E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Power Steering Flush DIY E90

12-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #89
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOS07335i View Post
Totally disagree. I had a major juddering when I would turn the wheel left or right. Even ps fluid levels at normal 1) I had leaks from cap and under both hoses. Not sure but there was caked on ps fluid over these areas. I ordered new resavour kit with new clamps. I replaced it and flushed the old fluid out. And now I have no issues with juddering at all. So I fixed It was under 50 for everything from fcp euro.

I opened up one of the high pressure lines and moved the wheels back and fourth to flush out all the old fluid.
Well, you didn't say you were replacing the reservoir because it was leaking at the hose bibs, that's a different subject. 99% of power steering work discussed on this Forum is preventative maintenance related. Changing out the reservoir as a preventative maintenance item is overkill. I
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #90
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Well, you didn't say you were replacing the reservoir because it was leaking at the hose bibs, that's a different subject. 99% of power steering work discussed on this Forum is preventative maintenance related. Changing out the reservoir as a preventative maintenance item is overkill. I
I'm no mechanic but here is why I changed the reservoir and not just the clamps and cap gasket. The fluid was black for starters. Second even with the reservoir filled it would judder when turning left or right with out moving. I think that the filter was clogged and or preventing enough fluid to go through the system. When I flushed the PS fluid and replaced the reservoir the judder is gone. Not sure how else to explain it. But honestly nobody really believes that fluids last the life of a car do they? I honestly believe this is a marketing ploy for new cars that offer free maintenance for the duration of the warranty. It would cost the dealerships a bunch of money if they had to replace these fluids during their "free" maintenance windows. Once the car is out of warranty then it's not their concern. Back to my point either changing the fluid and or swapping out the reservoir fixed my juddering. Personally I think these are both maintenance issues. The reservoir has a built in filter and I would think they get clogged up after a while. Again not a mechanic but changing fluids is a cheap insurance to keeping these cars running a long time.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #91
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOS07335i View Post
I'm no mechanic but here is why I changed the reservoir and not just the clamps and cap gasket. The fluid was black for starters. Second even with the reservoir filled it would judder when turning left or right with out moving. I think that the filter was clogged and or preventing enough fluid to go through the system. When I flushed the PS fluid and replaced the reservoir the judder is gone. Not sure how else to explain it. But honestly nobody really believes that fluids last the life of a car do they? I honestly believe this is a marketing ploy for new cars that offer free maintenance for the duration of the warranty. It would cost the dealerships a bunch of money if they had to replace these fluids during their "free" maintenance windows. Once the car is out of warranty then it's not their concern. Back to my point either changing the fluid and or swapping out the reservoir fixed my juddering. Personally I think these are both maintenance issues. The reservoir has a built in filter and I would think they get clogged up after a while. Again not a mechanic but changing fluids is a cheap insurance to keeping these cars running a long time.
You've not said if you've owned the car since new. If not, there could have been past maintenance performed on the system that caused the condition. I'm saying, and it's been my experience, that replacing the hydraulic oil, and especially the reservoir, in the power steering system is not a recommended maintenance item from any manufacturer that I know of. I've owned my car since it was new and other than the pre-paid maintenance (which was just 3 oil changes ), I have performed all of the maintenance DIY and have changed the hydraulic fluid at 150,000 mile intervals. 12 years and 338,000 miles (for me) is a long time. Changing the fluid at say 50,000 mile intervals is not going to increase the longevity of the system IMO. Most in experienced DIY'ers risk introducing foreign material into the system, which can shorten the system's life.

Had you said you were chasing a power steering problem from the get-go, I would have had a different opinion. I'm glad you got it fixed.

Regarding the "free" maintenance, the cost of the maintenance is just built into the price of the car. If BMW thought shorter fluid replacement intervals were required, they would just add the cost to the purchase price of the car. All the free maintenance does is fund BMW with cash they get from you that they gain interest/capital gains on; the more cash they could get from you by shortening the change intervals of the various fluids in the drivetrain they would and just add it to the recommended maintenance schedule and price of the car. If BMW thought the power steering fluid needed preventative maintenance replacement like engine oil does, they'd add the interval to the recommended maintenance schedule and charge you for it up front when you purchase the car. Further, the best situation for BMW is to keep as many cars it builds in the public (i.e. private ownership) fleet so that the car gains mileage and needs service parts, so dreaming up a maintenance scheme that prematurely shortens the life of the car is poor business practice.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #92
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
Just did this on my wife's 2008 328i. Also changed the reservoir to get a clean filter. The fluid was 10 years old and black! Two things I did differently than the original write-up. I did not use the banjo bolt to drain the fluid because I thought it was very difficult to reach from underneath the car and I was worried about being able to line up the gaskets and torquing it correctly after the drain. I used the small metal fluid line going into the back of the hydrobox which is very easy to disconnect and reconnect with a 12 mm wrench. The other change was that I used "normal" hose clamps for the lines to and from the reservoir and not the oe ones supplied by fcpeuro with the reservoir replacement kit because I didn't have the right crimping tool. Taking out the reservoir after draining the fluid out the bottom eliminated any mess in the engine compartment. This is not a terribly difficult job but my wife (who acted as my assistant) was very impressed with my wrenching skills!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 08:45 PM   #93
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinAZ View Post
Just did this on my wife's 2008 328i. Also changed the reservoir to get a clean filter. The fluid was 10 years old and black! Two things I did differently than the original write-up. I did not use the banjo bolt to drain the fluid because I thought it was very difficult to reach from underneath the car and I was worried about being able to line up the gaskets and torquing it correctly after the drain. I used the small metal fluid line going into the back of the hydrobox which is very easy to disconnect and reconnect with a 12 mm wrench. The other change was that I used "normal" hose clamps for the lines to and from the reservoir and not the oe ones supplied by fcpeuro with the reservoir replacement kit because I didn't have the right crimping tool. Taking out the reservoir after draining the fluid out the bottom eliminated any mess in the engine compartment. This is not a terribly difficult job but my wife (who acted as my assistant) was very impressed with my wrenching skills!
I like your method .. that's what Vehicular DIY on youtube does too .. but what scares me is that he almost lost a washer ... and that hard line doesn't have a replacement part according to real OEM
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #94
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Auto, Sport

Going to bump this thread and give an update.

I was having some pretty noticeable whining from the front of the car, changing pitch with revs and when moving the steering wheel. Seemed to be the PS system. I figured a fluid flush wouldn't be a bad idea. I also thought maybe the PS reservoir was gummed up with debris, since the whine was significant. I got a can of the PS fluid, a new reservoir (URO), and some Liquimoly MSO2 (put in PS fluid, recommended in this thread).

The rack drain and fill seems like the quickest way to do this, but I wasnt interested in messing around with the banjo bolts on the rack. I don't think they are meant to be serviced in this way. Using a turkey baster I sucked out the fluid from the reservoir and about a cup, 8oz, comes out each time. Since the PS fluid can is 1qt, you'll do this 4 times. Started and drove the car around the block between each flush. On the last flush I drained the reservoir and replaced it, then filled with the CHF11S and 2oz of liquimoly. 5000mi later the car is running smooth, and the whine is barely audible (seems normal). Glad I did this and I would recommend to all with higher mileage. Not sure if the reservoir replacement was entirely necessary, but it was 'weeping' from the worn-out o-ring and I enjoy the peace of mind.

Last edited by leif20; 02-18-2020 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #95
max96
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

I will be doing this as soon as it warms up here.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 04:09 AM   #96
DialedIn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70 & E92

Excellent DIY, thank you!

I just did this job and I used 800 ml of new fluid.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:20 AM   #97
abkonsta
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Just did this myself; replaced the reservoir too because of the built-in filter. Ordered everything from FCPEuro.

Thanks for a nice writeup with the pictures OP!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #98
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Reviving this old thread for a couple of questions.

There is a lot of discussion about getting the right fluid, as apparently mixing CHF and ATF is bad. And also a lot of discussion about how to make the determination of which fluid your car is supposed to have - it's stamped on the reservoir cap and/or covered with a green sticker. As such, that determination is seriously flawed. The sticker may have come off. The previous owner may have ignored the sticker, or otherwise switched fluid type during the drain/refill service. The bottom line, it seems, is that it isn't so much important that you know what kind the car is *supposed* to take, but what kind is *in there now*.

So my first question is, how do you determine what kind of fluid is in there now? Color is not determinant if it's really old. Is there any way to tell?

My second question is, assuming that you cannot tell what's in there currently, is it possible to switch? In other words, if you were able to drain all the old fluid out, does it really matter what you put back in since you're technically not mixing the two?

Thanks in advance...
      12-05-2022, 10:23 AM   #99
jamesfawcett
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D E91

Just followed this original guide, easy using the bango bolts, no leaks since. My fluid was 11 years old but still green (43k) I just did it for peace of mind. Also used around 800ml.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #100
bellwether
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi E90 sedan

After flushing my power steering fluid and replacing the reservoir as a matter of routine maintenance the power steering pump developed a loud whine and there is foam in the reservoir.

I've been troubleshooting this for weeks and in the process have flushed and bled the system four times using CHF 11S, replaced all rubber hoses (1, 3, 9, 11 in diagram), and installed a new power steering pump and reservoir.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions for troubleshooting steps. My bleed procedure is to top off the fluid and turn the wheel from lock to lock with the front tires jacked up until there are no air bubbles surfacing.

This is for a 2006 325xi E90 sedan.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 03:44 PM   #101
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellwether View Post
After flushing my power steering fluid and replacing the reservoir as a matter of routine maintenance the power steering pump developed a loud whine and there is foam in the reservoir.

I've been troubleshooting this for weeks and in the process have flushed and bled the system four times using CHF 11S, replaced all rubber hoses (1, 3, 9, 11 in diagram), and installed a new power steering pump and reservoir.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions for troubleshooting steps. My bleed procedure is to top off the fluid and turn the wheel from lock to lock with the front tires jacked up until there are no air bubbles surfacing.

This is for a 2006 325xi E90 sedan.

Sounds like you did everything correctly. After performing the bleed procedure with the car off, did you perform it again with the car on/power steering pump running? Bleeding the car power steering system with the car off removed the air from the steering rack/lines, but not the pump. Theoretically, e90s have a self bleeding procedure... A bunch of full left and full right turns with the car on should fully bleed the system. Ideal lifted for easier movement. Also, steady/fast pace is recommended. Not too fast or too slow.

You replaced all hoses and power steering pump. Is the power steering pump rebuilt?

I flushed my power steering fluid recently, original power steering pump is quiet. Hopefully won't ever have to deal with the rack or pump.

Last edited by Suvorovo; 12-27-2022 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 05:25 PM   #102
bellwether
Registered
Rep

Yes, I've performed the bleed procedure with the car off and then again when running at idle. When running, the power steering pump whines and after 10 minutes of running and turning the wheels lock-to-lock there is no improvement.

When starting cold after sitting, the power steering is quiet for the first minute but progressively gets louder as I presume air is being circulated in the system.

The power steering pump was new but is non-OEM off eBay. It exhibited the same noise as the previous pump directly after install with the reservoir filling with foam.

Is it possible air is being re-circulated throughout the system or it is more likely I have a leak somewhere?

Appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 07:01 PM   #103
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Quote:
Yes, I've performed the bleed procedure with the car off and then again when running at idle. When running, the power steering pump whines and after 10 minutes of running and turning the wheels lock-to-lock there is no improvement.

When starting cold after sitting, the power steering is quiet for the first minute but progressively gets louder as I presume air is being circulated in the system.

The power steering pump was new but is non-OEM off eBay. It exhibited the same noise as the previous pump directly after install with the reservoir filling with foam.

Is it possible air is being re-circulated throughout the system or it is more likely I have a leak somewhere?

Appreciate the help.
Non-oem from Ebay. Is it a decent manufacturer or some unbranded china part? You might have your answer... The best quality one that's not Genuine BMW is LuK. Half the price of genuine BMW. I believe you did everything correctly unless you mixed up a power steering hose which I don't think is even possible.

Are you bleeding the power steering with the tires in the air? Perhaps you're turning the steering wheel too slow during the bleed process. Hard to tell now with an unknown quality PS part.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 05:32 PM   #104
bellwether
Registered
Rep

I believe I've solved my issue. I ended up bleeding the system yet again but this time I disconnected the reservoir inlet hose and dumped it into a tub. I then ran the car (turning the wheel lock to lock) while pouring fresh fluid into the reservoir to fill as it was depleted.

After multiple cycles of this the power steering whine is gone.

My hypothesis is that there was enough air in the system that the fluid became aerated and was being recirculated without bleeding off. Bleeding the system without the vehicle running only ever resulted in a few bubbles floating to the top but doesn't seem to have been clearing all the air pockets.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 09:00 PM   #105
melvin_213
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Anybody run into the issue doing this flush then resulting in a constant whine, then fluid gushing out the reservoir?

I got a 2007 BMW 328i e92 and it had a horrible whining noise coming from the oem ps pump so I decided the car needed a new one, went ahead and ordered a CARDONE ps pump and a new URO reservoir.

Installed everything, and then flushed this system using this exact procedure. drain bolt, car off fill reservoir,

At first the whine was gone after everything was installed, car was on, steering from lock to lock plenty of times, wheels off the ground, refilling new reservoir as the fluid went into the system.

I figured everything went well with install until I lowered the car from the jack. Instantly, I had the whine come back, when I went to inspect the reservoir removed the cap off and had the car on, the car had ps fluid gushing out the reservoir.

Where did I go wrong? Where should I go from here?

Another thing, I had the whine for several days after install then it went away, car drove just fine, no issues, but once again the whine has been back and gushing out ps fluid from the reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 07:45 AM   #106
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Auto, Sport

Quote:
I believe I've solved my issue. I ended up bleeding the system yet again but this time I disconnected the reservoir inlet hose and dumped it into a tub. I then ran the car (turning the wheel lock to lock) while pouring fresh fluid into the reservoir to fill as it was depleted.

After multiple cycles of this the power steering whine is gone.

My hypothesis is that there was enough air in the system that the fluid became aerated and was being recirculated without bleeding off. Bleeding the system without the vehicle running only ever resulted in a few bubbles floating to the top but doesn't seem to have been clearing all the air pockets.

I had some notchy steering and thought the PS reservoir might have been clogged. Turns out I was just low on fluid, but I bought a new reservoir anyways, and installed on the car. The one I got was the URO one, I've used URO parts in the past and not had issues. However this time there was obvious excess plastic inside the reservoir and when I looked at the inlet I could see an obstruction as well. Trash quality. Put my old reservoir back on and everything is the way it should be, no foam in the reservoir.

DO NOT buy the URO reservoir if you plan to do this. Go with something else.
      11-01-2023, 05:32 PM   #107
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 323i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leif20 View Post
I had some notchy steering and thought the PS reservoir might have been clogged. Turns out I was just low on fluid, but I bought a new reservoir anyways, and installed on the car. The one I got was the URO one, I've used URO parts in the past and not had issues. However this time there was obvious excess plastic inside the reservoir and when I looked at the inlet I could see an obstruction as well. Trash quality. Put my old reservoir back on and everything is the way it should be, no foam in the reservoir.

DO NOT buy the URO reservoir if you plan to do this. Go with something else.
lief20, maybe post this same comment in the other DIY: Power Steering Fluid Flush and Reservoir / Filter Change on N54, https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1734068, would be helpful there as well.

Last edited by shannon1; 11-01-2023 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 07:41 AM   #108
Papush
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin_213 View Post
Anybody run into the issue doing this flush then resulting in a constant whine, then fluid gushing out the reservoir?

I got a 2007 BMW 328i e92 and it had a horrible whining noise coming from the oem ps pump so I decided the car needed a new one, went ahead and ordered a CARDONE ps pump and a new URO reservoir.

Installed everything, and then flushed this system using this exact procedure. drain bolt, car off fill reservoir,

At first the whine was gone after everything was installed, car was on, steering from lock to lock plenty of times, wheels off the ground, refilling new reservoir as the fluid went into the system.

I figured everything went well with install until I lowered the car from the jack. Instantly, I had the whine come back, when I went to inspect the reservoir removed the cap off and had the car on, the car had ps fluid gushing out the reservoir.

Where did I go wrong? Where should I go from here?

Another thing, I had the whine for several days after install then it went away, car drove just fine, no issues, but once again the whine has been back and gushing out ps fluid from the reservoir.
So were you able to figure this out? It sounds like the fluid might have been aerated and the gushing was the self-bleed gone awry because of too much air. Let us know in case someone else runs into this.
Appreciate 0