E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Polarized Glasses Radio Display Fix

09-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #67
fw_fw
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 xDrive30i xLine Phytonic

Thumbs up New solution found for the Radio Polarization problem!!

Resurrecting this DIY thread, as I used it to solve the Radio LCD polarization problem on my 2011 328i. Found this thread, and ordered the plastic from the 3dLens website. They came thru quickly, had the stuff in a week. Cut it and applied it, and it worked....however the tinting of the plastic dimmed the display too much for my liking.

So came back and reread this thread, and saw where someone used a regular piece of overhead film with the same results. As overhead film has gone the way of dinosaurs and is getting to be hard to find and expensive, I needed an alternative. That gave me the idea to try some anti-glare screen protector I had from an old cellphone as a test. Sure enough, it worked perfectly, and without the dimming as the plastic film was perfectly clear!!

As the cellphone piece was too small to cover the whole 6-1/8" by 5/8" display I needed to get a larger piece of film. So I went on eBay and ordered a piece of anti-glare screen protector for a laptop for $5.95. Here is what I ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200774580846...84.m1497.l2649

It came in today, cut the appropriate size piece and problem solved!!!! This film has a slightly adhesive side that makes it removable yet keeps it in place perfectly. Best part about this stuff is that the polarization effect it TOTALLY eliminated, no matter how you turn your head!! I'm going to be cutting a small piece for the AC/Heat Control display as it also polarizes, but 90 degrees out of phase with the Radio control, making it not as noticeable as the radio.

Hope this helps someone else!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #68
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
Resurrecting this DIY thread, as I used it to solve the Radio LCD polarization problem on my 2011 328i. Found this thread, and ordered the plastic from the 3dLens website. They came thru quickly, had the stuff in a week. Cut it and applied it, and it worked....however the tinting of the plastic dimmed the display too much for my liking.

So came back and reread this thread, and saw where someone used a regular piece of overhead film with the same results. As overhead film has gone the way of dinosaurs and is getting to be hard to find and expensive, I needed an alternative. That gave me the idea to try some anti-glare screen protector I had from an old cellphone as a test. Sure enough, it worked perfectly, and without the dimming as the plastic film was perfectly clear!!

As the cellphone piece was too small to cover the whole 6-1/8" by 5/8" display I needed to get a larger piece of film. So I went on eBay and ordered a piece of anti-glare screen protector for a laptop for $5.95. Here is what I ordered:

It came in today, cut the appropriate size piece and problem solved!!!! This film has a slightly adhesive side that makes it removable yet keeps it in place perfectly. Best part about this stuff is that the polarization effect it TOTALLY eliminated, no matter how you turn your head!! I'm going to be cutting a small piece for the AC/Heat Control display as it also polarizes, but 90 degrees out of phase with the Radio control, making it not as noticeable as the radio.

thanks for this update...I am going to order this as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #69
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:

Excellent. I have the same problem too during the day. That polarization plastic removes that antiglare coating and even if I could see the display with my polarized sunglasses, most of the time I still cant see it because of the reflection off the sun on my saddle brown passenger seat. I will try this too.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #70
s!ke
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 6MT

Garage List
That product has been discontinued. Can we use this one now?

Or do you have a link to another one?

http://www.3dlens.com/shop/polarizer-210x300mm.php

or

http://www.3dlens.com/shop/polarizer...h-adhesive.php

/// 2008 e92 335i 6sp JB/CR | COBB AP | AR DP's | AFE DCI | FMIC | BMS Cowl Filters | Stett CP | Forge DV's | Sig photo by jMeas!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #71
fw_fw
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 xDrive30i xLine Phytonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by s!ke View Post
That product has been discontinued. Can we use this one now?

Or do you have a link to another one?

http://www.3dlens.com/shop/polarizer-210x300mm.php

or

http://www.3dlens.com/shop/polarizer...h-adhesive.php

Read my post above from 9/14: you do not have to buy or want to buy the polarizer from 3DLens. While it does work, it is very costly and dramatically dims the display. A piece of clear anti-glare film for laptop screens works just as well and does not dim the display.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #72
-null
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M Sport / E46 325Ci

Quote:
Read my post above from 9/14: you do not have to buy or want to buy the polarizer from 3DLens. While it does work, it is very costly and dramatically dims the display. A piece of clear anti-glare film for laptop screens works just as well and does not dim the display.
Wish I had seen this before ordering. I got the 3DLens one in today and installed it and it looked like crap because of how dim it made the screen. I'm going to try one of those LCD anti-glare films now.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #73
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i E92 Coupé

Why did BMW do this too us? Do they not wear sunglasses in Germany?
Appreciate 0