E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > service shock!

11-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

service shock!

the e93 played up a year ago, was the usual coil problem £200 at Indy. 3 weeks ago same problem, oil service due in 3000 so thought take it to dealer have service get the coils changed FOC. turns out not the coil but the oxygen sensor. they say it needs updating as well so agree to that, thatl be £537 please, thinking not too terrible. went to pick car up the bill is nearly £1100, gulp! the £537 did not include the service!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M-Sport 330i Le Mans Blue

No goodwill? That's a huge amount...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

You'd think if it "Needs" updating that would be something BMW would do FOC, seems that any old update dreamt up by BMW can be very profitable

Do extended warranties cover software updates?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
the e93 played up a year ago, was the usual coil problem £200 at Indy. 3 weeks ago same problem, oil service due in 3000 so thought take it to dealer have service get the coils changed FOC. turns out not the coil but the oxygen sensor. they say it needs updating as well so agree to that, thatl be £537 please, thinking not too terrible. went to pick car up the bill is nearly £1100, gulp! the £537 did not include the service!!
fcuk me!!!!....thats RAPE!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

To be honest mate I think they saw you coming. You have to be very careful when you take your car to a main dealer as most are very unscrupulous and will always try it on by adding on extra costs and "bits that need doing".

I can't remember the number of times they've tried to lead me up the garden path with bogus jobs or being sat in a service reception, listening to the crap they are feeding the poor unsuspecting souls, especially women who often don't have a clue. I remember many moons ago taking my car in for a service and also mentioning that the front seats where a bit squeaky, thinking they could just put a drop of lubricant on the frame joints only to be told that the whole seat frames\assembly would need to be changed to cure the creaking which would have cost thousands! I politely told them to eff off. It's sad but unfortunately you have to be on your toes when dealing with them or they will take the p*ss.

I take my car to the dealer for basic servicing as I want to retain the FBMWSH but even then I shop around my local BMW dealers for the best deal. Anything else which needs doing and it goes to a reputable indie, at least I know they'll do it properly and not try to rip me off.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
To be honest mate I think they saw you coming. You have to be very careful when you take your car to a main dealer as most are very unscrupulous and will always try it on by adding on extra costs and "bits that need doing".

I can't remember the number of times they've tried to lead me up the garden path with bogus jobs or being sat in a service reception, listening to the crap they are feeding the poor unsuspecting souls, especially women who often don't have a clue. I remember many moons ago taking my car in for a service and also mentioning that the front seats where a bit squeaky, thinking they could just put a drop of lubricant on the frame joints only to be told that the whole seat frames\assembly would need to be changed to cure the creaking which would have cost thousands! I politely told them to eff off. It's sad but unfortunately you have to be on your toes when dealing with them or they will take the p*ss.

I take my car to the dealer for basic servicing as I want to retain the FBMWSH but even then I shop around my local BMW dealers for the best deal. Anything else which needs doing and it goes to a reputable indie, at least I know they'll do it properly and not try to rip me off.
I can only echo what you have just said I can't believe that they charge you labour time for an software update. Its simply the case of plugging in a plug and hitting update. After that two minutes of work is done, the technician can carry on with other jobs or have a cup of tea until its completed.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
You'd think if it "Needs" updating that would be something BMW would do FOC, seems that any old update dreamt up by BMW can be very profitable

Do extended warranties cover software updates?
The manufactures warranty will cover s/w updates only if you report a problem. I'm not too sure whether an AUC warranty will do the same, although I don't see why not.

I think the only difference between 'makers' warranty and an 'auc' warranty is that the comprehensive level auc warranty doesn't cover interior trim.
      11-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
£1100!

Geez,your ringpiece must be well sore Jeff

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

i thought it a bit strange when they asked me to bend over the desk and drop my jeans! to be fair i suppose i should have asked how much before i gave the go ahead. if id known it was an oxygen sensor id have gone to my indy but i assumed it was the coils again, whats the saying "never assume anything" lesson learned. Also car wasnt under warranty. Gutting thing is i paid £350 up front for 5 years servicing when i bought the new 335d (stick to diesels in future!)

Last edited by acerboo; 11-16-2012 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0