E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > My M.Benz hit on a drive by, BB gunned my window.

12-25-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

My M.Benz hit on a drive by, BB gunned my window.

Hey guys, need as much quick advice as I can.

This happened to my Mercedes last night. Multiple BB gun pellets drive by hit my driver rear window, after closing the door after inspection, it spider webbed and everything fell to pieces.

Insurance will cover 100% and I will pay the $500 deductible but this is vandalism and I am not at fault so does that mean I pay nothing? Being a lease car, do I let my dealer know that this happened?

The glass is made tinted.

I would rather get an original window from factory ordered from an Indy shop "B-Line Auto Body" in San Jose is my top choice, or bring it to the dealer since insurance pays for everything anyway.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
E92TTKING
Colonel
Greece
Rep
Drives: e92

be thankful it was only bb's!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

sorry to hear this. but i bet you're really glad its a lease right now lol. best of luck repairing it!
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Could've been worse, my wife and her coworkers have been targeted at work with their cars for the past 2 months for having slashed tires, windows broken and body damage from ex-coworkers that got fired. There are suspects but no evidence, all I need to know is their name and use my imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TTKING View Post
be thankful it was only bb's!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko kai View Post
Could've been worse, my wife and her coworkers have been targeted at work with their cars for the past 2 months for having slashed tires, windows broken and body damage from ex-coworkers that got fired. There are suspects but no evidence, all I need to know is their name and use my imagination.
Wow, WTF, such haters. Sorry that it happen to you during the holidays which is supposed to be peaceful.
      12-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

East Bay Area? Aka Oakland?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

San Leandro but this happened at Castro Valley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
East Bay Area? Aka Oakland?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
49ER ROLL
///Mmm
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 SG

that sucks bro!
      12-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Just because it was vandalism doesn't mean you don't pay the deductible. It's like uninsured motorists. Unless you can catch the perpetrators and get them to pay, you have to pay the deductible. Unless you have zero deductible comprehensive coverage.

No reason to tell the dealer just because it's a leased vehicle. When you turn in the car they will inspect it and charge you for any thing that is damaged or missing. Replace the window on your own and you'll be fine.

Since it's leased, just get the lowest price for replacement unless you're the obsessive type and needs everything to be 100% perfect. But remember that you don't own the car, you're simply renting it. You won't get any money back that you spend on it, ever.

Try using Safelite for the replacement. They will use OEM glass (if you ask) and they will install at your home and with a warranty. If you get a good installer (they are independent contractors) then it will be just like new.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
e36mcab
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e36mcab

What has this world come to?
'95 318ti - Alpine White *Sold*
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
BKap08
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI

holy shit thats terrible...i feel for you bro
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Thanks for the heads up, I'm babying this car for the long haul so it's more like my lease to own, $500 I'm cool with it, we all pay good money for insurance to cover us. Since my wife's job is offering to pay half of what I paid out of pocket, it's fine with me but I want that in writing. The repairs are going to be dealt with at the dealer, I'm not gonna cheap out on our cars.

I should've been done building my AR-15 by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Just because it was vandalism doesn't mean you don't pay the deductible. It's like uninsured motorists. Unless you can catch the perpetrators and get them to pay, you have to pay the deductible. Unless you have zero deductible comprehensive coverage.

No reason to tell the dealer just because it's a leased vehicle. When you turn in the car they will inspect it and charge you for any thing that is damaged or missing. Replace the window on your own and you'll be fine.

Since it's leased, just get the lowest price for replacement unless you're the obsessive type and needs everything to be 100% perfect. But remember that you don't own the car, you're simply renting it. You won't get any money back that you spend on it, ever.

Try using Safelite for the replacement. They will use OEM glass (if you ask) and they will install at your home and with a warranty. If you get a good installer (they are independent contractors) then it will be just like new.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #13
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

You still pay the deductible. However many insurance companies make an exception for glass so if your policy mentions that, you should be covered. Such senseless crime!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #14
GmoBmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Wow Wtf. Why the hell would people even do this?
      12-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #15
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko kai View Post
San Leandro but this happened at Castro Valley.
scary..I was just there helping my friend get an apartment in Castro Valley right near the BART station...I thought it was safe so I told him to do it...now I hope I didn't send him to a bad area...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 01:51 AM   #16
toplessrydr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E89 35i

Skip the dealer. Most dealer will call an independent glass company to do the work anyway. They just provide the glass if you request dealer glass. Ask your SA who they use or recommend and call direct. Your insurance company will probably not pay for a dealer glass. You'll be surprise you might end up only spending $250 intead of forking out the $500 deductible. One word of caution. Make sure the guy doing the work knows how to reset your window motor (if you have auto feature). I would watch the install and make sure they remove all (if not most of) the broken glass from the glass channel and regulator assembly. Test the window to make sure you don't hear glass pieces grinding when it rolls up and down. Not too critical but also make sure they vacuum all the glass out from the bottom of the door. I hate that rattling sound.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #17
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Castro is alright, it's only certain people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
scary..I was just there helping my friend get an apartment in Castro Valley right near the BART station...I thought it was safe so I told him to do it...now I hope I didn't send him to a bad area...
Actually the owner of the preferred dealer indy shop was there and once I saw the shop name I already knew I was in good hands. The dealer will order the OEM glass/parts and the shop will handle the labor. We were all on the same page as far as what needed to be repaired/checked/cleaned. And for sure I'll be taking my sweet a** time of every detail with my microscopic eye. Let's see if what we pay for on insurance doesn't cheap out on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplessrydr View Post
Skip the dealer. Most dealer will call an independent glass company to do the work anyway. They just provide the glass if you request dealer glass. Ask your SA who they use or recommend and call direct. Your insurance company will probably not pay for a dealer glass. You'll be surprise you might end up only spending $250 intead of forking out the $500 deductible. One word of caution. Make sure the guy doing the work knows how to reset your window motor (if you have auto feature). I would watch the install and make sure they remove all (if not most of) the broken glass from the glass channel and regulator assembly. Test the window to make sure you don't hear glass pieces grinding when it rolls up and down. Not too critical but also make sure they vacuum all the glass out from the bottom of the door. I hate that rattling sound.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #18
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

This is insane, I have never heard of this, will the police not patrol the area more if this is a problem? I hope you are able to get this taken care of but something must be done to stop this from happening again.
      12-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #19
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Police do patrol and the road is on a busy street and this was done in broad daylight. I guess they had a window of opportunity. This has been happening for the past 2 months with specific staff that work at her job. They know whose car to target, most likely camping out just waiting and taking notes. This is getting out of hand already because their bosses haven't done enough to stop it.

What if one day this person decides to shoot everyone at work or when they come off from work. Me and county deputies work together at my job and I know if something happens to me or family, someone will be taken cared of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
This is insane, I have never heard of this, will the police not patrol the area more if this is a problem? I hope you are able to get this taken care of but something must be done to stop this from happening again.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 04:09 AM   #20
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

They must install city cameras and this situation will be dealt with swiftly. The city must do more to protect its citizens, that is their responsibility.