E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

07-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #1167
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I recently ordered DI Microfiber The Great White clothes. It says in the description to wash with the CG microfiber detergent ideally. Is it still safe to use regular Tide detergent or do you recommend ordering the microfiber detergent?
If you are going to use a detergent you can find locally, try to use something like Tide Free. Remember you want to avoid using anything with fabric softener as well. CG Microfiber Detergent is a nice product but not a necessary one. I'd recommend reading over these couple Microfiber Care articles to keep your microfiber like new as long as possible:

Caring for Microfiber
Proper Microfiber Care

Thanks again for your support.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #1168
fadelj
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Coupe

Spilled Paint M Coupe Help

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remove spilled LATEX EXTERIOR paint from plastic, carpeted and metallic surfaces in the hatchback of my M Coupe? Little problem scraping off paint from glass but not certain what can be done with remaining damage. See pics:

https://www.me.com/gallery/#home

Thanks

BTW car been parked in the sun for about three weeks now.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #1169
BlackBimmer1991
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black f32 428i xdrive

Hey guys I have two long scratches on my door. I already put touch up paint on it (let it dry) and then wet sanded useing bmws kit. It helped alittle but not completely. Anything else I can do?
      08-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #1170
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadelj View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remove spilled LATEX EXTERIOR paint from plastic, carpeted and metallic surfaces in the hatchback of my M Coupe? Little problem scraping off paint from glass but not certain what can be done with remaining damage. See pics:

https://www.me.com/gallery/#home

Thanks

BTW car been parked in the sun for about three weeks now.
I'm not too versed in paint removal. I'd talk to a body shop for advice on something like that. That link didn't work but if it was the same one you sent to our Ask a Pro section, it looks like you had quite a mess on your hands. I forwarded it onto the other pro's on our site to take a look but I'd seek a paint professional (body work / shop) as they come across this problem more regularly. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBimmer1991 View Post
Hey guys I have two long scratches on my door. I already put touch up paint on it (let it dry) and then wet sanded useing bmws kit. It helped alittle but not completely. Anything else I can do?
After you wet sand it, you'll have sanding marks remaining... you'll want to polish those out to restore some of the depth and gloss in the finish and help further level out the scratch. This is going to best be done with a quality buffer and polishes. Check out Meguiar's M105 / M205 if you want to take a stab at it by hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #1171
BlackBimmer1991
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black f32 428i xdrive

I already polished it but u can still see the scratches
      08-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #1172
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBimmer1991 View Post
I already polished it but u can still see the scratches
You could try to reapply more touch up. So what your saying is the touch up covered the scratch but you can still see where the scratch was? If that's the case, then you need to keep reapplying coats of touch up letting each one try until you clearly are blobbed above the regular paint, then sand it down, hopefully that provides a more uniform finish if I'm understanding the situation properly.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #1173
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Can I use exterior or interior quick detailer on my engine cover and other engine bay things to get them clean and shiny? Or do I need special cleaner to deal with the heat, and if so, what do you recommend? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #1174
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Can I use exterior or interior quick detailer on my engine cover and other engine bay things to get them clean and shiny? Or do I need special cleaner to deal with the heat, and if so, what do you recommend? Thanks
Good to see you around Prowess, hope life's treating ya well in the M3.

I simply use a degreaser to clean the grime then top it with something like 303 Aerospace to give the engine cover and plastics a clean dressed look. You can certainly use QD (it won't hurt anything), but you will probably have better luck busting grime with a true degreaser. The QD might leave the dressed shine you're looking for after things are clean though.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #1175
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Good to see you around Prowess, hope life's treating ya well in the M3.

I simply use a degreaser to clean the grime then top it with something like 303 Aerospace to give the engine cover and plastics a clean dressed look. You can certainly use QD (it won't hurt anything), but you will probably have better luck busting grime with a true degreaser. The QD might leave the dressed shine you're looking for after things are clean though.
Hey jopa, life with the m is good, but mpg is bad. m3 forums are pretty dead too.

I dont have much grease in the engine bay area, I usually wipe it down once a week during my normal wash. I mainly just want to keep the engine cover shiny. I just didnt know how QD would react to high engine temps.

Once I run out of ONR and meguiars quick detailer, which are the only two things im currently using, I think im gonna do a bit of shopping and buy all new stuff and new brands i havent tried. Engine cleaners, wheel dressings, waxes, everything! Oh and a set of those little detailing brushes!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #1176
PandaBear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive

Garage List
2009 335i X-Drive  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
what can i use to clean my stock exhaust tips on my e92?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:15 AM   #1177
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I have the brushed tips on my E92 - they seem to collect black soot only around the very edge. I just use very fine '000' or '0000' steel wool and it takes it rite off without any scratching...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:19 AM   #1178
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey jopa, life with the m is good, but mpg is bad. m3 forums are pretty dead too.

I dont have much grease in the engine bay area, I usually wipe it down once a week during my normal wash. I mainly just want to keep the engine cover shiny. I just didnt know how QD would react to high engine temps.

Once I run out of ONR and meguiars quick detailer, which are the only two things im currently using, I think im gonna do a bit of shopping and buy all new stuff and new brands i havent tried. Engine cleaners, wheel dressings, waxes, everything! Oh and a set of those little detailing brushes!
Definitely try the P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner - on sale rite now at Detailed Image

That stuff puts the Meguires All Wheel Cleaner that I had previously been using to shame. I bought the 500ml Spray bottle & 1000ml refill, but I find I'm gonna need to reorder & get the 5000ml refill.

Also really liking the Blackfire Sealant/Wax Combo & the Poor Boys Bug n Tar Remover...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #1179
the_doctor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 335xi 6MT

Hi George,

I have a new 2011 e92 in alpine white; I don't believe any polish is necessary since there are no swirls I can spot. I was wondering whether the following combinations of sealants / waxes would work:

1) Purpose: Protection through Canadian winter (lots of road salt, rare washes)

- prep with clay
- Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant
- Collinite 845 on top (since I've been told this is actually carnauba and therefore can sit on top of a sealant?)

How long does it take for #21 to cure before I apply 845? Or am I better off just using the clay and 845 and skipping the #21?

2) Purpose: Lots of shine for the summer

- prep with clay
- Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite
- Dodo Juice Supernatural

Or should I put #21 between the Lime Prime Lite and Supernatural? Are there bonding issues? Should I even bother? I'm willing to wax every 2 mths during the summer.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #1180
Jules-B
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Autovogue 335i

What do i wash all of my wash mitts, microfibres etc in? I am machine washing at 30 degrees c but not sure on what powder/liquid to use. Non biological im guessing?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #1181
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Many detailers will use ONR that it sounds like you already have for quick clean ups of the engine bay if you aren't doing a full degreasing. You can follow up with something like 303 Aerospace Protectant, Fade 2 Black, etc. for some added gloss and or protection. You will be ok with any of those products in terms of the heat of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear View Post
what can i use to clean my stock exhaust tips on my e92?
Steel wool paired up with a good metal polish like Optimum Metal Polish is a nice combo. Here's a good article on exhaust tip cleaning. Many people enjoy P21S Metal Polishing Soap which also comes with an applicator pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Definitely try the P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner - on sale rite now at Detailed Image

That stuff puts the Meguires All Wheel Cleaner that I had previously been using to shame. I bought the 500ml Spray bottle & 1000ml refill, but I find I'm gonna need to reorder & get the 5000ml refill.

Also really liking the Blackfire Sealant/Wax Combo & the Poor Boys Bug n Tar Remover...
All great products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules-B View Post
What do i wash all of my wash mitts, microfibres etc in? I am machine washing at 30 degrees c but not sure on what powder/liquid to use. Non biological im guessing?
If you're looking for something you can pick up locally, go with something like Tide Free and use about half of the recommended amount for your microfiber. Be sure not to use any fabric softener too. Here's a good link for properly caring for your microfiber towels. Also see: Microfiber Care. For your wash mitt, I typically just rinse them out with free flowing water and if anything let them soak a little in some mild cleaner prior to the rinse. You want to avoid washing sheepskin wash mitts in the washer and dryer, they will deteriorate the life of them.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #1182
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I need something that makes the tires shiny and cleans the rims at the same time. Do they make something like that? I hate having to wipe off my tire shine off of the rims after cleaning them.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #1183
Missoap
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

Hi there,
after my last trip i got lazy and didn't clean off the bugs on the front bumper and hood. it has been a week and when i washed my car today the bugs came off but they left little yellowish spots on the paint. any idea how i can get them off?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #1184
bmw-er1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

need help, i just got an oil change and i think they dropped some oil on my gloss grille. Now its has something that looks like water spots. I can remove it. I tried even vingear. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #1185
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I need something that makes the tires shiny and cleans the rims at the same time. Do they make something like that? I hate having to wipe off my tire shine off of the rims after cleaning them.
Unfortunately, I don't know a product that dresses the tires and cleans the wheels at the same time. I don't think it's possible to create a product that cleans brake dust and leaves behind a dressing. I know of products that clean both the tires and the wheels, such as Blackfire Wheel and Tire Gel, but you still need to dress the tires after cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoap View Post
Hi there,
after my last trip i got lazy and didn't clean off the bugs on the front bumper and hood. it has been a week and when i washed my car today the bugs came off but they left little yellowish spots on the paint. any idea how i can get them off?
Thanks!
You should be able to remove the yellow spots by using a fine grade clay bar and some clay lube. After claying the area to remove the bug remains, be sure to follow up with some protection as the claying process will diminish the durability, if not remove, the rest of your protection on your paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-er1 View Post
need help, i just got an oil change and i think they dropped some oil on my gloss grille. Now its has something that looks like water spots. I can remove it. I tried even vingear. Any ideas?
I'd try a chemical polish on the grill, something like Klasse All In One would be the first thing I turn to. Beyond that you can try various or stronger polishes to try to remove the stains.

Hope this helps guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 02:17 AM   #1186
PandaBear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive

Garage List
2009 335i X-Drive  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
where can i purchase the 0000 steel wool to clean my exhaust tips with?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 04:32 AM   #1187
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Can I use Merzerna Sealing Wax by hand on Ventureshield? Can I also use Opti-seal on Ventureshield too?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 04:47 AM   #1188
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear View Post
where can i purchase the 0000 steel wool to clean my exhaust tips with?
I got mine at local hardware store. I'm pretty sure you can pick it up at either lowes or Home Depot also
Appreciate 0