E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Minor screw up/ SES light on now

11-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
BB_cuda
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335D Msport

Minor screw up/ SES light on now

SO, i removed several plastic parts in preparation for possibly removing my intake manifold. Main engine cover, upper and lower microfilter trays, strut braces, rear engine cover. I disconnected a connector just behind the dipstick tube holder that connects to the intake manifold. I stopped at that point had to deal with a non car thing. So, i'm about to resume tonight and realise i need my car much sooner than what time it will take to do proper cleaning and reassembly. So, i go ahead and reassemble everything without a hitch ...I thought.

I start the car and get a picture of an engine in the cluster with diagonally half of it colored yellow. In the NAV screen, it says reduced power. Lastly, SES light on cluster also. At this point, i remember the connector on the intake by the dipstick holder. I had left it unplugged...ARGH said Charlie Brown. Turn car off and plug in connector. Restart car and wierd engine graphic is gone but SES stays lit.

I've read where some of you get a SES light and turn car off and restart and SES light goes away. So, i drove in neighborhood and came home and turned engine off. Restart and SES is on for a brief instant and then goes off and then a couple seconds later comes back on.

Going to leave car locked all night and restart tomorrow morning and hope SES stays off. If not. I will call Indy. I will tell him all of the above. I would feel to possibly compromise warranty if i take it to dealer and tell them the truth. Car has 28,000 miles and 15 months of warranty left.

So, do I just need to clear the code with a BT cable or something equivalent. I don't have one and want to take care of this quickly. Thinking of going to my local INDY who has all of the BMW software and equipment. I presume he can clear this.
      11-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
TDIwyse
Captain

Drives: 2011 335d

That little thing behind the dipstick is the MAP sensor. With it disconnected the DDE wouldn't know how much boost is being made. That's at least part of the problem for the reduced power mode. Usually you need multiple on/off cycles without the issue appearing again before the light will go off. Or you can just clear it with a tool (BT, Torque, just about any OBD II compatible scan tool, etc).

Good luck.
      11-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Nothing to stress about. Just clear the codes and you'll be set.
Mods: JBD @ 100% | Weisslicht LED side lenses | CF pillar trim | Cyba 4" dry carbon tips | CF trunk spoiler | LUX H8 V3 | 193M w/ Michelin PSS | BMS 12/15mm spacers | LTMW CF interior wrap | BSW Stage 1 | CF shifter trim | CF steering wheel trim | m-sport steering wheel | CF pedal set | CF license plate frames | Ziza LED interior kit | Euro side mirrors | Coded
AzureHaze is offline   United_States
      11-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
joe_planet
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 X5d

you could even keep driving until it goes away.. cause it will
you know, if you're lazy like me lol
joe_planet is offline   United_States
      11-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
gruppeM3
Private First Class

Drives: E46 M3, 335d M-Sport, 4.8is

Happened to me as well. I was installing a JBD though. For some reason it wasn't working and every time I turned on the car I would get the same problem. Reduced power and SES light. It went off after I turned the car on and off.
      11-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
BB_cuda
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335D Msport

thanks to all. I drove it this morning again. SES came on after start up. Drove to a restaurant for breakfast. Upon startup when leaving Denny's, SES did not come back on JUST AS YOU ALL STATED. Drama over. I got in too big of a hurry by not reconnecting that harness back. I was very careful to not leave any tools under the hood.

Thanks TDI, i din't know that the manifold had a MAP sensor. I came to the same conclusion though that the sensor was there looking for boost pressure.