E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Removing BMW Audio All Together

11-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
CMMLD
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Removing BMW Audio All Together

I am looking to add Bluetooth, Nav and Ipod to my 2007 E92 335i with professional HU and Logic 7. From all the posts in this forum, it has become clear that replacing any one part of the audio system (HU, Amp or Speakers) require specialized interfaces. My question to the group is this:

If I disconnect the factory HU, add aftermarket all-in-on Nav unit, install aftermarket amps and use the factory speakers (for the time being) will I create a situation where something will stop working, or produce tons of errors? To further qualify, I have no factory alarm either.

My concern at this point is also how to add a fibre optic block to complete the loop if the radio has been removed. I also don't see much in the way of how-to's for adding the steering wheel interface

I know this is a large number of questions, but I don't want to turn my car into a long term care project. Any and all advice is appreciated on this.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Not an expert but FYI

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365866
lots of info on the system in the above threads and links

I think you need Can bus adaptors to run the steering wheel controls with your new HU

There is also some kind of terminator for the optical bus you may have do other stuff to it I'm not real sure on that.
Some people move there existing head unit to the trunk(hooked up the same) or somewhere else so there is no change that the rest of the car sees

Last edited by ctuna; 11-26-2010 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Removing the OEM radio disables the gongs you hear when your car is running on "fuel reserve," don't have your seatbelt on, bulb out, etc.

You also lose OEM BMW assist.

To keep these features, you need to relocate the OEM radio to the trunk with the harness in one of the threads here in the audio section.

From there you can recode the HU from L7 to Hi-Fi so you get an analog signal. However, I think you need something to clean up the proscessing from the HU so you have a useable signal for your amps...I may be confusing this with L7.

Once you do the above, you can add amps, aftermarket HU, speakers, sub, etc. while retaining the OEM gongs, BMW assist, etc.

Search for "relocate OEM head unit" or the like to find the thread I am talking about.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Sirrus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Signal from HiFi is clean, but if he's putting another HU up front I don't think it matters since he's only using it for gongs, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrus View Post
Signal from HiFi is clean, but if he's putting another HU up front I don't think it matters since he's only using it for gongs, etc.
Ohh yea. Nice catch.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Basically, you're going to lose assist and BMW bluetooth if you relocate the head unit. Relocating the head unit is a way to keep the HU on the data bus, so that if the car goes in for service, the dealer computer doesn't "see" a missing head unit, or error codes for assist and bluetooth not working - and then pukes all over itself when it tries to do a software update. Retaining aa hidden head unit keeps all that working.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
bippie999
The One
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 m135i coupe sport package

Yikes, I want to add Bluetooth and iPod integration, and maybe an extra amp and sub, but I don't know if it would be better to get the BMW upgrades for my OEM HU, or swap it for an Alpine or Pioneer.
Appreciate 0