E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > New diesel fuel

09-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #67
temporaptor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335D MSport / 12 X5 35d

Sorry for the repost earlier, but in my vw Tdi I've noticed a 2-3 mpg loss, but I'm only on my second tank. Takes awhile to fill up when you can go over 700 miles on a tank of fuel. My X5 35d has gone from all highway miles to all city miles at the same time I made the switch to HPR, so hard to tell.
Last tank of HPR in th X5 35d was 17.5 MPG all city.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #68
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Two observations thus far. 1) For the first time ever my car stalled. I have no idea if the stall was related to the HPR fuel or was due, say, to my EGR block. That said, I have been running my EGR plates for six weeks without any incidents. I ran Carly post stall and only got the usual EGR related codes. In short, the only thing that changed was the fuel.

Good news, I have had fewer regens. That has to be related to the fuel. For the first time ever, I went through an entire tank of diesel without a regen.
I express no opinion as to the likelihood, but there is a theory that would cover both.

The combustion byproducts of HPR are different from those of D2 and regens are triggered by the DDE based on measurements expected from D2 combustion. Thus, a certain measurement may be lower running HPR and yet total particulate matter may remain the same or higher. Thus, DPF may need regens just as often, but are not triggered by the HPR combustion byproducts. Backpressure in the DPF could then be causing combustion issues including stalls.

Not saying its the case but its plausible.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing. For example, a regen kicked off today but I noticed that the soot mass as measured by Carly did not drop as much as it usually does after a regen, e.g., 6 grams of soot vs 2 grams. I am beginning to have some vague concerns for those of us with mostly intact emission systems and introducing a new variable to the mix.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #69
remlemasi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335d | i3 REx

Garage List
2015 i3 REx  [0.00]
2011 BMW E90 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Two observations thus far. 1) For the first time ever my car stalled. I have no idea if the stall was related to the HPR fuel or was due, say, to my EGR block. That said, I have been running my EGR plates for six weeks without any incidents. I ran Carly post stall and only got the usual EGR related codes. In short, the only thing that changed was the fuel.

Good news, I have had fewer regens. That has to be related to the fuel. For the first time ever, I went through an entire tank of diesel without a regen.
I express no opinion as to the likelihood, but there is a theory that would cover both.

The combustion byproducts of HPR are different from those of D2 and regens are triggered by the DDE based on measurements expected from D2 combustion. Thus, a certain measurement may be lower running HPR and yet total particulate matter may remain the same or higher. Thus, DPF may need regens just as often, but are not triggered by the HPR combustion byproducts. Backpressure in the DPF could then be causing combustion issues including stalls.

Not saying its the case but its plausible.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing. For example, a regen kicked off today but I noticed that the soot mass as measured by Carly did not drop as much as it usually does after a regen, e.g., 6 grams of soot vs 2 grams. I am beginning to have some vague concerns for those of us with mostly intact emission systems and introducing a new variable to the mix.
Hmm... I hope this doesn't make things worse.

Regarding HPR triggering regents less despite having same or more soot clogging up the filter, I don't buy it. This stuff is shown to produce significantly less particular matter than D2.

Do we know exactly what triggers a regen? How is PM mass measured?
      09-08-2015, 11:27 PM   #70
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Off topic, Remlemasi, those are nice HRE wheels. Which model number did you get? Those things are pricey at ~$1400 per corner and up. I like the 303M but low on my priority list.

Back to the HPR/HVO fuel thread.
I just got them new at mod bargains a couple weeks ago
Hre ff01 19 inch with new hankook tires installed with Tpms switched for 3100
And an 80 tire rebate on top of that. I was going to order the forgestars but the wait was 2-3 months. They offered me a nice discount on them so I took them.

I am also noticing decreased city mileage and increased highway mileage. I track my mileage with an app and am only going to be fueling from hpr from now on unless a take a long trip, so I will report back with results.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #71
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by remlemasi View Post
Hmm... I hope this doesn't make things worse.

Regarding HPR triggering regents less despite having same or more soot clogging up the filter, I don't buy it. This stuff is shown to produce significantly less particular matter than D2.

Do we know exactly what triggers a regen? How is PM mass measured?
Even the BMW diesel technology workbook just says DDE decides based on
multiple factors; another theory is that post injection temps dont get as high thus less matter burned? who knows.

my primary concern if I were running HPR would be gumming up of parts similar to B20+ concentrations, but I have no idea if thats a risk or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 12:10 AM   #72
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

I have not noticed any improvement in MPG. The regens have been the same too.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #73
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport

I have run HPR for 1000 miles and no real difference in MPG at all. The engine is just really quiet and smoother. I also get no more pending codes from JBD at 100% so far. Hopefully there will be less carbon problems if i run it full time.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #74
GaryE30
COAL FED
Rep
Drives: 335d, M3, X5

I'd be happy running this stuff with 0 improvement to fuel mileage, just less particulates / carbon build up. These cars get great MPG when they're clean.

Unfortunately its not sold on the east coast.
      11-28-2015, 01:24 AM   #75
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Just drove down to the Peninsula from the East Bay. With four people in the car I averaged 40.5 mpg. Unreal.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 01:51 AM   #76
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I got tank on my way back from LA to SF. MPG was the same, however the car is quieter, not my imagination I used DB iPhone app before my first tank, drove the car for 50miles and took the measurement again. It is 5db lower. I did use power diesel ad, just to add more lubrication although HPS Diesel supposed to fine. Got another tank once I hit Bay Area. We will see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #77
magicbmw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d BPC II+Tune,EGR/SCR,

Garage List
2011 335D Sedan  [0.00]
2011 335D Sedan  [0.00]
the highest cetane on east is like 45, would LUV 2 see sum of what ya'll r gettn
Appreciate 0