E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Why cant people drive in the snow

01-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #67
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
maybe because it doesn't make sense to blow $6K for a car that is probably going to need servicing and will break down more than your primary car, du to age.
and for a car that you will use less than 7 days a year.
as long as the roads are treated, rwd is perfectly safe
I got an extended warranty for 3 yrs/36k miles through honda of tysons for $1200. The only downside is I have to pay up front and get reimbursed later but it covers everything on the car. I read through the fine print before signing for it.

And (knock on wood) Integras are pretty reliable. Mine had 58k miles on it, although odometer could be tampered with easily on this car. I know how to disconnect it but hope previous owners didn't..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #68
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
i hate to break it to you, but I used to live in Sweden, a lot more snow than we get here. and Rear wheel drive cars were very common there (all saabs and volvos at the time were RWD). SUVs are not as common in the rest of the world as they are.
and with th right tires, AND clearing the roads, rear wheel drive is pretty safe.
i have been living here since mid 2004, and i have never seen such a total mess with traffic.
you know why?
cuz nothing was done beforehand, or even during the storm.
usually you see the salt trucks before a major storm, and ploughs during the storm.
i don't know if it was lack of budget (most states have used up their snow removal budgets already), lack of care or what. but the roads were 100% untreated.
I saw an Audi Q7, BMW X5, BMW 535xi, Ford Escape, a few Audi quattros all stuck. so this had nothing to do with front/rear/4wd.
if you live in reston, i am sure you know the intersection of Wiehle and Sunset hills, that was a total mess.

i left 2 hours early, at 3
but by then it was too late
with a storm of that magnitute, we should have stayed home.
but because the government cares more about its wallet, than the safety of its citizens, they only gave us 2 hours early, which obviously, was not enough

Yep I know exactly where your talking about. The traffic on 267E was due to a tractor trailer....I've never seen an 18 wheeler attempt to go up at a slight incline, only to go backwards. The tractor trailer was at the route 7 exit and there was no traffic in front of him. There were police cars behind ensuring nobody passes as he was attempting to get going but for the 45min I sat going on 267W, he hadn't budged...There is a slight grade as you approach the route 7 exit coming East but not something you'd notice normally. However, next time your coming up on the exit heading East take a look at the road and you'll see the slight incline. I still can't believe an 18 wheeler couldn't move on the road...

I actually exit on Reston Pkwy right after wiehle ave. I've lived here since 1989 and I've never seen anything like this either...it's weird and crazy. I wasn't pissed I was more shocked/amazed....which is surprising cause I have road rage
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #69
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
woot!

I'll pull out the Honda Pilot and we could race through the icy patches!
You might end up picking me up in the Pilot and me for driving it.

No joke, I just went to move the car out of the garage....I had plowed the driveway etc and I just threw some new Michelin Pilot sport A/S (all season) Plus tires on in January on it. As soon as it hit .001" of snow it started spinning...I was shocked. I understand RWD as I've driven RWD cars in teh snow previously but this snow was something else.... The C wouldn't MOVE at all!! I was so glad I hadn't driven it b/c I know I'd be stranded on the side of the road. Paranoid, no sleep, wondering if a plow truck mistook my white C for a pile of snow or something....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #70
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Yeah, on stock runflats here. I was leaving to go to a friend's house friday night and got stuck pulling out of the driveway... There was a bit of snow on the transition from the driveway to the road and I was dumb and stopped right there.

I still can't believe BMW didn't put a LSD in these damn cars. Never had a problem in light snow when I drove a mustang, even with way more power and summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #71
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Yeah, on stock runflats here. I was leaving to go to a friend's house friday night and got stuck pulling out of the driveway... There was a bit of snow on the transition from the driveway to the road and I was dumb and stopped right there.

I still can't believe BMW didn't put a LSD in these damn cars. Never had a problem in light snow when I drove a mustang, even with way more power and summer tires.
LOL. It doesn't help that much. Those rfts are garbage on the 335i+snow. I almost died a couple of times during snowmageaddon. at 22 mph lol. That experience alone was why I got the xi.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #72
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
LOL. It doesn't help that much. Those rfts are garbage on the 335i+snow. I almost died a couple of times during snowmageaddon. at 22 mph lol. That experience alone was why I got the xi.
I still think about 3-4 days a year, most of us 335i owners wish we had x drive haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #73
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

This is one of the reasons I bought a truck. Even though it is only 2wd, being a 5spd manual and I shod it with some nice Wintersport 3Ds, I have yet to get stuck, unless I go somewhere where I know I shouldnt be..like down an unplowed block with 6" of unplowed soft snow...you will sink down in it really quick and my Toyota isnt as high as a Jeep (even though the front bars have been tweaked up to raise the height and the rear has blocks), and I will find myself sitting on top of the snow. Thats the only time I'll ever get stuck.

Drove into a snowbank? No problem. Drove into that drift intentionally and got stuck? Reverse and out I go. Sure not being 4wd means the front wheels dont exactly bite from time to time in the deep stuff and the truck pushes, but its nothing a little boot of the right foot wont fix. Bring the back right around and I am on my way.

The last snow we had here left 6" of soft wet snow, and I was getting around that night and early that morning (had to take the gf to work, left her 335xi at home because I didnt trust anyone else on the highway driving like idiots around her), and let me tell you, senior citizens dont care if its snow, rain, shine, or the end of the world, at 6AM they are all up, cleaning their cars off and moseying around town at 10mph driving cautiously, because I have to try to get to the supermarket or CVS or Duane Reade because my coupons are going to expire!

I broke my snowbrush when I was cleanin out my snowblower, so I went down to the supermarket to find another (all gas stations were sold out)...I kid you not there were 20 old fucks sitting outside the door waiting for it to open....it was 28 degrees out + the wind blowing, and they were taking alternating turns pulling on the door to see if it would magically open or something (the guys inside opened it late). I shook my head in disgust and used what was left of my broken brush for the rest of the day.

If you dont need to be out in the mess, then DO NOT DO IT!! People around here like to treat it like just another day and it creates headaches for people who actually need to be out (plows, guys like us who make some $ on the side clearing ppls driveways and walkways). Your Depends and Granola Raisin Bars can wait.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #74
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
This is one of the reasons I bought a truck. Even though it is only 2wd, being a 5spd manual and I shod it with some nice Wintersport 3Ds, I have yet to get stuck, unless I go somewhere where I know I shouldnt be..like down an unplowed block with 6" of unplowed soft snow...you will sink down in it really quick and my Toyota isnt as high as a Jeep (even though the front bars have been tweaked up to raise the height and the rear has blocks), and I will find myself sitting on top of the snow. Thats the only time I'll ever get stuck.

Drove into a snowbank? No problem. Drove into that drift intentionally and got stuck? Reverse and out I go. Sure not being 4wd means the front wheels dont exactly bite from time to time in the deep stuff and the truck pushes, but its nothing a little boot of the right foot wont fix. Bring the back right around and I am on my way.

The last snow we had here left 6" of soft wet snow, and I was getting around that night and early that morning (had to take the gf to work, left her 335xi at home because I didnt trust anyone else on the highway driving like idiots around her), and let me tell you, senior citizens dont care if its snow, rain, shine, or the end of the world, at 6AM they are all up, cleaning their cars off and moseying around town at 10mph driving cautiously, because I have to try to get to the supermarket or CVS or Duane Reade because my coupons are going to expire!

I broke my snowbrush when I was cleanin out my snowblower, so I went down to the supermarket to find another (all gas stations were sold out)...I kid you not there were 20 old fucks sitting outside the door waiting for it to open....it was 28 degrees out + the wind blowing, and they were taking alternating turns pulling on the door to see if it would magically open or something (the guys inside opened it late). I shook my head in disgust and used what was left of my broken brush for the rest of the day.

If you dont need to be out in the mess, then DO NOT DO IT!! People around here like to treat it like just another day and it creates headaches for people who actually need to be out (plows, guys like us who make some $ on the side clearing ppls driveways and walkways). Your Depends and Granola Raisin Bars can wait.
+1 on having a truck. My z71 w the proper tires is a flat out beast in the snow. I have driven in some crazy crap with it in the past 2 years and have yet to get stuck. 25" unplowed on the highway during last year blizzard, no problem! 14" on the beach at Assateague, no issue (that was the worst ive experienced so far, drifting snow on top of drifting sand is seriously bad shit!), parking in plowed drifts and then busting my way out in 4wdL w packed snow up to the doors.

get some

02-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #75
dc5_champ88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stucks View Post
Your dad got another benz? schweeet
yea man, that benz saved his life...of course he would get it again lol

Previous: 03 Acura RSX-S: Boosted 400WHP (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #76
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:

I did EXACTLY that! Had a Quaife diff installed at IMA Motorsport and have never looked back. Awesome in the snow and wet and stuff, especially with dedicated snow tires.

Dumbest thing BMW has done was to not offer an LSD option...easy fix was to wear down your brakes with the nanny controls...

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #77
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
+1 on having a truck. My z71 w the proper tires is a flat out beast in the snow. I have driven in some crazy crap with it in the past 2 years and have yet to get stuck. 25" unplowed on the highway during last year blizzard, no problem! 14" on the beach at Assateague, no issue (that was the worst ive experienced so far, drifting snow on top of drifting sand is seriously bad shit!), parking in plowed drifts and then busting my way out in 4wdL w packed snow up to the doors.

get some

My father has a z71. They are really good in the snow. I dont think it has ever become stuck before. The little 04 trailblazer that I drive when it snows isn't as great, but still does a pretty decent job.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #78
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stucks View Post
My father has a z71. They are really good in the snow. I dont think it has ever become stuck before. The little 04 trailblazer that I drive when it snows isn't as great, but still does a pretty decent job.
the added weight of a large truck helps get down to hard packed snow for traction, that and a good 4wd system and good tires and your ready to rock.
      02-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #79
dcorn
Captain
Rep

Decent in the snow...

This was at Pike 7 plaza last year, I think during the 2nd blizzard.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #80
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Decent in the snow...

This was at Pike 7 plaza last year, I think during the 2nd blizzard.

yup that should do the trick
      02-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #81
dcorn
Captain
Rep

Ok, time for the state to go repair all the potholes from the snow clearing. I hit a huge one today on 395N in the fast lane, probably a little north of Duke street, doing around 70. Hit it with the same front pass. corner that I already replaced the tire, strut and knuckle from another pothole. No bubble on the outside of the tire, but I'm guessing the inside has one and it probably bent the wheel more than it already was. Just after, I saw a CL600 on the side of the road with a flat tire, so I'm guessing he hit the same one. This is BS.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #82
bigdog34uz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
yeah the hwy sucks right now!

13.00 @ 108.89 JB4 Times
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #83
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

glad I live up here

seems the highways are in better shape.

also happy my M3 is enjoying its hibernation in the garage
      04-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #84
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Bringing this back now that it's spring and we can all laugh about it. Anyone remember that horrible commute day this past winter? I remember that afternoon I told all of my staff to go home at 2pm, well before the snow started. And the ones that stayed regretted it bad. Lol Took me twice as long that afternoon to get home as well - about 20 minutes total

Welcome back spring season! Couldn't come quick enough. Ah, the memories we'll never forget from this past winter.
Appreciate 0