E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > jlevi ECU Reflash for $799?

04-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

jlevi ECU Reflash for $799?

Found this:

http://jlevistreetwerks.com/store/BM...5205f17338dcb4

Looks pretty reasonable, someone might want to give them a ring. If I read it correctly they claim 50hp / 70tq!

Someone buy this and let me desodier/read the ECU chip.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

damn i was thinking it was actually from bmw....better change the name to something like "jlevi bmw reflashes" or something!!!! you got my hopes up
________
How To Roll A Blunt

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
damn i was thinking it was actually from bmw....better change the name to something like "jlevi bmw reflashes" or something!!!! you got my hopes up
+1... crappy title, I came in thinking it was a BMW branded flash...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
So it likes there are a few reflashes now...this one, Turner motorsport. Found this one from Noelle motors. about 40/40 is the gain

http://www.noellemotors.de/335i_bi-t...af6b7ec.0.html
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

My local dyno shop is beta testing the GIAC flash for the 335... they are installing it on a car this week. they said they spoke to "garret"? which I guess works for GIAC, who said it will show crazy gains, they said development was hard, but well worth it...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
I don't see the appeal of going with a reflash over a piggy-back when there are definitely more down sides to it IMO. Its not like the price is too far off, and going back and forth between stock and flashed is a PITA, especially when you leave traces of it behind in the ecu.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

So why would anybody go back and forth?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
nj1266
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
I don't see the appeal of going with a reflash over a piggy-back when there are definitely more down sides to it IMO. Its not like the price is too far off, and going back and forth between stock and flashed is a PITA, especially when you leave traces of it behind in the ecu.
My experience with an Xede and a flash says otherwise. For starters, the flash gives you more consistent results over a piggyback. The flash on my Evo gave me better hp/tq than the Xede did. I was able to run more timing and a leaner AFR on the flash than on the Xede. Maybe my Xede was faulty, I don't know for sure. If my Xede was not faulty, then I suspect the reason for the lower preformance has to do with the way piggbacks intercept the CAS and MAF signals and relay them to the ECU. With a flash no such interception exists. The ECU reads the map burned into it and reacts to sensor data. There is no middleman (piggback) involved.

Second, the Xede had a tendency to go into limp mod on occasion. It was rare but it still happened. Basically, the led light was flashing orange when the car was running when it should have been green. So I had to turn off the car and restart it to make the LED green.

Third, You can flash the car back to stock if you saved your original rom image. But as you said some "checksum" traces will be left that the ECU has been flashed. But the dealer has to look really hard to find those, IIRC.

Anyway, I tried both and my experience with a flash was better than my experience with a piggback.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
Its not like the price is too far off, and going back and forth between stock and flashed is a PITA, especially when you leave traces of it behind in the ecu.
Or just get an extra ECU to swap back in if the need ever arose.

It really comes down to the need of the individual. Both have their pros and cons.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Going back and forth was easy in my Corvettes/Camaros. You just plug the the cable in the ODBII port, and load the map you want to run. It takes 30 seconds, and stays loaded until you change it. The BMW tuning isn't to that point yet, but it will be some day...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Good to see GIAC is beginning to tune. Very reputable company. I have also read APR and Neuspeed might be looking into tuning the 335 as well.

A flash is more convenient and can even give you the option of changing maps on the fly (apr uses the cruise control stalk). Problem is, if the dealer looks hard enough, they might be able to see it.

I am interested to see what Garrett can do with the 335. Apr would be interesting too. They have a top notch facility and staff.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
So why would anybody go back and forth?
The big reason seems to be so you can get away with changing between factory and modified specs on your ECU, whenever you want, and still have BMW do all your warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #13
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
My experience with an Xede and a flash says otherwise. For starters, the flash gives you more consistent results over a piggyback. The flash on my Evo gave me better hp/tq than the Xede did. I was able to run more timing and a leaner AFR on the flash than on the Xede. Maybe my Xede was faulty, I don't know for sure. If my Xede was not faulty, then I suspect the reason for the lower preformance has to do with the way piggbacks intercept the CAS and MAF signals and relay them to the ECU. With a flash no such interception exists. The ECU reads the map burned into it and reacts to sensor data. There is no middleman (piggback) involved.

Second, the Xede had a tendency to go into limp mod on occasion. It was rare but it still happened. Basically, the led light was flashing orange when the car was running when it should have been green. So I had to turn off the car and restart it to make the LED green.

Third, You can flash the car back to stock if you saved your original rom image. But as you said some "checksum" traces will be left that the ECU has been flashed. But the dealer has to look really hard to find those, IIRC.

Anyway, I tried both and my experience with a flash was better than my experience with a piggback.
I understand where you are coming from when you lean towards a flash because I have felt the difference between my turbo s2000 with an aem ems and my friend's turbo s2k with a greddy emanage that were both tuned from the same person and mine definitely felt better since there was no delay or hesitation of any kind, it just ran exactly as you told it to, nothing to interfere with it. My friend's s2k with the piggy back would feel like there was a hesitation between vac and boost, and it just wasn't smooth like my car was. It felt more off and on, unlike stock. The only reason why I am hesitant about a flash with this car is because I have owned an E46 in the past and BMW's tend to have problems here and there where its almost a necessity to bring it into the dealer for service even if you know how to turn a wrench. If I was buying another s2k or an evo I would totally agree with you, but with the BMW its a different ball game IMO where hiding ecu mods is pretty important since these cars tend to have bugs that need to be worked out (ie. during the 1st month of owning my e46 I had to have the starter replaced, the ECU updated with a patch to fix my random engine revving in neutral, and around 27 window regulators). Just my 2 cents, I think its just easier to use a piggy-back and take it out, but there are always trade offs.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0