E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New member here saying hi and...Please Read

02-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #67
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Wow, sales must be really slow at team vishnu is they feel the need to come into this thread and tell someone that already bought a Cobb from one of the biggest Proceed Fanbois no less what a bad decision he made. But I'm not suprised. I will say this, Ive never seen Cobb, BMS, GIAC, OE ever come into a thread telling the OP that "hey, you should have done more research and bought my tune instead."
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #68
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Meh, sales are sales. Do what you have to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #69
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
Wow, sales must be really slow at team vishnu is they feel the need to come into this thread and tell someone that already bought a Cobb from one of the biggest Proceed Fanbois no less what a bad decision he made. But I'm not suprised. I will say this, Ive never seen Cobb, BMS, GIAC, OE ever come into a thread telling the OP that "hey, you should have done more research and bought my tune instead."
You have quite the vivid imagination and lack of respect.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #70
Ghost Buster
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3NGOe90 View Post
Hey forget about meth, u can get same amount of power from cobb stg2 i wouldn't suggest you meth, cobb stg1 dci+ downpipes still way better than stock, im telling u because i know a lot of ny boys use this power on the streets or maybe small ny highways not at track, and when u get stoped at 30mph zone doing 117 and hoping cop didn't caught you on radar + shaking and saying to your self why the fuck did i do it and thinking about ur license, i got 2 reckless driving in 1 year with 1st one i got lucky just paid to lawyer 3 days of community service no points, next one is on apr 18. I hope i get lucky with this one too, if u drive in the city alott no point of getting alll that shit, lesson learned AMEN
Oh man that sucks...gotta be careful out there!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #71
Ghost Buster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
If I recall correctly the customer was concerned with a safe and easy tune and nobody can second guess Cobb is a great choice for that. He did not want to go under the engine to install any tune. At the time of conversation the customer did not have any intention of running methanol so the next best thing for safety is intercooler. I dont recommend methanol to anyone that doesnt understand it and is especially in fear of installing a piggyback system as methanol requires a lot more attention to detail and understanding of hardware and complications that can arise overtime. Reducing IAT is the next best thing for a safe and healthy engine and that is why the intercooler was the next suggestion for him.

I do know he will be 100% satisfied with my opinions and suggestions so I'm not too worried. Just for the record.

Scott, as you can see these threads get you nowhere. I suggest talking with me for your next purchasing ideas as a lot of people in here have their own biases and criticisms towards hardware, where I will simply let you know, unbiased, what will work for you best.

There are a million threads like these all with regurgitated opinions.

No offense to anyone here.
Jeff I left you a VM which includes talk of a fmic ...get back to me tomorrow at your earliest convenience.

Thanks again for your expertise and great understanding!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #72
Ghost Buster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Lots of inaccurate information here lol
ATTN** Everyone stop hating on shiv...he's only trying to educate!

Shiv - Thanks for your thoughts, they are helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #73
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Buster View Post
Jeff I left you a VM which includes talk of a fmic ...get back to me tomorrow at your earliest convenience.

Thanks again for your expertise and great understanding!
Why not just ask me here? LOL

See PM
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #74
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:

Shiv - Thanks for your thoughts, they are helpful.
No sweat. And I'm glad Jeff is helping you. And dont worry about me. I have my left pinky on the cap lock button at any time, ready to throw down with the couch commandos.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #75
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
This is why I always recommend Jeff. He's a great guy and really easy to deal with.

FWIW, I can't choose which one I prefer between the new Procede aggressive maps (non-meth) and the Cobb Stage 2+ maps. They're both great... But at this time, it is definitely easier to run meth with the Procede.

People on this forum are just allergic to other people running different mods than themselves. Imagine how boring it would be around here if we all ran the same exact mods. What would we argue about?
I don't understand why people believe meth isn't usable with Cobb mapping. My basic meth kit with an on/off switch works great with all the custom stuff I've been testing from Cobb. Failsafes are overrated, everyone can attest, they cause more problems than they solve. But for those who "must" have a failsafe on a flash tune, plenty of options out there, one of which I have if I ever get around to installing it. I just don't see a need.
      02-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #76
SIKH335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
I would do DP's before FMIC if and only if you have Meth. If you don't plan on Meth then FMIC first and then DP's
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #77
amclint
boom
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
LOL, and sell stuff
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #78
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
I don't understand why people believe meth isn't usable with Cobb mapping. My basic meth kit with an on/off switch works great with all the custom stuff I've been testing from Cobb. Failsafes are overrated, everyone can attest, they cause more problems than they solve. But for those who "must" have a failsafe on a flash tune, plenty of options out there, one of which I have if I ever get around to installing it. I just don't see a need.
If you are just adding meth to your existing flash tune with no mapping changes then I agree, failsafes aren't necessary. But neither is the meth kit for that matter. Sure, you'll get some passive power gains from IAT reduction and octane bump. But the gains will be low unless you actually tuned for the meth by advance timing/raised boost. And running an aggressive map tuned for methanol, without a failsafe, is unnecessarily risky. And the only failsafes that are more trouble than they are worth are the ones that are troublesome. Use a high quality failsafe and you will never think about it again.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #79
Ghost Buster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal335xi View Post
LOL, and sell stuff
Course...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #80
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
If you are just adding meth to your existing flash tune with no mapping changes then I agree, failsafes aren't necessary. But neither is the meth kit for that matter. Sure, you'll get some passive power gains from IAT reduction and octane bump. But the gains will be low unless you actually tuned for the meth by advance timing/raised boost. And running an aggressive map tuned for methanol, without a failsafe, is unnecessarily risky. And the only failsafes that are more trouble than they are worth are the ones that are troublesome. Use a high quality failsafe and you will never think about it again.

shiv
Welp. I'm not running public maps; running tester maps that require 80/20 or better on 800ml/min and it is very easy to monitor trims and timing on the hot cylinder which appears to be cylinder 2 or 5. A lot of fear for no reason IMO provided you know what you're doing. FYI, hardware failsafes exist for flash tunes, one of which I have and do not see a need running with what the AP offers. Cheap $60 piece at that.

If you want the extra boost/timing provided from stage 2 + FMIC Aggressive on pump gas, meth is a viable solution. Then again, so is E85.
      02-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #81
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:

shiv
But isn't that the point of Meth? Better IAT's and a little extra power? Sounds great for us in cali stuck with horrible 91. I'll run my standard flash with meth for better IAT's, boost in octane and a little exta power.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #82
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
But isn't that the point of Meth? Better IAT's and a little extra power? Sounds great for us in cali stuck with horrible 91. I'll run my standard flash with meth for better IAT's, boost in octane and a little exta power.
To some, a little extra power is fine. To others, a lot more extra power is preferable.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #83
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
To some, a little extra power is fine. To others, a lot more extra power is preferable.

Shiv
I like my engine a little too much.
Safe or not, your still pushing the engine really hard.

Do i want to get punched in the face by a glove or by a bare fist.. Either way your still getting punched in the face..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #84
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
I like my engine a little too much.
Safe or not, your still pushing the engine really hard.

Do i want to get punched in the face by a glove or by a bare fist.. Either way your still getting punched in the face..
That's a pretty poor analogy. If that were the case, you should leave your ignition in accessory mode and get your car towed by horses or husky dogs.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #85
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Welp. I'm not running public maps; running tester maps that require 80/20 or better on 800ml/min and it is very easy to monitor trims and timing on the hot cylinder which appears to be cylinder 2 or 5. A lot of fear for no reason IMO provided you know what you're doing. FYI, hardware failsafes exist for flash tunes, one of which I have and do not see a need running with what the AP offers. Cheap $60 piece at that.

If you want the extra boost/timing provided from stage 2 + FMIC Aggressive on pump gas, meth is a viable solution. Then again, so is E85.
You wrote:

Quote:
The alpha race map me and laloosh have will get you 2-3 mph over stage 2 + FMIC provided you have the necessary octane. Not sure if Cobb will send it out though. It has drivability issues but is fine for WOT pulls.
Have you determined the cause of the "drivability issues"?

Shiv
Appreciate 0