E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320D Clutch judder - clutch and flywheel replacement

10-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
ilgidi
Rep
Drives: E91 320D Touring Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak View Post
I highly doubt it is one of the mounts mate. I agree, it does sound like its the DMF/Clutch. The latest editions of both parts drastically improve, if not cure the problem. I'd suggest visiting your local dealer and seeing if they will replace both as a goodwill gesture. Its not normal for these parts to fail at that sort of mileage so they may contribute to 100% parts and 50% labour, leaving you with 50% of labour to pay. That said, I see you are in Malta - not sure what the dealers are like over there, in terms of willingness to help/generousity!
Cheers mate. In fact I confirmed it wasn't mountings. I took off gear box cover and mountings look intact. Maybe it was wishful thinking. The dealer here ain't much of a good will type especially since my car was bought from the UK. Tomorrow I'll take it to my mate who's a car mechanic and open up the gear box to see damage. At least I managed to find parts from UK for about £525, which isn't bad considering. I don't like it but wtf can you do.

Cheers...I'll let your know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #24
ilgidi
Rep

Quote:
I highly doubt it is one of the mounts mate. I agree, it does sound like its the DMF/Clutch. The latest editions of both parts drastically improve, if not cure the problem. I'd suggest visiting your local dealer and seeing if they will replace both as a goodwill gesture. Its not normal for these parts to fail at that sort of mileage so they may contribute to 100% parts and 50% labour, leaving you with 50% of labour to pay. That said, I see you are in Malta - not sure what the dealers are like over there, in terms of willingness to help/generousity!
Hey there mate...I took the cover off yesterday and took some vids of the engine running and any noises. As you can see from the vids, there are no noises. The ones you hear are of the engine running normally, just noisy as it was in the garage. The ones I've seen with a faulty DMF had a really nasty noise, like metal plates banging. mine is weird. Still think it's the dmf. I'll try and get a vid with the DMF exposed and post it as well, to see if it has any unnecessary movement.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5121910/VID...016_203334.m4v
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5121910/VID...016_204423.m4v
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #25
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgidi View Post
Hey there mate...I took the cover off yesterday and took some vids of the engine running and any noises. As you can see from the vids, there are no noises. The ones you hear are of the engine running normally, just noisy as it was in the garage. The ones I've seen with a faulty DMF had a really nasty noise, like metal plates banging. mine is weird. Still think it's the dmf. I'll try and get a vid with the DMF exposed and post it as well, to see if it has any unnecessary movement.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5121910/VID...016_203334.m4v
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5121910/VID...016_204423.m4v
Nice socks.

I don't know if it's just the recording but something does sound very rough, from the video it sounds more like a rough idle rather than component noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #26
ilgidi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Nice socks.

I don't know if it's just the recording but something does sound very rough, from the video it sounds more like a rough idle rather than component noise.
Unfortunately it's the recording. I can hear it live obviously and it does not sound different than the usual. Furthermore, a friend of mine has a 120d with the same engine and they sound alike. It's not the sound that's distinguishing...it's the unusual vibrations in the clutch and the gear knob. If I happen to leave the door open...you'll literally see it shake. Well fingers crossed tomorrow I find out and hope, or wish, that it's an inexpensive fix.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #27
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

I completely missed that but on a second viewing it does look wrong, the DMF is the first thing that springs to mind with an issue like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #28
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

To be honest, from what I can see from the videos, the gearstick vibrations look to be within tolerances in the first vid, however it is more worse in the second vid and it doesn't look normal. Our cars have a vibration damper on the stick, take this off and you'll see how bad it actually vibrates without it. Before you take the gearbox out, i'd check the linkages between the gearstick, going into the gearbox for signs of excessive play.

Should you take the gearbox off, check the selector fork, release bearing and ancillaries. If all looks ship shape, then only would I look at changing the flywheel. Its worth changing just the clutch kit though if you remove the gearbox, just for piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #29
ilgidi
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, from what I can see from the videos, the gearstick vibrations look to be within tolerances in the first vid, however it is more worse in the second vid and it doesn't look normal. Our cars have a vibration damper on the stick, take this off and you'll see how bad it actually vibrates without it. Before you take the gearbox out, i'd check the linkages between the gearstick, going into the gearbox for signs of excessive play.

Should you take the gearbox off, check the selector fork, release bearing and ancillaries. If all looks ship shape, then only would I look at changing the flywheel. Its worth changing just the clutch kit though if you remove the gearbox, just for piece of mind.
Cheers for the info. I could only manage to see the mountings of the gearbox from under the car yesterday as I only have a hydraulic jack. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a look when it's on the 4 point lift. Didn't think about the selector fork and the rest tbh. Is it really worth changing the clutch if the DMF looks intact? I mean if the clutch looks fine too that is.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #30
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cheers for the info. I could only manage to see the mountings of the gearbox from under the car yesterday as I only have a hydraulic jack. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a look when it's on the 4 point lift. Didn't think about the selector fork and the rest tbh. Is it really worth changing the clutch if the DMF looks intact? I mean if the clutch looks fine too that is.
In my opinion, if you take the gearbox out, you might as well replace it for piece of mind and at 50k, there is probably some wear to it, so you will renew its life.

As an example, my old VW Polo needed to have its gearbox refurbished so the gearbox and clutch was removed. After it was done, the garage refitted the old clutch as it only had 45k miles and was in good condition. However, I found that the clutch release bearing started to make a noise and therefore had to opt for a brand new clutch kit to fix. In the long run it cost me more to put right than just changing it while the box was out. From my experience, once things are disturbed then can go wrong or loosen up, so as a matter of course, I always try to replace bits for piece of mind (where expensive labour costs are concerned). You should be able to pick up a LUK clutch kit for £250 for a 320d (I think a genuine one - which is probably the better option as it cures the judder issue if you have it - is £350ish here in the UK, from what my dealer told me when mine was done under warranty)

Good luck in finding the problem mate!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #31
ilgidi
Rep

Interesting Read about DMFs

http://www.techtalk.ie/index.php/why...heels-fail/706
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #32
ilgidi
Rep

Quote:
In my opinion, if you take the gearbox out, you might as well replace it for piece of mind and at 50k, there is probably some wear to it, so you will renew its life.

As an example, my old VW Polo needed to have its gearbox refurbished so the gearbox and clutch was removed. After it was done, the garage refitted the old clutch as it only had 45k miles and was in good condition. However, I found that the clutch release bearing started to make a noise and therefore had to opt for a brand new clutch kit to fix. In the long run it cost me more to put right than just changing it while the box was out. From my experience, once things are disturbed then can go wrong or loosen up, so as a matter of course, I always try to replace bits for piece of mind (where expensive labour costs are concerned). You should be able to pick up a LUK clutch kit for £250 for a 320d (I think a genuine one - which is probably the better option as it cures the judder issue if you have it - is £350ish here in the UK, from what my dealer told me when mine was done under warranty)

Good luck in finding the problem mate!
Well...I meant to write sooner but had no time. Last Monday I took the car to the workshop and lo and behold....it was the DMF (image attached - bearing is off centred). It had gone off from the centre bearing.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2yt945h1r...2-13-32-14.jpg

Got it replaced as well as the clutch for €880 inc work...which is not bad I think. Didn't feel like spending them but what the hell can you do. Now the car feels smoother than ever. Before the fix, the car used to judder when pulling out on 1st gear...especially on hills. Even with the CDV removed, it still juddered. Now it's as smooth as silk. So the problem was there...I just accentuated it when I pulled out a little strongly. Now I am a happy soul again...albeit 880 euro poorer.

Thanks to all

Last edited by ilgidi; 10-24-2012 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: wrong image
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #33
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well...I meant to write sooner but had no time. Last Monday I took the car to the workshop and lo and behold....it was the DMF (image attached - bearing is off centred). It had gone off from the centre bearing.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2yt945h1r...2-13-32-14.jpg

Got it replaced as well as the clutch for €880 inc work...which is not bad I think. Didn't feel like spending them but what the hell can you do. Now the car feels smoother than ever. Before the fix, the car used to judder when pulling out on 1st gear...especially on hills. Even with the CDV removed, it still juddered. Now it's as smooth as silk. So the problem was there...I just accentuated it when I pulled out a little strongly. Now I am a happy soul again...albeit 880 euro poorer.

Thanks to all
Glad you got it sorted mate
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #34
ilgidi
Rep

Quote:
Glad you got it sorted mate
Cheers mate.
Appreciate 0