E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > installin clear bra? same concept as tint?

04-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
macboi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 e90

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
installin clear bra? same concept as tint?

I was gonna send my car to the tint shop to get my clear bra installed, just wondering if anyone has done a DIY or have any clues if it's the same concept as a tint paper so i can give it to my shop to do
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

Same general concept but I wouldnt let anyone near my car who hadn't done it before and was very good at it.

But hey it's your car if you want to let them learn on it then your a better man then I..........

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
dude its very hard to do. even the hood. i know its flat but damn i looks hard. i have a dvd that teach you how to do it. i bought the kit on ebay. that kit is no use if you cant find someone to install it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
macboi
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
nah i wasn't quite sure , that's why i asked, i heard of clear bra, but i never really dealt with these before. Well, if anything i'll get more opinions and consider an option
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 09:53 PM   #5
macboi
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
So should i consider just coughin out the money and letting the dealership do it? it really doesn't matter, i just think the price for installation is a bit high, but if it's that hard then i'll make sure the dealership takes care of that
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

Well there are many other places that you can get to do it. Some of the tint shops around here have done 50-100 times more of the clear bra jobs then the dealership has. I would go to somewhere that feels the need to earn your business as opposed to being entitled to it.

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
andrew 330i
it can never be too clean...
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboi
I was gonna send my car to the tint shop to get my clear bra installed, just wondering if anyone has done a DIY or have any clues if it's the same concept as a tint paper so i can give it to my shop to do
Stongard (SG) Install Instructions: (any clear bra)

Items needed:

1. New large plastic spray bottle
2. Rubbing alcohol
3. Glass cleaner
4. Water
5. Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo (allows you to pull up and re-apply SG for flaws or bubbles during install)
6. Scissors
7. Heat gun / blow dryer
8. exacto knife
9. Minimum of 2 people to install (required for large pieces)
10. Lots of patience!

Step-by-Step Instructions:

1. Use factory touch-up paint on any stone chips, apply with a toothpick or fine brush. Allow paint to dry thoroughly (24 hours).
2. Apply glass cleaner to paint surface, allow glass cleaner to soak. Re-spray and remove with a lint free towel. This removes any dead bugs on the paint surface.
3. Apply straight rubbing alcohol on a towel, apply to paint surface where Stongard (SG) will be applied. This removes any remaining wax or silicone.
4. Mix solution: ½ water, ½ rubbing alcohol, and a cap full of Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Shampoo. Shake well.
5. Use scissors to cut out all pieces of SG from backing paper.
6. Start with smallest pieces first.
7. Saturate first area where SG will be applied on the car.
8. Spray finger tips with solution to avoid leaving print on the film.
9. Remove SG from paper and saturate adhesive side of film with solution, re-spray car surface. The wetter the better.
10. Line up SG, and saturate front of film.
11. Squeegee from the inside/out, pushing bubbles outward to the edge of the film.
12. Pull up if necessary to remove flaws, re-soak and re-squeegee.
13. Repeat for each piece.
14. Use heat gun/blow dryer for adhering loose edges. Squeegee. Be careful not to wrinkle film by using too much heat.
15. Apply largest pieces last.
16. Keep all surfaces wet/saturated at all times, until set in place.

Flaws will be present after installation, don’t be alarmed. Park the car in the direct sunlight to aid with flaw removal. Don’t be judgmental until at least a week after installation. Almost all flaws with evaporate with time.

Some trimming may be required on the edges. Use an exacto knife to “lightly” to score SG, lift edge and remove excess SG. Don’t push too hard when trimming, you may damage, scratch or etch the vehicles paint. This is an art with a steady hand and appropriate pressure.

~ i have installed 100+ kits over the years.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
DILLIGAF
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330i ZSP MT CA

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Chances are the dealer sends it out to someone else to do. You are better off calling around to clear bra installers and taking the car to them after you take delivery and cut out the middleman (dealer) who will charge you extra for the convenience of having it taken in for you. Thats what I did and saved half the money the dealer was gonna charge.