E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > That damned HVAC fan

04-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

That damned HVAC fan

stopped working on me again today... no warning this time, working in AM, not working in PM. It previously was whiny because the dealership it was originally serviced at had stripped the filter housing holes and just left it sitting loose and therefore water got in... I fixed that a while back with the brass inserts and 3-in-1'd the fan (and in fact have been doing so as PM maybe once a year.)

When I pulled it out it felt tight, but not really exorbitantly so. I dripped a little oil on the front and rear bushings, spun it a few times, and reassembled. Now it's working again.

Question is, for how long? Would replacing with a new motor fix it, or is it likely that the control thing attached to it is really what's failing? How to test, other than carry a meter around with me at all times, leave the cover off the lower dash, and wait for it to fail again?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I've got some data for you. I replaced my HVAC blower in December 2010 at 129,000 miles. I had been making noises for months before and finally the fan cage started rubbing the housing. Fast forward to this past winter and now at 270,000 miles the HVAC blower is again making noise. I plan on replacing it soon.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

That is remarkably consistent longevity...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (E90)

Was your fan very rusty when you removed it?
If so, maybe replace the fan first since it may be near the end of it's life and do the resistor pack later if you still have issues.

The blower I got was a TYC for $85cad on Rockauto.

The only other item I can think of to fail in that circuit is the control module, but I would think that's considerably more rare. And since your fan is known to have taken on some water I would suspect that area first.

This was mine after 7yrs when it failed (got so squeaky that I couldn't cope any more):

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigYahi View Post
That is remarkably consistent longevity...
Of all the cars I've owned, and most all of them I took past 160,000 miles, with 3 to over 250,000 miles, the only cars I've ever had to deal with a HVAC blower motor is the BMWs. I had to replace the resistor pack in both the E30 and Z3, and the actual motor in the E90 (coming on twice now). Ford, GM, Jeep, VW, Acura... never considered the HVAC blower a concern. The E90 design is stupid. A vertical electric motor shaft in a wet environment; just asking for bearing failure.

And what I don't get is the E30 HVAC design. Blower motor is easy to get to in the engine bay, and the heater core was replaceable in about 30 minutes. Beautiful design for repair purposes. That's why older BMWs were worth the money, because they were designed with easy repairs in mind. The new ones, not so much.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
Donlin
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Mine is making noises. Is there a DIY guide to changing it out?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlin View Post
Here's one from Pelican

It took me about 15mins to swap out... It's an awkward spot to work in, so do some stretches or something. lol
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
whenasked
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Go with the option of removing glove box..don't try to do with out removing glove box.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

In my E92 I can do it only by dropping the trim panel (2 screws)

it's working again but now is chirping... so I guess it is the blower

is the TYC one quality, or should I pay 2x for the original BMW one? (I know it sucks, but am always suspicious of aftermarket parts.)

Has anyone had luck with lubing the shaft? 3-in-1 is what I've been using but it obviously is not getting it done.

Yes, it is slightly rusty but I fixed the air intake several years ago when I got the car...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #10
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
In my E92 I can do it only by dropping the trim panel (2 screws)

it's working again but now is chirping... so I guess it is the blower

is the TYC one quality, or should I pay 2x for the original BMW one? (I know it sucks, but am always suspicious of aftermarket parts.)

Has anyone had luck with lubing the shaft? 3-in-1 is what I've been using but it obviously is not getting it done.

Yes, it is slightly rusty but I fixed the air intake several years ago when I got the car...
The TYC one is the white one in the picture. I've had it for a year or so and it works great. I like that it has a metal plate that encloses the motor - the sticker you can see all the guts exposed.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 05:17 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlin View Post
Here's my DIY from 4 years ago. You don't need to remove the glove box.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf HVAC Blower Motor Replacement 3.pdf (189.7 KB, 126 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 05:18 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamN52 View Post
The TYC one is the white one in the picture. I've had it for a year or so and it works great. I like that it has a metal plate that encloses the motor - the sticker you can see all the guts exposed.
I like that design too, but why are there open vents on it?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I like that design too, but why are there open vents on it?
If you mean the two holes in the black piece at the bottom of the picture, that's where the resistor pack mounts. I hadn't swapped it over to the new blower yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamN52 View Post
If you mean the two holes in the black piece at the bottom of the picture, that's where the resistor pack mounts. I hadn't swapped it over to the new blower yet.
Thanks. That what I thought they were. I've not looked at the blower motor since I changed mine out in 2010.
Appreciate 0