E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LCI LED tail lights, why they go bad.

11-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
brad bedell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 and S54 Z3M

LCI LED tail lights, why they go bad.

As these cars are going out of warranty, you guys might want to know about this cheap fix. I'll do the other light after I make sure this one is good. When I do, I'll write up a DIY.

History Overview:
Service bulletin:
"SUBJECT
LEDs in Rear Lamp Inoperative
MODEL
E90 (3 Series) from August 31, 2008 to February 2, 2010
SITUATION
The LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) in the outer left or outer right rear lamp are inoperative. Affected are the
LEDs for the parking lamp/tail lamp or the turn signals. No Check Control message is displayed.
CAUSE
Corrosion of an internal connection within the tail lamp
CORRECTION
Replace both outer rear lamps (left and right), even if only one side is inoperative. Refer to Repair Instruction
REP 63 21 180.
All lamps are to be retained intact by the dealer, awaiting either:
A parts 1. return request to send parts to BMW
An indication to scrap the parts based on information provided in the dealer's scrap report, at which time the parts are to be destroyed to prevent reuse."

That leads me to today:

I picked up some of these 'warrantied lights' recently for the purpose of trouble shooting. It's certainly NOT the connection in my case. However, if it were the connection, a bit of dielectric grease on the contacts will prevent the corrosion. BMW certainly knows this and would have 'cleaned the connection and used some grease' instead of replacing all the lights.

I suspected they had a bad solder joint. So I disassembled the lights and re-flowed the joints at the connectors between boards. I noticed when bench testing with a 9v battery that I could get them to all light up and flicker a bit if I put pressure on the solder joints.

The light came apart reasonably easy with a small screw driver. I pried them apart slowly by twisting the screw driver. They are glued on with a plastic cement or maybe even something like superglue. It's a very light bead, so breaking it apart was pretty easy. Sealing them back up will be a bit more of a chore, but not impossible. I'll get the big boy camera out to reassemble them after I repair the board.

Anyhow, this is the initial bench test:

I touched up the solder joints at all these connections shown by the pen. (at all the white wire connections)

I need to hook it up to a 12v power source to verify. I'm just using a 9v battery.

After testing a few times. I decided to stress test my 'fix' and toss it around on my desk a little and retest after each 'toss' to look for bad connections. I found I had to retouch a few of LED's. They were easy to identify by pressing down lightly with my finger on the LED itself.

Looking at the board, most of the connections are not shiny like a good solder joint. They are dull which leads me to believe the manufacturer of these boards didn't program their robot quite right. It probably needed a bit more solder and a couple more milliseconds of heat.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
JBizzle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

Garage List
2000 BMW Z3 2.3  [0.00]
2009 328i  [0.00]
very nice work, Brad!
2006 325i - TiAG - Black Leather - 6MT - Sport - Xenons - Euro-Tails - 26k miles - RIP
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
brad bedell
Private
United_States
Rep

I glued it back together. I'm not real comfortable about it being leak sealed. I'll be flowing some clear windshield sealant in there after I verify it's working 100%. I feels these things can come apart once at the most. The 2nd time might be doable if you used the correct type of glue/sealant.

Adding some more random peeksures:

Assembly without the LED bits:

LED bits, with chrome:

Another of the housing:

Just the lens:

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
brad bedell
Private
United_States
Rep

Caveat for those of you who might want to try this:

You know the TV CSI trick where they get fingerprints from super-glue vapor? Lets just say, it's not fiction.

I've got super-glue vapor prints inside the rear light now.... I guess I'll see if it comes apart a 2nd time.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
brad bedell
Private
United_States
Rep

it's a parts light now.. bummer. Cracked the lens when I took it apart the 2nd time. those marks were NOT there before the superglue vapors. Pretty cool that it actually works.

Appreciate 1
      12-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Hi Brad,

thanks for posting this. I will make sure to wear gloves when dealing with my housings. Also, can you explain what you mean by reflowing and what the process is for adding solder to the points you mentioned? I need to repair my light.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Wow man, that is some badass work there. Wish I had your talent- I'm petrified to touch anything like that!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Indeed, thanks for sharing such great info. Though I dont have these issues....
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

If anyone is looking for a LCI tail light project -

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785168
      12-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sub'd
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
brad bedell
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Hi Brad,

thanks for posting this. I will make sure to wear gloves when dealing with my housings. Also, can you explain what you mean by reflowing and what the process is for adding solder to the points you mentioned? I need to repair my light.

Tin the tip of your soldering iron and touch the solder joint for a second. Too long and you'll overheat the surface mounts. On the wire contacts, I added a bit of solder. You'll want to use a high quality iron with a very fine tip.

When these were assembled they were likely baked in an oven or assembled by robot. They can be hand-repaired, but it's delicate work. If you've never done work like this before, expect to ruin the first light. However, if you're trying this, you've given up on the chance of a warranty anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
ERIC212NYC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Could you post a couple of more pictures of where to solder the points? I had mine replaced twice, but now I am out of warranty and it the problem cropped up again.

I saw a picture of someone cutting the plastic on the inside to remove the board. Not sure if that is a good idea or not.

This is a very annoying problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #13
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC212NYC View Post
Could you post a couple of more pictures of where to solder the points? I had mine replaced twice, but now I am out of warranty and it the problem cropped up again.

I saw a picture of someone cutting the plastic on the inside to remove the board. Not sure if that is a good idea or not.

This is a very annoying problem.
Removing the plastic might be easier to seal up. The mexican forum where that is listed the guy says he plastic welded it shut again. Sounds pretty good to me. I have this problem and I don't know which method I am going to try yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Dull solder joint points to a few possibilities, most likely:

1. Not enough flux
2. Flux not sufficiently cleaned after reflow, causing oxidation.

Both will cause loose/weak solder joints. All you have to do is dab rosin flux on existing solder joint and apply heat with solder iron. You will see the solder joints turn shiny, immediately remove heat. Be sure to remove remaining flux with alcohol. Rosin flux won't cause oxidation as much as water-based flux, but it's acidic nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
Dominus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 328i w/ XDrive

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [10.00]
I have a passenger set if anyone wants a cheap project one:http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802015
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
brad bedell
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapoloco View Post
Dull solder joint points to a few possibilities, most likely:

1. Not enough flux
2. Flux not sufficiently cleaned after reflow, causing oxidation.

Both will cause loose/weak solder joints. All you have to do is dab rosin flux on existing solder joint and apply heat with solder iron. You will see the solder joints turn shiny, immediately remove heat. Be sure to remove remaining flux with alcohol. Rosin flux won't cause oxidation as much as water-based flux, but it's acidic nonetheless.
Thanks for clarifying. They were dull from the factory. Not sufficiently cleaning the flux could cause the delayed failure. It's hard to say.BMW is collecting them and destroying them as often as they can on warranty.

For those who asked about getting them apart. I just used a small screwdriver and slowly worked around the lens mechanically forcing it apart. A hot knife or something else might be a better option. I don't have much experience at taking these apart. I'd lean toward a clear bead of tub and tile silicone for reassembly. It'd be water tight and could be pealed apart if necessary.

Like I said before, I cracked it the second time I attempted to take it apart. If you do take them apart, be prepared to crack them as it's very easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
Bobby Hated
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sport

im having the same problem. im going to rehash this thread in case someone can advise me.

im gonna check with a family member, but say i cant manage to take my lights apart and rewire them like OP did, is my only other option to buy a whole new set? are there any shops you can take it to and have them fix it, short of buying a new set of lights?

these are the LED tail lights i have on my 07 E90: http://www.myhotbimmer.com/bmw/Optio...1-12129/609954
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
charmin
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M-Sport June 2009

I recently did this repair to my 320i 09 LCi rear light cluster, posted elsewhere however I thought this may be of some help to others although the great post by Brad bedell got me started and wouldn't have tried without his input on here, these are just a few extra helping points.

It worked a treat and you would never know the light had been apart.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...ml#post1102625
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #19
dannypio
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

Photos please

I registered but still can't see the photos of your work Brad. Any way that I can view them? I'm gonna take a shot at doing this. thanks, Danny
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #20
brad bedell
Private
United_States
Rep

Photos were gone. I've looked on my hard drive and not been able to find them. Some others have posted up photos.

-B
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #21
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Bump, would love if these pictures were working!
      12-11-2017, 12:21 AM   #22
Dryfit
Rep
Drives: 525i E60, 320i E46

Among other things i fix automotive led clusters for a living, proper way to fix is to cut from behind. I use dental lab motor for this, it is more melt than cut, dremel with 1.5mm drill bit works just as well, dril a small hole and use drill bit to cut sideways, be carefull not to go too deep, cut 2-3mm INSIDE of a edge that holds foam gasket (slowly remove gasket before cutting) so you dont need to seal it for waterproofing again. Solder joints on those leds dont usualy go bad unless seal is broken and water finds its way to circuit board, leds fail internaly from vibrations, those are silicone sealed led smd chips. some leds start working after reflow cose you move led internals when reflowing but it is a short term fix, most of them will fail again except if you are extreamly lucky. I dont fix water damaged tail lights cose they fail again and again. To identify failed leds after you remove circuit board attach 9 to 11v 1A power supply (so you don't burn any leds during diagnostic) touch them lightly on the center with tweezers, if this does not work try shorting out one at the time until the rest of the led cluster turn on (e90 tails have very stupid electronics, if one led fails whole cluster stops working or start flickering). Replace any suspicious leds, they are dirt cheap. When you replace all failed leds test everything on a 12v power supply then put everything back together and use flat tip solder iron to weld plastic back together. Not super easy but it can be done under 40 min per light, it will stay sealed and repair will not be visible until light cluster is removed and if it fails again fix can be redone, often not the case if you removed and glued lens. There you go😀
Appreciate 0