E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Review - Continental ContiSportContact 5P (and new BMW Performance 269 wheels)

08-02-2010, 05:01 AM   #23
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Nice review ! Have you considered the Bridgestone Potenza S001 in your research ? I find them extremely good...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 05:06 AM   #24
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiz View Post
Are these summer only tyres? You know any tyres good for all year round?
Yes they're summer tyres predominantly, although they will work in wet weather fantastically well.

They're not all seasons though, as when it gets really cold (one or two degrees) the rubber doesn't work as effectively. At that point you should really be using a set of winter wheels, which will be much better in icy and snowy conditions.

It's more expensive, but you're actually better off using two sets of wheels - get a cheap set of alloys for the winter tyres and you're sorted.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 05:08 AM   #25
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Nice review ! Have you considered the Bridgestone Potenza S001 in your research ? I find them extremely good...
Yes, and I drove a Merc SLK fitted with those It was a wet day and I just didn't know where the car was on the road - I found the wet weather grip sub-par if I'm being honest. Maybe it was the Merc, but I doubt the understeer would have been as bad with even the Michelin PS2s, nevermind the new Continentals. I found I had to drive more delicately with those Bridgestones, moderating my steering input, whereas with the Continentals I can chuck the car into a corner with the knowledge that there'd be grip.

Sorry, I know you've just got a set of S001 for your car - if they work for you then great. I just didn't like them on that rainy day. I have no idea what they are like in the dry - they should be very good as the 050As previously weren't bad. If I lived in Dubai I wouldn't have a problem with the Bridgestones, but given England is more rainy than dry, my preference is for the Continentals, not the Bridgestones.

Sport Auto in Germany conducted a review of ultra-high-performance tyres - their tests were very much weighted in favour of dry-performance with wet-weather results taking a backseat. The Bridgestone actually came out on top when tested on a FWD Focus RS, with the Continentals fractionally behind. However the Continentals were quite far ahead in the wet weather tests, and if the tests were conducted on a more equally balanced basis, the Continentals would be out in front.

Auto Bild conducted a similar test, and placed the Bridgestones third in the test behind the old ContiSport Contact 3 and the Pirelli PZero. Just shows that tyre tests are very much dependent on the car used to test - the Sport Auto test was done on a front-wheel-drive Focus RS, the Auto Bild on a rear-wheel-drive Mercedes C63 AMG with almost 500bhp.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 05:31 AM   #26
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucepan View Post
Hi E92Fan.....great review, cheers. I may well go for these as I need to change my run flats. I am a bit confused regarding the width of trye I should opt for though?! I have 19" 230's on my 335d. I read somewhere on this forum that if I go for slightly wider tryes (265/30/19) than my current run flats (255/30/19) then my extended warranty will be invalid should anything happen to my suspension. Also it is suggested my insurance may be invalid as wider tryes are not the correct ones for the wheel.
Initially I was going to get the Vreds or Falkens but my understanding is that these dont come in 255/30/19. I was hoping you (or anyone) could please shed some light on the matter as I clearly don't know anything about cars....I just like driving nice fast ones!
Cheers.

First thing you have to remember is that any insurance or warranty company is going to try and get out of any potential claim. If they can find a way that they claim invalidates the insurance or warranty, then they will. However, speaking to my own insurance company (Direct Line) they had no issues with me changing the size of the tyre. I have it writing from them as well.

As far as the warranty goes, I have been using 235/265 tyres for the last three years. I know many other people who have been doing the same, and their cars have gone in for warranty work without any problems. If you were to change the tyres and they aren't the original specification, the warranty company still have to prove that the change in tyre specification caused the failure of a warrantied component. It is also against the law to invalidate completely a warranty based on the change of one particular part. Yes, the warranty to the suspension might be questioned, but there would be no effect on the warranty of the engine for instance.

You can also argue successfully that other cars within the BMW 3er product range use different size tyres, and they definitely don't alter the dampers and springs to account for the change. If you were to order a new 3er with 19" wheels as an option, the springs and dampers are still the same as if you had 17" wheels or 18" wheels.

So the bottom line? If you want to use 235/265 tyres, then go for it. I wouldn't worry about the warranty. You might want to check with your insurance company, but I can't see them having an issue with it either (at least not in my own experience).

If you can't be bothered with the hassle, or you just want peace of mind, then stick with 225/255 tyres. Do remember though that you're already changing the technical specification by going to non-runflats! Incidentally, BMW have never successfully voided a warranty due to a change of tyre choice from runflats to non-runflats.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #27
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Bargain - they don't appear to do them in my size 245/40 and 275/35.
      08-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #28
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Just had a call from my tyre dealer, 5P's have arrived this morning.

I cant get them fitted til weds though, still, something to look forward to.

Incidentally, I dropped the pressures in the Bridgestones by 2 psi front and rear to see if the ride quality improved.

Er,....no. Even worse now.

Yves
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #29
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
They are available in standard 18" and 19" sizes - 225/40/18 & 255/35/18 - 225/35/19 & 255/30/19 - 235/35/19 & 265/30/19

The 18" sizes are designated MO - Mercedes OEM fitment, but they are suitable for BMWs as well because the load rating is higher than that required for our own cars.
Great review, and great wheel/brake combo on your car.

BUT, I they're not listed in 225/40/18, only 235/40/18.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #30
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep

Tony,

What pressures are you running on the Contis for road use?

I was going to start off at stock levels, 36/39psi and go from there.

Chreers

Yves
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #31
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Good review and nice wheels!....and very clean car!!!...

You getting an aero lip????????????....

so the bling attitude has started now...LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #32
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
I rate CSC3s very highly (not tried the 5s) too having also been a big PS2 fan.

Tony - they are fantastic looking rims even if they are a bit big ;-)

Weight listed as 13.2kg front per corner, 13.9kg rear. I can't see that being accurate though - I would have thought nearer 12kg per corner.

My (sub 12kg...) wheels being refurbed today. Should be shiny for a little while.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #33
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
nice review its sais a lot, what about confort driving are they same as michelin pilot sport ? and its not rft yes? but as i know its even better than rft
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber

Last edited by **335i**; 08-02-2010 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #34
Saucepan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
First thing you have to remember is that any insurance or warranty company is going to try and get out of any potential claim. If they can find a way that they claim invalidates the insurance or warranty, then they will. However, speaking to my own insurance company (Direct Line) they had no issues with me changing the size of the tyre. I have it writing from them as well.

As far as the warranty goes, I have been using 235/265 tyres for the last three years. I know many other people who have been doing the same, and their cars have gone in for warranty work without any problems. If you were to change the tyres and they aren't the original specification, the warranty company still have to prove that the change in tyre specification caused the failure of a warrantied component. It is also against the law to invalidate completely a warranty based on the change of one particular part. Yes, the warranty to the suspension might be questioned, but there would be no effect on the warranty of the engine for instance.

You can also argue successfully that other cars within the BMW 3er product range use different size tyres, and they definitely don't alter the dampers and springs to account for the change. If you were to order a new 3er with 19" wheels as an option, the springs and dampers are still the same as if you had 17" wheels or 18" wheels.

So the bottom line? If you want to use 235/265 tyres, then go for it. I wouldn't worry about the warranty. You might want to check with your insurance company, but I can't see them having an issue with it either (at least not in my own experience).

If you can't be bothered with the hassle, or you just want peace of mind, then stick with 225/255 tyres. Do remember though that you're already changing the technical specification by going to non-runflats! Incidentally, BMW have never successfully voided a warranty due to a change of tyre choice from runflats to non-runflats.
Thanks for the reply, its a great help.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #35
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Sport Auto in Germany conducted a review of ultra-high-performance tyres - their tests were very much weighted in favour of dry-performance with wet-weather results taking a backseat. The Bridgestone actually came out on top when tested on a FWD Focus RS, with the Continentals fractionally behind. However the Continentals were quite far ahead in the wet weather tests, and if the tests were conducted on a more equally balanced basis, the Continentals would be out in front.
Actually, in that test the Bridgestones were the best of all tires in the wet, and the Continentals were a bit better in the dry than the Bridgestones.

http://www.sportauto-online.de/somme...1-1837898.html

http://www.sportauto-online.de/somme...p-1838973.html

Quote:
Auto Bild conducted a similar test, and placed the Bridgestones third in the test behind the old ContiSport Contact 3 and the Pirelli PZero. Just shows that tyre tests are very much dependent on the car used to test - the Sport Auto test was done on a front-wheel-drive Focus RS, the Auto Bild on a rear-wheel-drive Mercedes C63 AMG with almost 500bhp.
The Autozeitung test was conducted on a VW Scirocco, not a C63 AMG.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=36

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #36
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
The Autozeitung test was conducted on a VW Scirocco, not a C63 AMG.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=36
Ahhhh it was Auto Bild, not Zeitung. C63 AMG test car

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #37
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Hankook S1 Evo looks to be a decent mid range tyre. Anyone had any experience?
      08-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #38
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Good review Tony - I was certainly impressed with them on your car and have now purchased a set myself.

I've not fitted them yet...I still have over 2mm on the rears which means I may as well wait until after we've been the 'ring next week!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #39
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep

Its 5P Day today for me

Just off to get them fitted
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #40
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

So just when I thought I could resist spending any more on my car I just had a very interesting conversation with Rhoddy about these tyres and the Birds Suspension Kit.

I told him he's more than welcome to take mine for a spin anytime, if he doesn't know what mods will be most beneficial I don't know who would

MUST. RESIST.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #41
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilL View Post
So just when I thought I could resist spending any more on my car I just had a very interesting conversation with Rhoddy about these tyres and the Birds Suspension Kit.

I told him he's more than welcome to take mine for a spin anytime, if he doesn't know what mods will be most beneficial I don't know who would

MUST. RESIST.
As in Rhoddy H-B ?? Yes he can drive a bit can't he? Although the bugger got properly airborne in mine over a hump back bridge

Don't resist - it's futile. The Birds suspension is bloody brilliant on UK roads, and much better than I thought it would be out at the Nurburgring - but then again, it should be brilliant given how much time and effort was spent sorting it out
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #42
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

Quote:
As in Rhoddy H-B ?? Yes he can drive a bit can't he? Although the bugger got properly airborne in mine over a hump back bridge

Don't resist - it's futile. The Birds suspension is bloody brilliant on UK roads, and much better than I thought it would be out at the Nurburgring - but then again, it should be brilliant given how much time and effort was spent sorting it out
Yep the one and only

More than happy to let him show me what my car can really do!

Felt a bit sheepish telling him about my modest mods

If I had the spare money I'd be heading down to Iver tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #43
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post
Its 5P Day today for me

Just off to get them fitted
Well,

Got them on at last.

Night and day better than the Bridgey's obviously, fantastic grip straight out of the mould, much more compliant on the road and.......

My short test drive was conducted at 36psi front, 39psi rear. Just found out from Continental themselves that these pressures are too high for normal use!

Should be 34psi front, 35psi rear.

Sofa style wafty comfort here I come!

Yves
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:07 AM   #44
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post
Well,

Got them on at last.

Night and day better than the Bridgey's obviously, fantastic grip straight out of the mould, much more compliant on the road and.......

My short test drive was conducted at 36psi front, 39psi rear. Just found out from Continental themselves that these pressures are too high for normal use!

Should be 34psi front, 35psi rear.

Sofa style wafty comfort here I come!

Yves
And how would Continental know what works on a 335i, running softer suspension than standard?! Continental will only have data if their tyres have been homologated for OEM use by BMW. This isn't the case with either the old CS3 or the new CS5P tyres, at keast in the case of the E9x.

I think you'll find 34/35 too soft and imprecise! 34/35 is what is suggested a set of generic 19" wheels on a regular car should be pumped to so that there is safety in the pressure for the given sidewall loading whilst maintaining comfort
Appreciate 0