E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Do you give to charity?

08-17-2011, 02:07 AM   #23
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
i dont
i would rather give it to my kids, all the money in the world will never sort out the problems in the world, if i am walking past a cancer pot i may chuck in loose change, but asking people for £5 a month when the uk has there own problems is taking the piss

i dont know maybe i am wrong
I really hope you and your family never need the lifesaving service of an organisation such a Cancer relief or the British Heart Foundation, you might change your tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 02:16 AM   #24
Team Green2
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I M Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [0.00]
When i worked in the pup industry we did alot of things for charity, it all started one day when me and a friend thought it would be funny to run to our rival pub in nothing but our boxers and back again (wouldnt have been so bad but it was late one evening on a freezing december night). We managed to raise £300 then our landlady said that if we managed to double it she would run with us...... had to be done and managed to do it.
We then did other various events went skydiving, held charity days at the pub with sumo wresteling and bouncy castles. Whilst doing all these charitable events we were nominated for the heart of the comunity award for the south of England and came runners up.
I like doing things for charity especialy when i have delt with the problems first hand within my Family.
      08-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #25
MickyD'bo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 335d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
I give a huge chunk of my paycheck each month to help support the jobless population of the UK and their expensive drug habits.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 02:32 AM   #26
Team Green2
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I M Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo9 View Post
Well said.
Thats not charity it robbery charity is helping those in need not helping those that cant be arsed
      08-17-2011, 02:37 AM   #27
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I really hope you and your family never need the lifesaving service of an organisation such a Cancer relief or the British Heart Foundation, you might change your tune.
i have my father-law had bowl cancer and i said i do give loose change when passing,i think every one has known or have someone close to them that has a cancer of some sort
but its a the giving to people that have no running water and stuff, but they still strong enough to have kids
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 02:46 AM   #28
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
i have my father-law had bowl cancer and i said i do give loose change when passing,i think every one has known or have someone close to them that has a cancer of some sort
but its a the giving to people that have no running water and stuff, but they still strong enough to have kids
Agree. I personally don't give to overseas causes, but the major UK charities are high on my list, having seen what they can do first hand.

Hope the father-in law is doing well.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 02:52 AM   #29
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
yes many thanks
caught early had op bag fiited for year then chemo, bag removed,
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 02:56 AM   #30
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
yes many thanks
caught early had op bag fiited for year then chemo, bag removed,
Brilliant
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 03:01 AM   #31
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
I do and am pleased that I can my favourite is Guide dogs for the blind, I sponsor a young male Labrador puppy who is called Angus £10 per month is nothing and makes me feel better.

What I cant do is sponsor all this Foreign Aid shit , the problems are to big with like 10 children in tow , My wife said how well the mother looked holding her emaciated 6 month old child,That was given less than 50% chance off survival .

Children in need , Comic Relife , Walk or life ,Water Aid , Yes I do .
Thats brill mate, sometimes people forget the animals.

Hope you are well!
      08-17-2011, 03:21 AM   #32
Shadow
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90

I participate in Kiva, which is a microloan organisation; you loan in multiples of $25 to people around the world who need finance for things like buying farm animals, stock, repairs etc, and they pay back. There's a small risk of default (though in about 12 loans so far that hasn't happened to me). Each loan you make, you can optionally add on a few dollars to cover Kiva's costs.

So far I've helped people buy pigs in the Phillipines, run a motorcycle repair shop in Vietnam, for water distribution in Kenya, a pharmacy in Nigeria, increase stock in stores from Uganga to Nicaragua to Peru, help construction in Paraguay... I think most people would be able to find some venture they thought deserved a hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 03:30 AM   #33
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I participate in Kiva, which is a microloan organisation; you loan in multiples of $25 to people around the world who need finance for things like buying farm animals, stock, repairs etc, and they pay back. There's a small risk of default (though in about 12 loans so far that hasn't happened to me). Each loan you make, you can optionally add on a few dollars to cover Kiva's costs.

So far I've helped people buy pigs in the Phillipines, run a motorcycle repair shop in Vietnam, for water distribution in Kenya, a pharmacy in Nigeria, increase stock in stores from Uganga to Nicaragua to Peru, help construction in Paraguay... I think most people would be able to find some venture they thought deserved a hand.
Very cool idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #34
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I give a little bit reguarly to a few;
NSPCC, Cancer Research, Help for Heroes and a dog specific one all get £10/month.

I know that a lot of charities only see a percentage of what's donated in terms of real cash, but 50% of something is better than 100% of f*ck all, so I'll always give to the charities that I believe are worthy of being supported.

In addition to those regular charities I tend to sling whatever small change (circa 10p) a transaction yields at the petrol station into whatever pot they have on the desk (more because I hate pockey fulls of change than anything else).

I also try to give up some time for charities; as some will recall (especially those that were kind enough to sponsor me earlier in the year) I try and do at at least one or two things per year for which I will try and raise some money - I've done one run for the BHF and one for Macmillan so far this year and I have a 10 miler in November also.

I tend not to give to beggars, unless they have a starving dog in tow, in which case I'll bung them a couple of quid and tell them to buy the dog some food.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 03:35 AM   #35
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:

That's a smart concept, I've not heard of that before.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #36
NightVisitant
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M-Sport 2011

Personally, I never donate larger amounts to corporate charities, the most they would get from me is loose change. I involve myself in charity through contacts - this is down to how many people you know and their connections abroad.

For example, I gave some money to a friend with very poor relatives from villages in Somalia, and another friend from Sudan. We also have a close family in Morocco who help give money and food to other poor people in their neighbourhood. This is my preferred method of charity, as the money reaches the people directly. My other preferred method is donating to specific large projects, such as building water wells, or pipelines or planting crops and trees - basic infrastructure.

... ultimately however, as somebody mentioned earlier - the corrupt elite have their grasp on commodities and utilities, so whatever money you spend in charity, rest assured it is being channelled in one direction - the wrong direction - and most people will remain imprisoned in poverty because the money will end up in the hands of blood-sucking corporate vampires who will not rotate the money back into the economy towards the people - but will stash it in a bank and claim the interest.

Ignorance of correct economic principles have cost us a very dear price!

For the record, I should point out, whether you look at it religiously or practically, any economy based on interest/usury is doomed from the word go. Believe it or don't believe, if you have half a brain, it's not difficult to figure out why. If you want the proof, look around you. Take it and go.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #37
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

Garage List
Quote:

Yeh me too. started with Kiva on placement year at uni in 2005!
      08-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #38
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Green2 View Post
Thats not charity it robbery charity is helping those in need not helping those that cant be arsed
I'm sure that my brother-in-law who has been made redundant at 48 and has been unemployed for 9 months would find that most amusing!

For the record he once owned a Lotus/Vauxhall/Nissan dealership that went bust because the banks would not extend credit
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #39
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Yes, but i make sure i do it in such a way that gift aid is applied.

Always askthese charitable souls how much they get paid to do what they are doing and how much they get for signing you up (whether doorstep or high street). You'll feel less inclined to sign up when you know the answer, and hopefully by not doing so get rid of them for wasting your time.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #40
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
Yes, but i make sure i do it in such a way that gift aid is applied.

Always askthese charitable souls how much they get paid to do what they are doing and how much they get for signing you up (whether doorstep or high street). You'll feel less inclined to sign up when you know the answer, and hopefully by not doing so get rid of them for wasting your time.
Does anyone know the answer to this??? I mean, someone knocks on my door, I sign-up for £5 p/m - what would the guy/gal get paid for that???
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #41
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Does anyone know the answer to this??? I mean, someone knocks on my door, I sign-up for £5 p/m - what would the guy/gal get paid for that???
http://www.jobsincharity.co.uk/searc...draiser/cat/9/

I did a google, so not definitive...but £9-12 per hour sticks in my throat.
Appreciate 0