E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Rental Property Help

11-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
enron29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by boymonkey View Post
What's she hiding anyway? Whorehouse?
Dear God I hope not. Although, the ones running it are usually overweight and not attractive, so it would make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Yea, let us all know what drugs she is hiding in there, lol...
Got in yesterday after fighting with her. No drugs that I found, but the place was dirty, even though she said that cleaners has come. We listed everything that still needed to be done before she moves out.

Funny thing is, after fighting with her to let us show the home, she said that we would have exactly one hour starting at 11 and that the alarm would be turned off then and then she would turn it back on. We get there. Nobody is there. And she has already had the power turned off. How can you have an alarm system with no power stupid. She is just so...... can't even find the right words. Just 4 more days. Can't end fast enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #24
enron29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Another thing though. If she has moved out, and we finish the final walk through and she turns over the keys, how can we keep our home safe. Obviously we are changing the locks on the doors, but we know her kids go to school right by the house. And I would not put it past them to walk by the house and throw a rock at the window or something like that. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #25
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Maybe set up a cheap video camera somewhere on the front of the house that is recording to a DVR. That way, you can catch them in the act of vandalizing your property if it were to happen.
      11-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #26
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by enron29 View Post
Another thing though. If she has moved out, and we finish the final walk through and she turns over the keys, how can we keep our home safe. Obviously we are changing the locks on the doors, but we know her kids go to school right by the house. And I would not put it past them to walk by the house and throw a rock at the window or something like that. Any ideas?
Nothing you can do about vandalism unless you want to go to the expense of video cameras etc. but be careful and make sure disclose them if you do (had a friend who got in a pissing match with a tenant over privacy issues and cameras).
I change the locks, garage opener codes etc. everytime someone moves out.
Did your rental agreement state they needed to professionally clean carpets and windows? Ours do and state they need to supply a professional receipt (IE not hand written).
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #27
pwrdbynel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Wow your tenants are taking you for a ride. But use their deposit to pay for the re lock. As soon as their lease is expired grab a camera and take pictures of anything that needs to be replaced of repaired. Also before they move out ask them for a forwarding address so you can mail them the deposit check. Then you make a list of all the items you replace or repaired, don't over do it either, if the carpet is dirty it doesn't mean you can replace, just hire someone to steam clean it. Make an itemize list on an excel spread sheet, showing what each item cost to repair and save receipts. Then send your tenant that list along with a letter stating that following items have to be replace and repaired and subtract it from their deposit. Make sure you mail it with delivery confirmation. You only have 2 weeks to do this so get going you might lose time but not your money. If they get pissed off just tell them to take you to court. You won't have to pay a dime. They have to pay to sue you for one and they have to serve you properly. Honestly it becomes a big head ache for them. Chances are they talk the talk at first but won't walk the walk when they see the headache. My family owns 7 rentals, I've been in this situation before and always won. PM me if you need more help.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #28
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

24 hour notice for a *single* entry is significantly different than a lock box that any random realtor can access and enter a property.

Ever see that listing that says "Do NOT disturb tenants"? Some just don't like it.

You did have a preliminary and final walk-thru in your agreement? If not, there are plenty of examples around, or invest a few dollars and get one done professionally by a Cali lawyer. The time spent in small claims court (that's where any of these will be heard) is worth the investment.

I've done pictures/testimony on more than a few cases for my dad/family trust after the walk-thru. I'll tell you the only way you can stick a tenant with the price of the carpet replacement is if it is less than 1 year old. Everything else is normal wear/tear and on your dime.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #29
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

I serve 24 hr notice to enter, but served in about 2-3 days in advance. Also mail a copy to the tenant via us mail.
Send it registered if you think they're potentially a problem tenant.

Lockbox would be tough. She will need to sign an agreement to allow the lockbox. If things were lost, you may get into legal issues with problematic tenant.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:51 AM   #30
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

just curious, what was this person's credit like? what about their income? did everything match up ok, or did you take a chance?
      12-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #31
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
just curious, what was this person's credit like? what about their income? did everything match up ok, or did you take a chance?
still curious about this.
      12-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #32
enron29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
still curious about this.
Sorry. Been dealing with some other stuff. She's done and out now. Just gave her deposit and said get the f^}# out (in my head).

She had a credit check done with another place before so we looked at that. Nothing seemed out of place, but I'm sure if we looked harder we could find something. I think she's just a pathological liar that plays the victim card single mother bit all the time.
Appreciate 0