E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > MCITP certification.

11-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

MCITP certification.

Has anyone achieved the above or is working towards one?

I'm thinking of doing a self study in one - but not sure where to start!

I'm getting a bit tired of being self employed now and am beginning to long for a 'Normal' life again. Normal hours. Paid holidays. Guaranteed income etc etc.

I know it's hard out there for allot of people and the job market is somewhat saturated - but IT will always have jobs for good candidates - and without sounding big headed, I would put myself in that bracket. I've previously worked upto a server support level for some big companies: Car manufacterers, banks and oil companies. I have the experience, but no 'professional' qualifications. So, I've been toying with the idea of doing a MCITP.

Back in my days, about 7 years ago, we used to just have a MCSE. Now, there's loads. What would you say is the best for someone to go into a server/application support environment? There's a bit of catching up to do, going by some of the jobs I've had sent to me (still on some mailing lists) - stuff like Sharepoint, VMWare, server 2008 (only used 2003), SQL stuff -which I never had to deal with.

Thanks in advance for any help, tips and suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
confused.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
Has anyone achieved the above or is working towards one?

I'm thinking of doing a self study in one - but not sure where to start!

I'm getting a bit tired of being self employed now and am beginning to long for a 'Normal' life again. Normal hours. Paid holidays. Guaranteed income etc etc.

I know it's hard out there for allot of people and the job market is somewhat saturated - but IT will always have jobs for good candidates - and without sounding big headed, I would put myself in that bracket. I've previously worked upto a server support level for some big companies: Car manufacterers, banks and oil companies. I have the experience, but no 'professional' qualifications. So, I've been toying with the idea of doing a MCITP.

Back in my days, about 7 years ago, we used to just have a MCSE. Now, there's loads. What would you say is the best for someone to go into a server/application support environment? There's a bit of catching up to do, going by some of the jobs I've had sent to me (still on some mailing lists) - stuff like Sharepoint, VMWare, server 2008 (only used 2003), SQL stuff -which I never had to deal with.

Thanks in advance for any help, tips and suggestions.
I too started off in this field and like yourself only knew of the MSCE/A. I got a few books but never followed it up in the end and ended up in a different field. The thing i found with the Microsoft certs was, you need to have Citrix with them and then Virtualisation also, sharepoint is good too.

Things may have moved on but i just found one type was not enough on its own to be pulling in good money in a contract.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

The list is endless, really. I'm sure a candidate will rarely have to deal with half of the stuff companies require as job prerequisite. I think anyone with half a brain and some instructions would be able to re-build a server or install a network - the real work is done at design level. That's where the money is at.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

So someone with half a brain can install a network spanning 8 countries and ensure the QoS is correct? That's a relief.

(it's bollocks, but it's a relief)
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
So someone with half a brain can install a network spanning 8 countries and ensure the QoS is correct? That's a relief.

(it's bollocks, but it's a relief)
There's always one.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Hi,

I have been in IT for 17 years and never bothered with my certification until I joined Microsoft. You have to remember that it's all very well to have the certification but with out experience it can mean nothing. If 2 people came in for an interview and one had 5 years exp and one had exams and no exp then normally you would go with the exp, but it would depend on how they interview

More than happy to point you in the right direction, the exams for server 2012 and Windows 8 will be the best ones to go for.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Just my opinion but if you are working for yourself and making a living in the current economic climate then I think you are mental to want to be a wage slave again. You're living the dream, master of your own destiny and all that crap.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #8
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
There's always one.
Yeah but come on - your post was a massive generalisation. "Install a network" can mean anything from linking a few PCs together on a peer-to-peer network to something a whole lot more. It's facile to say anyone with half a brain can install a network unless you mean simply unwrapping something and plugging it in.

BTT - experience is key. When I recruit qualifications are nice but I'll put experience way ahead everytime. I wouldn't let somebody manage my virtualisation infrastructure that had just read about it, even if they passed the MS exam on virtualisation.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #9
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Yeah but come on - your post was a massive generalisation. "Install a network" can mean anything from linking a few PCs together on a peer-to-peer network to something a whole lot more. It's facile to say anyone with half a brain can install a network unless you mean simply unwrapping something and plugging it in.

BTT - experience is key. When I recruit qualifications are nice but I'll put experience way ahead everytime. I wouldn't let somebody manage my virtualisation infrastructure that had just read about it, even if they passed the MS exam on virtualisation.
Couldn't agree more on both points, there are too many people in IT that have small amounts of knowledge and are setting up big infrastructures which is scary.

Experience is key, exams will compliment experience in IT but not guarantee you a job. Don't get me wrong to get started in IT doing everything you can will help just don't rely on the exams.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Have to agree with some of the comments above, I've been in the industry a long time too and while I did a few Microsoft exams at the start of my career, I no longer see them as that relevant. If you are starting off in IT then they can be another "tick in the box" to make your CV more attractive but if you've got 5+ years experience they aren't really worth the effort\expense IMO as your experience will count for far more than a bit of paper. I don't hold any current certifications at the moment but don't have any problems getting work.

I have also met some alleged MCITP's who would have difficulty even turning a PC on so they aren't a guarantee of quality by any means.

What I would also agree on is that you require a much wider skill set these days so along with Server skills you'll need at least one or two additional ones like Virtualisation, storage, backups, networking etc as server admins are ten-a-penny now and companies usually expect you to be a bit more flexible\offer a wider variety of skills to be able to carry out different roles.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

When I started I was working with punched-tape and 32Mb disk drives the size of a fridge, by eck.

I did get an MCSE back when NT4 became Windows 2000 Server but I don't think they're [qualifications] that relevant.

As some things are moving to the cloud or virtualisation and internal datacentres / infrastructures are shrinking you need to have many strings to your bow as Guvernator says.

If you're asking is MCITP worth doing if you have to fund it yourself I'd say not. IF you want to make contract money Cisco is always handy - everyone needs networks whether you're in the cloud or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

Virtualisation, large scale Storage, Networking and Automation is where the opportunities are these days. I work as an IT efficiency expert for an international bank and all the work I am doing is based around moving infrastructure to virtual platforms and employing moblie solutions. The days of desktop/server support is gone, you could teach most people to build a server these days as there is very little skill or knowledge required and Microsoft certifcations mean very little IMO although I do have a number of them myself but the courses an exams where all paid for by the company I work for so no reason to not do them.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris100 View Post
The days of desktop/server support is gone, you could teach most people to build a server these days as there is very little skill or knowledge required
I agree with your other points but dispute this. Everyone thinks (since Windows NT 3.5 really) that because it's windows and looks like my desktop, I know how to use and build it etc. I guess anyone can build a server as such but to to configure DNS (properly with zones, reverse lookup etc), DHCP (with custom scope options) Active Directory (with connections, routing groups, multiple forests) proper subnetting, IPv6, security and a whole host of other things in a proper AD domain takes knowledge.

This is the point that was mentioned earlier - lots of people do it because they think they can and I've been to troubleshoot SME networks where the configuration is simply horrendous. But at the end of the day, the enthusiastic amateur did "build a server".

I prefer the days of AIX, HPUX and SCO where you had to know what you were doing to even get started and an enthusiastic amateur would have no fcuking chance.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

i have an MCITP in MS SQL 2008 R2 Development so ask away!

The exams you need to do are rather confusing i will certainly agree.. i spent about 2 hours looking on Thursday at what upgrade exams i need to do for SQL Server 2012

I'm also doing my Web Development i.e. jQuery, ASP.NET, C# etc ones at the same time, and they have changed the name of those now, but the main reason is that they are the same tech for Windows 8 Application dev, so i can forsee these becoming very relevant

These are on top of 7 years experience, strings to the bow and all that
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Thank you for all your input peeps.

I think the main issue for me would probably be the lack of knowledge in up to date technologies in a large scale environment - this is where my downfall would be; if anything, I guess doing a professional certificate would not only help me enhance my own chances of doing something I enjoy but also give me the confidence to marry my old experiences with new teachings and go into a job knowing what I'm doing.

Of course, this is all theoretical at the moment. I have 3 businesses to run and a payroll of 18 lasses to look after - first and foremost. I guess studying something I also enjoy will break the daily rigours and stresses of my current lifestyle - and also help me plan my future a little better.

Appreciate 0