E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

11-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #1453
SMILEYS 325I
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 2006 325I

What products should I use on my titanium silver?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #1454
mikechow
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Sorry to hear it the headliner can be cleaned with any good carpet cleaner. I personally like to use the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover and a good scrub brush with medium stiffness. Spray the stain and let it sit for a minute then agitate it with the brush. If needed dip your brush in a tiny bit of warm water and work the brush in multiple directions. It should fix the situation and have the headliner looking new again.

Greg @ DI
Thanks Greg! ill order the stuff right now!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #1455
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMILEYS 325I View Post
What products should I use on my titanium silver?
In general I use the same shampoo, clay bar and polishes that I would use on any other color. Occasionally I recommend a different sealant but the waxes have the greatest variation based on color. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is an outstanding sealant that always looks great. After that I apply a wax for added depth and gloss. If money is not a factor the Chemical Guys E-zyme Natura or the Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax. For a bit more reasonable pricing the Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax is outstanding as it's specifically designed for lighter colors. It makes the paint look incredibly deep and glossy while providing the well known protection that comes with Dodo Juice waxes. For a great value try the Chemical Guys XXX Hard Core Paste Wax which produces results like a true high end wax for much less. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #1456
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
If you want to tackle the orange peel you'll need some extra power so I'd suggest getting the Menzerna Advanced Polish and Protection Kit. It contains several of my favorite polishes and a top quality sealant for protection and enhanced shine afterward.

Here are the pads I'd get with each polish to tackle the orange peel and really restore the paint.

Menzerna Power Gloss - Surbuf Pad
Menzerna SI 1500 - Lake Country Orange Pad
Menzerna SF 4000 - Lake Country White Pad
Menzerna SF4500 - Lake Country Blue Pad
Menzerna Power Lock - Lake Country Blue Pad (separate one from above)

If you have any questions please let me know!

Greg @ DI
You're telling him that a PC can tackle orange peel? Even a rotary would take forever to correct orange peel. A PC vs. orange peel is 100% futile. The only practical way of eliminating orange peel is through wet sanding, unless you feel like spending a thousand hours on the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #1457
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emory335 View Post
Hi there, what methods and products would you recommend to clean/maintain a suede steering wheel? Thanks.
Suede is one of my least favorite surfaces to clean because it can be a bit sensitive. For maintenance purposes try to make sure you're hands are clean and avoid having lotions, creams, etc. on your hands. For cleanings I would use a very soft brush like the DI Brushes Horse's Hair Upholstery Brush and wipe with light pressure. This should help break up and remove most loose contaminants trapped in the wheel. In general you don't want to wet suede so I avoid using water or cleaners whenever possible. If it's really dirty though take a soft cloth and get it slightly damp and spray a little bit of the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover on it and wipe the stained areas. When you are done blot dry it with a dry cloth and then brush it again to help remove some of the moisture and make sure you leave the windows down so you can get some ventilation in there and it dries quick.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #1458
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
You're telling him that a PC can tackle orange peel? Even a rotary would take forever to correct orange peel. A PC vs. orange peel is 100% futile. The only practical way of eliminating orange peel is through wet sanding, unless you feel like spending a thousand hours on the car.
You are right I should have provided more details on the options for the entire corrective process. Wet sanding is critical to getting the best results if you're goal is to fully remove the orange peel. Some people just want the paint to look it's best as is and others are ambitious enough to try and fully remove orange peel. Starting off with a wet sanding and following up with a good polishing will help remove more of it but this process should be reserved for those with more time, patience and skills. If anyone is interested in learning more check out some of these articles/videos:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-it-a-problem/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-paint-of-it/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-cable-7424xp/ (with video)

Let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #1459
Energy_AZ
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 '07 335i

Hello

What are these spots and how do I remove them? They appear milky/grayish and within the paint itself as opposed to something on the surface. This is my 1st black car, I bought used and it needs a little TLC!
(light swirls, etc)
Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #1460
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Not sure exactly what that is, but I thank you for the pics it still helps. Since you said it's not on the paint but more likely etched in to it I suspect it's bird droppings or possibly sap that ate away at the finish. You can use a clay bar at first just to make sure the area is clean but it won't likely "fix" the marks. Next use a light polish to remove the marks, swirls, oxidation, etc. in the clear coat. The Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 is one of my favorite light polishes. If that doesn't work step up to the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 which is an outstanding polish that should definitely take care of it. If you are just doing those spots you'll be fine working it in by hand with good arm pressure. If you want to do the whole car and bring it back to like new condition pick up a safe and easy to use buffer like the PC 7424 XP. Check out this kit if interested as well - DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #1461
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

Hello DI,

I've own my BSM e90 for quite some time now and with the usual wears and tears of a 5 year old car, I wasn't too concern with the paint until I started modding. Getting new pieces painted I wanted to keep it as flawless as possible but upon the first wash, I noticed some VERY minor swirling and slight abrasion of the clear coat. Basically what I'm asking is what are the "proper" steps on washing AND detailing your car? From types of products to the frequency of the recycling of cloth and equipments used, etc. Thanks in advance!
      12-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #1462
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Restoring the paint to better than new condition will help highlight the mods you've done instead of detracting from them. We can definitely help you get your paint looking it's best again. First off I highly recommend checking out our detailing guide and our Ask a Pro Blog, both of them have a wealth of knowledge. I'll go ahead and outline a full detail that restores the paint and in between you should wash and protect every 4 months at a minimum, but obviously you can do it more often. I'll do a full detail at least 1 - 2 times per year but again the frequency is really up to you. A full detail to me consists of a wash, dry, clay bar, polish, sealant and/or wax. This process will deep clean the paint and make it really shine again while protecting it for months to come.

Wash/Dry - most swirls come from this process so quality products and techniques are critical. Check out our detailing guide for this step and other steps to maximize your efforts. Here are two awesome kits if interested.
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar - This step deep cleans the paint so it's free from stubborn build ups not removed by the washing process. This may seem complicated or different but it's pretty simple and basic. In short spray some clay lube on the paint and glide the bar side to side and picks up micro contaminants in the paint. Here is an excellent value on a clay bar and lube - DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube.

Polish - This is the step where you really restore the paint to like new again. You can permanently remove swirls, oxidation, etc. not just temporarily hide them. I highly recommend you consider getting a Porter Cable (PC) as they are so easy to use, vastly improve your results while saving you time and energy. We have some affordable kits that give you the PC, backing plate, pads and polishes you would need here DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit or DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads. Both kits give you the M105 and M205 polishes with the PC that are going to help you really restore the paint to like new. Best of all the PC is easy to use and completely safe even for a first time user. Check out our detailing guide for step by step instructions and other helpful hints.

If you prefer to do a hand application I generally just recommend a one step process with a foam applicator and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205.

Protection - After polishing protect and enhance the shine with a sealant or wax. Waxes last about 2 - 6 weeks so we generally recommend a sealant which lasts 3 - 6 months. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is my favorite sealant. It provides a remarkable shine with durable protection while easy to apply. You can apply it by hand or use a blue pad and your buffer. If you really want to you can apply a wax on top of the sealant for added protection and shine. The Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax is a great option for a quality liquid wax that works on all colors. If you want a bit more gloss from a paste wax try the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax or any of the Dodo Juice waxes. These options are applied by hand only but the exceptional gloss makes it well worth it.

I hand remove all of the excess product with a clean DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are paint safe and help quickly remove the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, etc. I'd suggest getting about 5x - 10x of them.

Now step back and admire how awesome your vehicle looks. If you have any other questions please let me know!

Take care!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #1463
TheVision
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i xDrive Coupe

Hi Greg,

I just recently stumbled upon this great thread and every bit of free time I get find myself going through the many pages learning very helpful things. I take delivery of a new 3 series coupe (Le Mans Blue) late December or early January, I live in Connecticut where temperatures are pretty cold during this time. My question to you is if there is anything I should/need to do to protect my car through the winter that the dealer hasn't done? Is ONR the best product to maintain my car through the winter? I plan on buying more products and doing a full detail come spring time. Please also let me know if I'm going the right route on products.

Thank you.

Recently Purchased from DI:
-Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe (S&W) - 16 oz (w/PBW Blue Trigger)
-Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash Cleaning Detergent
-Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR)
-303 Aerospace Protectant
-Dodo Juice Born to be Mild Shampoo
-DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel
-DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt
-DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel
-Grit Guard Grit Guard Insert

Plan on buying:
-Chemical Guys Citrus Wash
-Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer
-Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar
-Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205
-Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger
-Menzerna Top Inspection Spray
-Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #1464
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
Hi Greg,

I just recently stumbled upon this great thread and every bit of free time I get find myself going through the many pages learning very helpful things. I take delivery of a new 3 series coupe (Le Mans Blue) late December or early January, I live in Connecticut where temperatures are pretty cold during this time. My question to you is if there is anything I should/need to do to protect my car through the winter that the dealer hasn't done? Is ONR the best product to maintain my car through the winter? I plan on buying more products and doing a full detail come spring time. Please also let me know if I'm going the right route on products.

Thank you.

Recently Purchased from DI:
-Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe (S&W) - 16 oz (w/PBW Blue Trigger)
-Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash Cleaning Detergent
-Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR)
-303 Aerospace Protectant
-Dodo Juice Born to be Mild Shampoo
-DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel
-DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt
-DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel
-Grit Guard Grit Guard Insert

Plan on buying:
-Chemical Guys Citrus Wash
-Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer
-Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar
-Menzerna Top Inspection Spray
-Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer
Congrats on the new BMW! I'm happy to hear the thread has been so helpful, please also check out our Ask a Pro Blog and our detailing guide. I live in upstate NY so I can relate to the snowy and salty winter driving we have to endure. The BFWD should provide strong protection through these months.

Thank you for the purchase and I really like your plan going forward, I can tell you've done your homework. The only key parts I see missing is the backing plate, 2x White Pads and 1x Blue Pad (if you want to apply the Wet Diamond with the buffer).

I personally don't trust any dealer prep, they often make the paint look worse. I would suggest telling them you don't want it prepped, I even pulled the plastic off my own new car. The dealership I went to thought I was crazy but I was so happy to do this myself.

The ONR is what I use in the winter months primarily because it's too cold for a traditional wash. The Born To Be Mild could also be used it's just tough to use a hose afterwards to rinse it off. The ONR makes winter washing so much easier!

Here are my other new cart tips primarily for the interior since you already did a great job with the exterior. 303 Aerospace Protectant protects just about the whole interior (vinyl, plastic, rubber, leather). It blocks out UV rays and preserves the finish so apply it to the dashboard, doors, console, arm rests, exterior trim, rubber moldings, etc. etc. Protecting the carpets and mats is super easy just mist the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on them and you are done! It will help repel moisture and the fabric will look exactly the same. It's such an easy step that many people skip over but trust me it's well worth it. The SONAX Leather Foam can be used on the leather as well to keep it clean, without any extra gloss or shine that is generally not good for the leather.

I love the new SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect which is very strong yet pH neutral and totally safe to use. It helps clean the wheels quickly and effectively! To protect the wheels you can use the same sealant listed above or get something like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. If you want the tires looking like new year round the TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit is an amazing product. It provides a semi-permanet coating that keeps the tires looking new, repelling moisture and contaminants while still good for the rubber.

Let me know if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #1465
TheVision
Rep

Thanks Greg I appreciate the reply. I will definitely add your product recommendations to the my list. I have a question concerning the backing plate/pad size I should purchase. Can you let me know the best pad/pad size for each product? And lastly do you think the combination below will yield the best results for the LeMans Blue?

-Chemical Guys Extreme EZ-Creme Glaze with Acrylic Shine II
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #1466
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Greg I appreciate the reply. I will definitely add your product recommendations to the my list. I have a question concerning the backing plate/pad size I should purchase. Can you let me know the best pad/pad size for each product? And lastly do you think the combination below will yield the best results for the LeMans Blue?

-Chemical Guys Extreme EZ-Creme Glaze with Acrylic Shine II
Those products should make the LeMans Blue look fantastic! The only thing you could also add would be a wax like the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax or the Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Hard Wax after the sealant. Both waxes will add more protection and and a lot of gloss as they are both designed specifically for darker colored paints.

With a PC you'll get more polishing power from a smaller pad. I generally recommend the 5" backing plate and the 5.5" pads. I'd pick up the black pad for the e-z creme glaze but other pads could work. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #1467
TheVision
Rep

Thanks Greg! The help is much appreciated. I feel very confident going forward with detailing on my own.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #1468
litt
Private
Rep
Drives: Raptor, Macan S, M5C

Wow what a great thread.

I searched on this topic but information seems to change over the years, I am guessing due to different and new products so going to ask again and look for a recommendation.

I have an alpine white x3 on order and am planning on getting my detail needs done for xmas. I will be getting the porter xp. For the interior (black leather) it seems the recommended product is the 303 line.

What do you recommend for the exterior? I am thinking wash, clay bar, glaze (is this necessary?), sealer, and wax. I realize white isn't a color the "pops" like other colors, but I want it to pop as much as possible. When you buy the more expensive waxes/sealents, is there really a noticeable difference? What do you recommend for the wheels? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by litt; 12-06-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #1469
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Greg! The help is much appreciated. I feel very confident going forward with detailing on my own.
Great to hear. As always if you need any other tips please let me know!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #1470
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litt View Post
Wow what a great thread.

I searched on this topic but information seems to change over the years, I am guessing due to different and new products so going to ask again and look for a recommendation.

I have an alpine white x3 on order and am planning on getting my detail needs done for xmas. I will be getting the porter xp. For the interior (black leather) it seems the recommended product is the 303 line.

What do you recommend for the exterior? I am thinking wash, clay bar, glaze (is this necessary?), sealer, and wax. I realize white isn't a color the "pops" like other colors, but I want it to pop as much as possible. When you buy the more expensive waxes/sealents, is there really a noticeable difference? What do you recommend for the wheels? Thanks for any help.
I'm here to help so thank you for the questions. You are right the recommendations do change over the years and for each particular customer as well.

Let's start off with the exterior. A glaze is not necessary and if you want to skip any step this is definitely the one to skip in my opinion. I would however add in a polish as this is arguably the most important step in the process.

Here is what I'd suggest for you:

Wash and Dry
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package - wash and dry safely so you don't add more swirls
CarPro Iron X Iron Remover - Use during the washing process to remove stubborn deposits

Clay Bar
DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube - clay bar and lube at a great price

Polish
This is the step where you really restore the paint to like new again. You can permanently remove swirls, oxidation, etc. not just temporarily hide them. The PC is a huge help with this step as it works in the polish far better than a hand application. We have some great kits that give you the PC, backing plate, pads and polishes you would need here DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit or DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads. Both kits give you the M105 and M205 polishes with the PC that are going to help you really restore the paint to like new. Best of all the PC is easy to use and completely safe even for a first time user. Check out our detailing guide for step by step instructions and other helpful hints.

Protection - After polishing protect and enhance the shine with a sealant or wax. Waxes last about 2 - 6 weeks so we generally recommend a sealant which lasts 3 - 6 months. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is my favorite sealant. It provides a remarkable shine with durable protection while easy to apply. You can apply it by hand or use a blue pad and your buffer. If you really want to you can apply a wax on top of the sealant for added protection and shine.

A wax is not necessary because the sealant will provide excellent protection and a great shine, but some people enjoy the glossy appearance and added protection of a wax. If interested the Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax looks amazing on white as it's specifically designed for this color. If you want something more affordable the Chemical Guys XXX Hard Core Paste Wax is a great choice as well! How much difference you notice between these waxes often varies tremendously by personal opinion and that particular vehicle. I don't think the difference is often huge so it's certainly not a must have and it comes down to more personal preference and finances.

I hand remove all of the excess product with a clean DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are paint safe and help quickly remove the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, etc. I'd suggest getting about 5x - 10x of them.

Interior Cleaning and Protection
To clean most of the interior I use the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover, it's extremely effective. I use it to clean the carpets, mats, dashboard, doors, console, trim, etc. For fabrics spray them directly and use a brush to remove stains. For the rest of the interior spray it on a good microfiber towel and wipe the area. 303 Aerospace Protectant protects just about the whole interior (vinyl, plastic, rubber, leather). It blocks out UV rays and preserves the finish so apply it to the dashboard, doors, console, arm rests, exterior trim, rubber moldings, etc. etc. Protecting the carpets and mats is super easy just mist the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on them and you are done! It will help repel moisture and the fabric will look exactly the same. It's such an easy step that many people skip over but trust me it's well worth it. The Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil is my go to leather care combo. They can be used to restore faded leather or use a bit less to maintain newer leather. The formula is all natural and it helps keep the leather soft and flexible yet strong and durable. If you want a one step process the SONAX Leather Foam can be used on the leather as well to keep it clean, without any extra gloss or shine that is generally not good for the leather.

Wheels
I love the new SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect which is very strong yet pH neutral and totally safe to use. It helps clean the wheels quickly and effectively! To protect the wheels you can use the same sealant listed above or get something like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant.

Tires
If you want the tires looking like new year round the TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit is an amazing product. It provides a semi-permanet coating that keeps the tires looking new, repelling moisture and contaminants while still good for the rubber.

Wow we covered a ton of information here so let me know if you have any questions at all. Take care!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #1471
IlliniDave
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i SGM/PP/SP/Nav

I've found Collinite 845 as a good LSP on white cars...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #1472
litt
Private
Rep
Drives: Raptor, Macan S, M5C

Hi Greg,
What do you suggest for taking car of a clear bra?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #1473
TheVision
Rep

Hi Greg,

I was wondering what the best way to clean snow off the car would be? We've been pretty lucky in CT so far with no snow, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #1474
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by litt View Post
Hi Greg,
What do you suggest for taking car of a clear bra?
heat, start at a corner and peel back TOWARDS you heating up the front of the film, then clean up the residue that might not pull off with the film with stoners tarminator. Its relatively simple, but I have seen some films take paint with it. Thats usually when the panel has been repainted though
Appreciate 0