Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > How long before your aftermarket tires go bald?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Harajuku
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW e92

How long before your aftermarket tires go bald?

I've had 19" rims and tires on my e92 for about 3,000 miles now. About 2,000 miles in I got a razor blade stuck in 1 of the rear tires so had to have it replaced. At that point I hadn't really noticed the treadwear until the tire shop told me that my other rear tire was past the wear point and it should also be repaired.

I looked at it and thought gosh the tread does seem very low for only 2k miles, but was too cheap to change it. Now after another 1k miles (3k total on my drivers side rear tire) the thing is almost completely bald. My front tires seem to have at least 70%+ tread left but the rears are wearing like there's no tomorrow.

I'm running General Exclaim UHP and I think the rear tire size is 265/30/19, also have H&R sport springs so that may speed up the treadwear. Can you guys let me know if you experience the same issue (those with aftermarket tires), and if you don't please let me know what brand you have because I need to change these rear tires to something a bit more durable.

what a car...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

thats very odd that your tires are almost bald only after 3k miles, i am also lowered on h&r sports, and i've been driving my car for over a yr and a half on my kumho 19s and i still have like 40% left in the rear

did you get alignment done after lowering?

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
Autobot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F22 M235 6MT

I have 19's on Generals with over 10K miles and they look like they can go a LOT longer
      04-11-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
Harajuku
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, thanks for the replies guys. I did get an alignment after I got the new wheels but maybe they did a bad job?

I guess it could be poor alignment but the car rides just fine - sounds like you guys are having a lot better luck than me. Anyhow I think probably in about a week I'll switch to the Kumho's and see how they fair, probably get another alignment too... hopefully this time they will last a bit longer..

what a car...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 04:42 AM   #5
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
I have 3k on my generals right now and they look new?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
T i h o r
n00b
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6spd

Go easy on the burnouts bro! lol
      04-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Harajuku
Lieutenant
Rep

Does anyone know if my alignment is off would that cause uneven treadwear on one side or the other, or could it potentially cause even treadwear on both sides of the tire but speed it up substantially?

The only reason I can see for the rear tires going bald at 3k miles is due to a misalignment, but the wear is even all the way around. Could this be caused by bad alignment as well?

what a car...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
My bet is the alignment.
      04-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harajuku View Post
Does anyone know if my alignment is off would that cause uneven treadwear on one side or the other, or could it potentially cause even treadwear on both sides of the tire but speed it up substantially?

The only reason I can see for the rear tires going bald at 3k miles is due to a misalignment, but the wear is even all the way around. Could this be caused by bad alignment as well?
It is more than likely the toe adjustment is out. Even if it is out slightly you can fry a set of tires in 1000 miles easy if your toe angle is out.

Bring it back to the shop that did the work and show them your tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Harajuku
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Nikolas. Is the toe adjustment also usually fixed when an alignment is done or is that completely separate? The guy I got the tires from probably doesn't want to deal with it (he has kinda a bad attitude), live and learn I guess....

what a car...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harajuku View Post
Thanks Nikolas. Is the toe adjustment also usually fixed when an alignment is done or is that completely separate? The guy I got the tires from probably doesn't want to deal with it (he has kinda a bad attitude), live and learn I guess....
your toe adjustment will definitely wear out your tires! Your camber will wear out the tire unevenly, but once it gets the inside tread on the same plane as the outside tread, it should wear at a normal pace.

if your toe is not adjusted properly (typically they make it inwards), the rear tires are like this:

/ \ (rears)
toe: looking from the top of your car down: (^ vehicle direction)

camber: looking from the rear of your car forwards (towards screen: vehicle direction)

you won't feel any negative impact too much, and actually you will get a bit more high speed stability if you have toe in, as each tire is pushing the vehicle towards it's ceterline. however, this will greatly accelerate your wear, as the tires always are run at a slip angle, as if it's sliding. when it goes straight forward, it's always scrubbing off tread, as if you're slightly drifting around corners.

do you have your alignment spec sheet? I'd recommend that rear to keep wear down, shouldn't be more than -1 deg. camber and not more than 1/16" toe in. good luck.
Appreciate 0