E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Garage opener question

08-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
sykno
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage opener question

so i recently bought an e90 335i and joined this forum after hearing about it from my friends. I wanted to know if there is something wrong with my garage remote option thingy or if im just setting it up wrong.. (because its not working.. followed the steps on the manual).. does anyone know how to set it up?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Depends. Is it a rolling code garage? Look at your garage manual, and if it is, then it should have directions on how to program it. I have a rolling code, and in the motor is a learn button. I press the button, run to the car, then press the garage button I want and the garage lights start flashing. (for my type of garage, dunno about yours)

Oh yeah, and when it flashes I let go, then the garage works.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
StoneCold
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328i Coupe, Pro 02/08

I tried and could not open mine garage but mine brother's garage its open just fine, still do not know what the heck? will try again sometime.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
nospleeny
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 528xi

I had this problem too.. but do the steps in the manual exactly as it tells you. And THEN go to your garage door opener in the back and press the LEARN button. There'll probably be a little light flashing beside the button. After you press it.. PRESTO!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
StoneCold
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328i Coupe, Pro 02/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospleeny View Post
I had this problem too.. but do the steps in the manual exactly as it tells you. And THEN go to your garage door opener in the back and press the LEARN button. There'll probably be a little light flashing beside the button. After you press it.. PRESTO!

PRESS THE LEARN BUTTON Confirmed and it works now. Thank you bro.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

it's in the manual all along. Not some new information that just popped up recently. It's really useful to read the owner's manual that came with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCold View Post

PRESS THE LEARN BUTTON Confirmed and it works now. Thank you bro.
      08-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
sykno
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

thanks guys it works DD
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
shocka1212
Philanthropist
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

it didnt work for me. i just moved and the new house has a "liftmaster" garage door opener.
let me get this right. you pressed the learn button on the garage door opener, then ran to the car and held down just the desired button? or did you press it with the garage door opener button simultaneously?

The 2011 3-Series coupe offering the infamous "Harmon Kardon Badging"
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #9
Mech_Man
I'm feeling much better now, Dave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (MontegoBlue/Bk)

Here's my version of what was in the manual, and took me about 4 times to understand.
(From the 328i/335i manual "Practical interior accessories - Integrated universal remote control", page 83).

Opener: The Garage Door Opener & Receiver. The machine on the ceiling of the garage that opens the garage door and it's radio receiver that's built in.

Hand-Held Transmitter: The Original Hand-Held remote radio transmitter that signals the Opener to operate. (This is the gadget you are trying to not have to carry around).

Integrated universal remote control: This is the transmitter built into (integrated into) the BMW's rear view mirror, with 3 buttons and an LED flasher.

1) To clear ALL previous programming for the Integrated Transmitter, hold in BOTH outer memory buttons (the left most and the right most on the bottom of the rear view mirror, at the same time), for about 20 seconds, until the LED on the far left blinks twice. This erases the programming for all three buttons. (You can't clear them individually).

2) Determine if your Opener and Hand-Held Transmitter system was built to be compatible with the HomeLink standard (look for the logo, a stylized house with an arrow pointing up into the bottom.

If that logos not visible, try going to the website of your opener, and look around.
If you can't find that, surf the HomeLink site: http://www.homelink.com

3) Determine if your Opener and Hand-Held Transmitter system using an alternating (rolling) code. The more modern Opener systems may use a rolling code for security, (greatly reducing the chance that your neighbors remote will open your door). The remote transmitter for this type of system must change codes every time it's used according to a pre-set pattern, Again, see your original equipment information.

4) To clear ALL previous programming for the Integrated Transmitter, hold in BOTH outer memory buttons (the left most and the right most on the bottom of the rear view mirror, at the same time), for about 20 seconds, until the LED on the far left blinks twice. This erases the programming for all three buttons. (You can't clear them individually).

5) Simultaneously press the button on your Hand-Held Transmitter and the one of the three Integrated Transmitter buttons you have chosen.
a) The LED will flash slowly at first, and when the Integrated Transmitter has learned the transmit code from the Hand Held Transmitter, the LED will flash rapidly. Release both buttons.
b) If the LED doesn't change from slow to fast blinking within about 15 seconds, then the Integrated Transmitter isn't 'hearing' the hand-held. Try altering the distance and orientation of the hand-held and try again. Try holding the Hand-Held forward (towards the front of the car) of the Integrated Transmitter.

6) For those opening systems that use an alternating-code, an extra step is needed. If you followed the above directions, got the rapid LED flash, but it doesn't open your door, you probably need to do this step next.
a) Locate the "LEARN" button on your Opener. This is usually a colored button on the actual door opener machine, usually next to the controls that let you fine-tune where the door actually stops, open and closed. You may need a step ladder or stool to find this button.
b) Park the car within range of your garage door, (max 2-3 car lengths). You do not want to park the car so it blocks you from being able to reach the LEARN button, and you don't want to park the car where it would be hit by the garage door closing.
c) Press the LEARN button, and before 15 seconds passes, get into your car (or have a helper) push the chosen Integrated Transmitter button. (I don't' think the LED blinks or anything).
d) The garage should start to close. The universal is now programmed.
e) Test the Integrated Transmitter button by holding it down for about 1 second, and the door should start to open or close.

5) Repeat steps 2 through 5, (through 6 if you have a rolling-code system) for the other two Integrated Transmitter buttons to program them for up to two other remote systems.

(I put this together as it took me a while to figure it out the first time, and I expect that I'll have to move again - and probably enough in the future that I'd otherwise forget the steps above, so I wrote it down).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 01:50 AM   #10
E92 maniac
LURKER
United_States
Rep
Drives: CAUTIOUSLY

WOW, thanks for the write up! I am going to give it a try one more time this weekend as I've tried numerous times before, and I couldn't get it to work.
      10-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #11
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
I'm kind of pissed off. I'm 99% sure that my apartment complex's gates are rolling code and it would be way to complicated to go down to the front office and explain to those idiots why I need them to open up the gate box so I can press the learn button. So I just say f-it and use the little remote.
      04-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
airborn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW335I

I'm having a problem with the garage unit learning my bmw signal.

The homelink unit seems to recognize the garage door opener signal fine.

When I go and press the learn button on the garage door, the led on the garage unit slowly blinks like normal.

I go to the car to send the signal and I press/release several times about one second on and 1 second off.

The garage door led stops blinking.

However, the door doesn't open/close -- But, the led on the garage does blink rapidly when I press the homelink button.

What gives!! Please help!! I've read many threads from searching and I don't know why it wont work.

Also on a site note, I reset the garage door unit, reprogrammed the original remote control fine -- so the garage learning a unit shouldn't be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
I can't remember exactly how I did it, but my rolling code garage door does work with the Homelink. I think I had to park the car right underneath the opener motor and stand up through the sun roof to press everything in sequence. One thing to remember, though, is that after everything is set up correctly, you still have to press and hold the homelink button to open your garage. A quick press alone often won't work.

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
airborn
Enlisted Member
Rep

I forgot to mention that I've tried that too. I know for a fact that the garage door opener requires a learn click and a confirm click from the unit that is being "learned".

I've tried doing the learn step slow and fast.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #15
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Goto www.homelink.com instructions and opener info is there and it works like a charm, It's easier to understand than the manual with instructions per your opener etc..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #16
airborn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Goto www.homelink.com instructions and opener info is there and it works like a charm, It's easier to understand than the manual with instructions per your opener etc..
Yup -- tried that too. Instructions seem to be like the ones people post here.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #17
airborn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fixed! The problem was fixed by having the homelink learn the small button on the remote -- not the big one.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I have NEVER seen that in any instructions!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
T3X4S
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 MW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborn View Post
Fixed! The problem was fixed by having the homelink learn the small button on the remote -- not the big one.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I have NEVER seen that in any instructions!
Agreed. Mech_Man's instructions are excellent, and airborn's additional notes were helpful as well since it is needed on certain units requiring use of the garage remote transmitter. I just want to add that for me I did the following:
1. Pressed Learn button on main opener
2. Then held the remote button and integrated transmitter on the car together until it learned the code then...
3. Re-pressed the Learn button on the main opener to commit. Everything worked after that.

Let me just add that when I pressed the Learn button on the main opener, the light on the main unit blinked steadily. Once the code was transmitted, the light was solid just prior to my pressing the Learn button the second time to commit. Obviously, this may vary on different brands.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #19
Drakos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240i

Like the manual states, it definately is easier with 2 people. You will get pretty pissed off having to run back and forth trying to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #20
cwhitpan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI LCI - Tasman Green

I found it easiest to learn the remote on the car, then the opener to the car. Something the book wasn't all to clear on but my SA clued me in.

The other thing that drove me nuts was to place the opener FORWARD of the rearview mirror, almost to the glass. Just clicking in front, from the seat did not allow it to learn.

After that was done, it was just press the purple button on the opener itself and then homelink. Presto.

The distance on the homelink is much less than a normal opener IMO. which can be annoying at times.
      05-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #21
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

nice to see you got it working
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #22
wt1110
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 335I

I never figured out how to set my garage opener either. I just stuck with the standard remote... no biggy imo.

Giggity, Giggity Goo!
Appreciate 0