E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > First time BMW owners - Are you a fan for life now?

01-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #23
DanielGonz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i 6 speed

My first BMW as well. Love the car for what it is, but it isn't gods gift to mankind like a majority of this forum think it is.

07 AW E92 335 6MT [18" OEM 193's For Sale, PM me]
OEM Aero Lip | OEM Gloss Black Kidney Grills | KW V2 | Vorsteiner CSL trunk | M-Tech Rear Bumper | LCI Rear Taillights | Angel ibright Angel Eyes | 3000K HID fogs | 6000k HID low beams | AFE DCI | Full LED conversion
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #24
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wins76 View Post
try defferent car brand in your lifetime and own it at least 3 years, like:

Audi
MB
Lexus
Ford
GM
Dodge
Saab
Volvo
Subaru
Mitsubishi
VW
Toyota
Honda
Fiat
Mini
Nissan
Infiniti
Acura
Tesla
Alfa Romeo
Porsche
ferrari
Lambo

Don't love a brand too much, you can only live once! try different thing...just saying; so when someone ask you if you have driven this kind of brand you can say "I driven them all & I like this brand ...... the most"
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #25
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

My E92 (August 2012) is my first BMW. I love the way it drives and has been nothing but exceptional for the past 5 months and hoping for many more. I understand that these cars tend to have a lot of problems and require a lot of maintenance here and there, but even with my acuras, and infinitis, I was anal and was always doing preventative maintenance ahead of time anyways so I'm used to it... I am definitely a fan for life, but one thing's for sure, I don't really like telling people I drive a BMW. They automatically think I'm a rich douche bag, asshole, etc. when I'm just a normal car enthusiast who bought a bmw used which is the price of their new acura or infiniti lol call me weird but I kind of hate the generaliztion of all BMW drivers are rich douche bags
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #26
koss2010
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i coupe

For me when buying a car I was looking at 3 things:
-Has to be manual transmission (No lexus or mercedes)
-Has to be 2 door (Acura was out)
-Has to have a nice interior (NO mustangs,cameros)

Plus it needs to be sporty, for me it was a no brainer. I havent owned my car long enough to say one way or another and I have already decided I will only own my car for a max of 3 years and afterwards change it up again.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
Bender
To Start Press Any Key, Where's the Anykey?
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 XDrive MSport

enjoying the bmw experience so far and not against getting another one later on, most likely the 2 series since newer models are getting too big for my liking but i'm not brand loyal to bmw and will consider the competition
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #28
g335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightcashhomie
My E92 (August 2012) is my first BMW. I love the way it drives and has been nothing but exceptional for the past 5 months and hoping for many more. I understand that these cars tend to have a lot of problems and require a lot of maintenance here and there, but even with my acuras, and infinitis, I was anal and was always doing preventative maintenance ahead of time anyways so I'm used to it... I am definitely a fan for life, but one thing's for sure, I don't really like telling people I drive a BMW. They automatically think I'm a rich douche bag, asshole, etc. when I'm just a normal car enthusiast who bought a bmw used which is the price of their new acura or infiniti lol call me weird but I kind of hate the generaliztion of all BMW drivers are rich douche bags
Amen
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
Astephens94
Slightly modified...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.00]
I've owned my car nearly 2 years now. Am I a BMW fan for life?

In a word --> Yes!
      01-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #30
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

I'm 2 years in. Still love my car and have yet to find a different brand that I would consider owning.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #31
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Made the mistake to try a friends E46, had to have one after the eye opening experience.

The BMW are always going to be on the shopping list, somewhere at the top. But I keep my opportunities open, there are other good things around. I see a Porsche in my future, just don't know when yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #32
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

To answer the OP's question, probably yes, fan for life. Liked them before I could drive, once I could, my friend's dad let us drive his various BMWs MBs etc. when we were old enough. I plan on keeping my 335i indefinitely. It has an extended warranty, but say it broke and needed a 5k repair. Does anybody in their right mind think that it's cheaper to get a new BMW when that happens? A new 328i sedan is 47k, and it's 4 cyl. You bet I'd repair a N54.

Will I ever buy another new one? Most likely not. The prices today don't offer any value. And every car has gone downhill as the new model came out, 7, then 5, and now 3. But that would not stop me from being a fan and rooting for them to come out with something better 8 yrs. from now when the next generation is released. If all goes well, I'll still have my 335i and also a new Porsche by then. I'm starting to doubt it will be a Carerra 4S due to the way the economy is going. But I don't see why it couldn't be a Boxster S.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #33
diaz92376
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I always wanted a bmw and after finally being able to afford one i wasn't disappointed. The only thing that threw me off is why after buying a 40k car are floor mats not included and why is a rear folding seat an option? As far as buying another car if I could I would I'm a car guy so i'd like the option of driving something different especially with cheaper cars coming out with nicer cars by the year. But that's only if I owned more then one car I plan to keep this one.

Last edited by diaz92376; 01-10-2013 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #34
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

Owned my e90 for about a year. Yes it drives good. I don't think it's worth the price tag. I hate the sterotype I get owning the bmw. I don't like the overpriced aftermarket and repair taxes.
I had more fun driving a 1994 pontiac firebird, this car isn't my savior.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #35
ozzy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 - 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz92376
I always wanted a bmw and after finally being able to afford one i wasn't disappointed. The only thing that threw me off is why after buying a 40k car are floor mats not included and why is a rear folding seat an option? As far as buying another car if I could I would I'm a car guy so i'd like the option of driving something different especially with cheaper cars coming out with nicer cars by the year. But that's only if I owned more then one car I plan to keep this one.
Agree all the way.

Hard to explain why my back seat doesn't fold and have to jimmy this long whatever inside the car on an angle. BUT when we are on the road, all those thoughts sort of dissappear. The pull, the consistency and the predictability of these cars are quite amazing compared to many mainstream luxury cars on the road today. I don't have the i-drive or techno gadgets in mine. Just an ultimate driving Machine.

I really like what Acura brings to the table (owned couple over the years) but 270-300hp front wheel drive car?? I don't think so. Plus what's up with "rubber" timing belts on those.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #36
Devils Advocate
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Sedan

BMW is an awesome make, both cars and motorcycles(I've seriously considered selling my Daytona 675 for an s1000RR), but as others have said there are a plethora of options. My next cars on my step up the ladder of my dream list will be a 911 turbo and an m5, though those are likely years and years in the future for me. I've driven both extensively, and for what I want out of my car(RWD, entry level luxury sedan), BMW fits the bill perfect for the moment. I had an 09 Audi a4 before this, and was beyond disappointed. RWD or bust.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #37
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
I love my BMW, but I don't necessarily think that BMW is the end all and be all of cars. It met my needs for what I was looking for this time - RWD, manual transmission, station wagon. Of course, being there are exactly TWO cars on the US market that meet those criteria it was not that much of a decision! But fundamentally the e91 hits a lot of buttons for me - it is very much driver focused, the interior has enough modern conveniences without looking like Tokyo by night, and IMHO the price is quite reasonable for the build quality and engineering on offer.

That said, given that I have discovered I like having a big fat SUV as a second car, next time I think that I may well buy a coupe. Still don't see anything out there that interest me more than the 3-series (soon to be 4-series) though. You can't get a MB with a stick, I don't have any use for AWD in a car, and I have yet to see a Japanese interior I wanted to spend more than 15 minutes in.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #38
Malibu1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Charger HC, Backdraft Cobra

E90 is my last BMW. Going back to Ford.
      01-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #39
F36_CB1K
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36

Nice thread.

I got an E92 and a co-worker got an E90, both 328s, in June-July 2011. I'd moved from an 08 accord v6 coupe and he from an 05 e46 325.

Initial impressions: The very first test drive was enough to get me to bite the bait but my co-worker didn't appreciate the direction taken by BMW with the E90. The sports suspension in the E92 along with the more than enough damping provided by 45 profile 17" tires provide a ride and handling combo I have yet to experience in any other car. The biggest gripe about the E90 was the wallowy ride and ugly arse standard steering wheel.

1-1/2 years in: I'm definitely not a fan for life but would consider a sportier BMW when my lease is up in 2014. The key deciding factor will be the hit on my pocket for a configuration I get to put together v/s the off-the-lot lease option I took for the current coupe. The purist feel may be gone for my co-worker but he has already suggested that he can't (in his mind only) downgrade to any other brand/model.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #40
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Order mine new 4 years ago. Still not bored with it, and I usually buy a new car every 3 years. My next car will be a BMW..

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #41
Revision2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: JB 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
OP it all depends on what your criteria is for a car. It's easy to say x brand has a nicer interior y brand has cooler headlights etc.... And obviously automakers have to pick and choose where to spend the money in building a car I.e. save money on the engine but then spiff up the interior.

What I've found is BMW sets the bar for the best all around vehicle. No other car can say they've been on the top ten car and driver list for 22 years straight. My e90 is very fast safe reliable and comfortable. It's a car I can be proud to drop off with Valet and still have fun the next day at the track. It's a car that makes others jealous and yet still makes the wife feel safe.
I agree that personal requirements do dictate why people pick one brand over another and it is definitely a very good all round vehicle (one reason why I gave it a try). It's obvious most of us on here got BMWs for the reputation of good driving cars but I guess my point is that being in the premium segment of the market, where margins are typically higher, you'd think that perhaps they can afford to allocate just a bit more funds to the interior / reliability aspects to give buyers a slightly better sense of value and justification for the premium. Yes, probably a bit naive in thinking but it seems like their German competitors are starting to do just that, allocating funds to where they were a bit lacking to vault them ahead (especially Audi).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardio View Post
I can never understand the complaints on the BMW interiors, simple and classy in my opinion. Its supposed to be a drivers car, right?
Yes, I agree, it is supposed to be a driver's car but my point about the interior is that they sell in the luxury market and with that people generally expect a bit more from it to justify the premium and make them feel like they own something special. Not saying my e90's interior is bad, just doesn't give the same sense of premium compared to some competitors. There are plenty of non-luxury options out there that are generally accepted as driver's cars as well but people get BMWs because they want a bit of luxury with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightcashhomie View Post
I am definitely a fan for life, but one thing's for sure, I don't really like telling people I drive a BMW. They automatically think I'm a rich douche bag, asshole, etc. when I'm just a normal car enthusiast who bought a bmw used which is the price of their new acura or infiniti lol call me weird but I kind of hate the generaliztion of all BMW drivers are rich douche bags
Amen to that! I got mine because I like cars and wanted to see why people love driving BMWs now that I could afford one. I hate the look / tone that I get sometimes when people ask me what I drive. It's like I'm automatically a snob who thinks I'm better than everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz92376 View Post
The only thing that threw me off is why after buying a 40k car are floor mats not included and why is a rear folding seat an option?
That's kind of the point I was trying to make by saying that perhaps they might be depending too much on their reputation for great driving cars and brand appeal to sell cars. My friends were shocked to find that the alarm system wasn't standard when more economical cars even have that as standard. They may have been able to get away with that in the past but based on recent news and reviews about competing products it seems that the gap is closing quickly and hopefully they don't rest on their laurels like other big market leaders have done in other industries just to have the competition make them obsolete.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #42
AbsolutTiger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i e90

I've had mine a year. I wouldn't say I'm strictly BMW for life, but I'm having trouble thinking I would replace it with something other than another BMW.

2008 328i e90 Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #43
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I have two BMWs at the moment and no loyalty to the brand (or any other) whatsoever.

I will always evaluate the market and make my choice by what I think fits my needs the best at that time.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #44
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I was more a fan of the e46

I was more a fan of the e46
I think they have kind of gone off the path on some things
At least the path that made me think they were special in the first
place.
Solid design , Driver oriented