E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > m coupe vs evo x?

06-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

m coupe vs evo x?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a fun car and two that have caught my eye are the M coupe and the new Evo X GSR. Price differences aside, I'm having a really difficult time deciding between these two. Both should be suitable for the track and for daily driving. Haven't had a test drive but that will come soon.

As far as the M coupe, there really isn't a ton of data on it. A lot of reviews mention the initial understeer and the twitchyness, but I haven't seen too many laptimes for it, other than that horrible C&D lightning lap test where it gets beaten by a 335i... The looks are polarizing, but I think it looks good.

The Evo won't have the interior or build quality of the BMW, but the handling numbers are insane. I'm not in love with the idea of such dependency on the turbo, though. The 4B11 can be modded more easily than the S54, but it will never sound as good or have that immediate response. The Evo is far more practical, being a full sedan, but I worry about the build / interior quality being an issue.

If anyone has any experiences with these cars feel free to chime in.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My father has an M coupe and I absolutely love it. I drive it on weekends occasionally and haven't found any flaws with it as far as craftsmanship is concerned. I will say it isn't as good of a car as the old e46 M3. Its hard to explain but something seems missing when driving it. As a track performer the M coupe exhibits a lot of under steer on initial turn in followed by excessive power over steer in a lot of situations. There are several videos online that demonstrate this tendency (watch the topgear one). That being said if you plan on modding the car, several people over at bimmerfest.com have had a lot of success with the addition of swaybars, michellin ps2's and suspension adjustments. I like to compare the M coupe to a hammer. Its a blunt object thats a lot of fun to play with, but when you mess up it makes you pay for it. That being said when you master how to use it properly its one of the most rewarding experiences I think you can experience behind the wheel. Sometimes its more fun to grab something by the throat and wrestle it around a track than it is to go for a leisurely cruise (even if you are beating the clock or people).

I cant say much about the Evo except for the obvious stuff that you probably know already. So I'll let someone else chime in on that.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
As far as the M coupe, there really isn't a ton of data on it. A lot of reviews mention the initial understeer and the twitchyness, but I haven't seen too many laptimes for it, other than that horrible C&D lightning lap test where it gets beaten by a 335i... The looks are polarizing, but I think it looks good.

The Evo won't have the interior or build quality of the BMW, but the handling numbers are insane. I'm not in love with the idea of such dependency on the turbo, though. The 4B11 can be modded more easily than the S54, but it will never sound as good or have that immediate response. The Evo is far more practical, being a full sedan, but I worry about the build / interior quality being an issue.

If anyone has any experiences with these cars feel free to chime in.

Thanks
No doubt about the M Coupe being twitchy, it's great on the track but off it and on a road with a surface other than perfect you will lose confidence on pushing it very, very quickly indeed.

The Evo X is largely unknown, it's build has taken a step in the right direction but it's still well behind the germans. Though if this doesn't concern you then you can't go wrong from a pure fun point of view, economy is awful and though the ride is better than before it still rock hard.

Both will provide fun and thrills by the bucket load but in different ways.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
m coupe is soooo much fun to drive, it's an amazing go-kart, it's awesome car
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 GTI

EVO has one of the cheapest interiors I've seen in a Japanese car period. My friend was really looking at buying one, it's been his dream car for a very long time, and he's mainly into the import scene. However, after a rather unpleasant day spent at the Mitsu dealership i drove him kicking and screaming to a BMW dealer, and he's getting a 335i in 3 months
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 03:24 AM   #6
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
You picked the wrong place to ask this. If you go to a non biased forum, you'll get more objective answers.
      06-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
You picked the wrong place to ask this. If you go to a non biased forum, you'll get more objective answers.
This is true, but M coupe / roadster owners are a lot easier to find on a BMW forum. Besides, it's not like I asked if a procede v2 335 is faster than either one .
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

i have an M roadster and I think it is one helluva car. im not saying it because i own it, but the car is just a whole lot of fun. i have driven the car and i have never lost confidence in the handling / power. its the kind of powerful light car that you want to keep a little extra juice hanging in reserve because you never know when you might need it. It definatly is not the car you want to be completely reckless and go all out in. gotta save some power
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
This is true, but M coupe / roadster owners are a lot easier to find on a BMW forum. Besides, it's not like I asked if a procede v2 335 is faster than either one .
I only say that because most people only know the IX versions and below so they think the interior is crap, which really it is. The Evo X really is a step up as far as quality. Hella fun to drive too!
      06-14-2008, 02:13 AM   #10
EVO_S4
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW  [8.24]
If you want a car that fun to drive get the Evo, Mcoupe if you are worried about you imagine
      06-14-2008, 02:35 AM   #11
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT

Both awesome unbelievable cars. Both are fun to drive, the question is what are you looking for? The M coupe is a complete package of performace + luxury while the Evo is primarily performance without the luxury (harsh ride + lots of road noise and engine noise in the cabin, some people like this.) If you can answer that then I think you have your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 04:17 AM   #12
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RDSport RS 46

The M Coupe will always be a thrill to drive, and I think the design is amazing. There was a quote from some BMW exec in their magazine a while back saying that the M Coupe separates the men from the boys, couldn't agree more. It's just a really pure drivers' car, it feels light, agile, and that engine never grows old. I find the new Evo a bit bland performance wise despite its impressive credentials, the interior is terrible, and I really don't like the exterior either. The M Coupe will be a future classic.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
chris719
Major General
Rep

Thanks for all of the input!

I've 90% decided on the M coupe, but they are getting hard to find if you are picky about the colors or options.

Evo_S4, how do you like yours so far? I have heard a lot of bad things about paint chipping, clutch issues, running rich, etc..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
I only say that because most people only know the IX versions and below so they think the interior is crap, which really it is. The Evo X really is a step up as far as quality. Hella fun to drive too!
Thats true man
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
BryGuy1086
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2001 330ci

dude go to www.evolutionm.net and ask the guys there, they know there shit
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #16
fastlanez
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' BMW 135i Vert & 09' CanAm

I have had 2 Evo's a IX SE and a IX MR SE. There is nothing and i mean nothing more fun to drive in it's relative price range. The reason I opted out of the Evo was because of image. Yup, I am a sucker! I currently drive a 330i sedan and love it, the luxury, looks and respect are plenty, but if you like to drive like a bat of out hell most of the time and take a corner without lifting off the throttle too much, the Evo is the way to go. As far as the X, I drove one at a local dealership and craftsmanship is much better, the car is a bit slower than the IX as it adds almost 300lbs to it body. If it were my money there's no question, Evo over the M coupe all day every day!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:29 PM   #17
nOLd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MCoupe Interlagos Blue

Quote:
Thanks for all of the input!

I've 90% decided on the M coupe, but they are getting hard to find if you are picky about the colors or options.

Evo_S4, how do you like yours so far? I have heard a lot of bad things about paint chipping, clutch issues, running rich, etc..
Good Luck if your looking for a brand new one or you can always get the E92
Appreciate 0