Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Noob ???: Why aren't RFT bubbles covered under warranty?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
PCR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335i

Noob ???: Why aren't RFT bubbles covered under warranty?

Sorry for the noob question. My car (E90) just came in, and I'm heading down to pick it up on Wed (so I don't have it yet).

I tried search and couldn't come up w/ a decent answer, but...

It seems to me that sidewall bubbles on the RTF are caused by defects because it's the separation of layers in the tire.

Am I wrong to assume that this is a manufacturer (or even a design) defect and should be covered under either the tire warranty or the BMW warranty?

Thx

Last edited by PCR; 02-22-2009 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

If you haven't picked up the car yet, why are you worrying? Tell the dealer to replace it.
It's been discussed to length. Either they will or they won't. If you can get the mfg. to see evidence that the tire is to blame, they'll replace it.
BMW warranty does cover defects in workmanship but they just bill it to the mfg. They won't cover you running over a pothole at speed.
The tire sidewall is stiffer than conventional tires and will bruise easily.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCR View Post
(Opps.... I meant to type RFT, not RTF, but I can't change the title, sorry brain fart)
You can change the title. Just edit your post and go to advanced.
      02-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
If you haven't picked up the car yet, why are you worrying? Tell the dealer to replace it.
It's been discussed to length. Either they will or they won't. If you can get the mfg. to see evidence that the tire is to blame, they'll replace it.
BMW warranty does cover defects in workmanship but they just bill it to the mfg. They won't cover you running over a pothole at speed.
/Thread
      02-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
PCR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
You can change the title. Just edit your post and go to advanced.
Thanks, Done.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
PCR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. The car currently doesn't have a bubble. After reading all the threads about bubbled sidewalls, it seems that the RFT's are prone to getting them.

Thanks for answering my question though: if I hit a pot hole than I'm on my own; if it looks like a defect, then it's covered.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
MorpheIS
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT, Sport, Prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCR View Post
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. The car currently doesn't have a bubble. After reading all the threads about bubbled sidewalls, it seems that the RFT's are prone to getting them.

Thanks for answering my question though: if I hit a pot hole than I'm on my own; if it looks like a defect, then it's covered.

Thanks.
If you plan on sticking with the RFT's, I'd highly recommend tire/wheel insurance. Mine ran about $500 for 3 years. It has already paid for itself 3 times over.