E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > polish vs. swirl remover?

08-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
tomtom11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

polish vs. swirl remover?

hello. i want to get rid of the swirl marks on my car. i noticed some products specifically saw swirl mark remover and others say polish. i know polish removes swirl marks so is the swirl mark remover even better at it or is it just a marketing thing? if so, whats the best polish? if not, do i use both? or do i just use a swirl remover? if so, which is the best? thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
2ndname
Autobot
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
You have to combo it with a more abrasive pad, normally an orange colored pad. Which particular product are you referring to? Example, you can use Menzerna Intensive POLISH to remove imperfections such as swirls. As an alternate, you can also use Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 for deeper imperfections.

Note that most of these solutions will have their suggested usage; minor, medium, major imperfection repairs. It is also advisable to follow up with a finishing polish which is normally a minor version of the that brand's solution. You will also be using a different pad to polish, normally a white/black pads. Example; If you are to use the Meguiar's M105, you will follow it up with the Meguiar's M205 with a white or black pad.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
tomtom11
Captain
Rep

thank you for the info. i believe the product was meguers swirl remover X or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

tomtom:

Don't get caught up in the semantics of product naming. Be aware that no one has to label their compounding products in any particular way and different manufacturers have different conventions.

It sounds like you have some defects that you'd like to correct. Instead of standing in front of a shelf at a store looking for key words like "polish" and "swirl remover", I'd spend some time hanging around a detailing forum and find a couple of specific product recommendations (like 2ndname had above) for your issues. Note that detailing forums (like autotopia and autogeek) are more hard core than subforums (like this one) and usually have a broader range of experience. Of course, lots of people hang around in both
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
2ndname
Autobot
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
I will have to agree with your first reaction to all of these products. I myself have never tackled any detailing project n any if my past cars due to the overabundance of products in the market. I get too overwhelmed and would just say f it. Once you have an idea what the proper detailing steps are, it is like the marketing bs veil has been lifted and I now have a better understanding of these products.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I can tell tomtom doesnt own a proper polisher for the job.
While the off the shelf products might work by hand application, it would be a lot of work to get results.

As I see it, the options are:
spend money on a pro - most expensive, best results
spend money on proper gear and learn how to use it - good results, lots of hard work, you can redo your car for years and years
go off the shelf - Megs 3 step process works good, but you might not get the best results.

You could start from bottom up. See how it fit your needs/bills. Of if you want to start on a fresh page, top to bottom. Get paint properly fixed, then learn how to maintain it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
tomtom11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndname View Post
I will have to agree with your first reaction to all of these products. I myself have never tackled any detailing project n any if my past cars due to the overabundance of products in the market. I get too overwhelmed and would just say f it. Once you have an idea what the proper detailing steps are, it is like the marketing bs veil has been lifted and I now have a better understanding of these products.
100% dead on
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
tomtom11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
tomtom:

Don't get caught up in the semantics of product naming. Be aware that no one has to label their compounding products in any particular way and different manufacturers have different conventions.

It sounds like you have some defects that you'd like to correct. Instead of standing in front of a shelf at a store looking for key words like "polish" and "swirl remover", I'd spend some time hanging around a detailing forum and find a couple of specific product recommendations (like 2ndname had above) for your issues. Note that detailing forums (like autotopia and autogeek) are more hard core than subforums (like this one) and usually have a broader range of experience. Of course, lots of people hang around in both
thank you for the info, i will check out those other forums
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
coolcobramatt
I like turtles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Lemans Blue

autogeek fan here...I would recommend Pinnacle Swirl Remover followed up with their Finishing Polish topped with Liquid Souveran. Buy a Porter Cable 7424 to make your job 100 times easier and also to save your back.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Removing swirls effectively normally requires a quality buffer and a good polish or set of polishes. I'll outline a full detail I recommend to someone who wants to make the paint shine like new again!

Wash and Dry
Most swirls come from this process so be sure to use good technique and quality products. If you need to upgrade your products check out these kits:
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar
Helps deep clean the paint.
DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube

Polish
This is the step where you actually remove the swirls for good and restore that like new shine again! A buffer is a huge help here as it can more thoroughly work in the polish and really get maximum results. If interested in picking up one the Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer is a completely safe and easy to use tool that will greatly improve your results. I'd recommend a two step polishing combination to really make the paint pop!
Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 - Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad 2x
Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 - Lake Country White Polishing Pad 2x

If you are not interested in a buffer or if it's not within your budget then just pick up the M205 listed above and apply that by hand with a foam applicator and medium pressure.

Sealant
Protect the shine and enhance it!
Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad 1x

Wax
A sealant provides more than enough protection and an outstanding shine so you can certainly stop there. If you want the maximum gloss apply a wax on top of the sealant.
Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax - Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad

Hand remove all of these products with CLEAN microfiber towels. I highly recommend picking up about 5x - 10x DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel.

If you have any questions please check out our detailing guide or ask me I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0