E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tips on how to unblock Windscreen Washer Motor

11-30-2013, 02:24 AM   #23
DMH-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Yeah it'll need stripping if it's blocking up again that quick.

It's not a bad job to DIY. I done mine the other week.

As mentioned make sure you wash the tank out thoroughly as well. I put mine in the bath and left it to soak for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 04:49 AM   #24
David Farnsworth
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325D M Sport Touring

Do denture (steradent) tablets work? Have seen some posts elsewhere that suggest they do? Just drop them in the top of the engine bay filler tube? Anyone tried it?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #25
MAN15H
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330e MSport

Didn't try that and didn't try blowing compressed air into the tank either.

I just removed the wheel liner then removed the washer tank and then removed the pump.

Discovered it had a thick slim all over the outlet that goes to the pump so cleaned that and washed out the tank then refitted it. Job done.

Super easy job and it works perfectly now.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 02:44 PM   #26
Billericay12
Registered
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport

Cleaning Reservoir without removal

My sons 318i just failed the MOT as the washers were not working properly. The water only dribbles out of the jet. I read all the comments on here and disconnected the pipe which is attached to the washer jet on the offside nearest to the reservoir. I connected a foot pump into the pipe and pumped air back in to the reservoir which temporarily cleared the blockage and the washers worked but after using them the next day they were blocked again. I suspected that the reservoir was all gunked up but removing the reservoir to clean it out was too complicated for me but I found a solution which has worked. I filled the reservoir to max and pumped air into it again and then pushed a piece of hose pipe down it and sucked the water up the pipe and syphoned it all out. It was full of gunk so I repeated it again but put the garden hose in the top and turned it on so that it was constantly filling the reservoir while at the same time the other piece of pipe was syphoning it out. I periodically pumped air into it to stir up the water inside and kept doing this until the water that was being syphoned out was clean. This has cured the problem . Happy days !

Last edited by Billericay12; 08-13-2023 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Appreciate 0