E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Way to test injectors?

06-16-2018, 03:39 AM   #1
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Way to test injectors?

I am pretty sure some of my injectors may be bad because of the symptoms my car is having but I want to be certain before I go and spend $1k on new injectors. I already tried the test to pull out injectors and crank the engine and see if any them spray and none of them sprayed which led me to believe that they are ok. However, many of my cars symptoms seem to be pointing to bad injectors. So is it perhaps this test is not 100% accurate all the time, or maybe I didn't crank the car enough to see if they would eventually start spraying? Is there another test I could do to experiment with this?

My injectors are original in my 2009 and they are index 5. My car has a rough idle when first started that sounds like a slight misfire but no misfire codes and the idle will hunt a little bit on startup. Also during deceleration my AFR will not stay constant at 234 it will sometimes get there and then fluctuate or sometimes not get to 234 at all and maybe hover a bit below 234.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolsilver View Post
I am pretty sure some of my injectors may be bad because of the symptoms my car is having but I want to be certain before I go and spend $1k on new injectors. I already tried the test to pull out injectors and crank the engine and see if any them spray and none of them sprayed which led me to believe that they are ok. However, many of my cars symptoms seem to be pointing to bad injectors. So is it perhaps this test is not 100% accurate all the time, or maybe I didn't crank the car enough to see if they would eventually start spraying? Is there another test I could do to experiment with this?

My injectors are original in my 2009 and they are index 5. My car has a rough idle when first started that sounds like a slight misfire but no misfire codes and the idle will hunt a little bit on startup. Also during deceleration my AFR will not stay constant at 234 it will sometimes get there and then fluctuate or sometimes not get to 234 at all and maybe hover a bit below 234.
If you have a bad injector, you will get a code.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 12:35 AM   #3
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:

Which bank fluctuates? That will typically be the one with the bad injector.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 01:50 AM   #4
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep

Bank 2 is the one that fluctuates but doing the test I talked about above showed no leaking/spraying. Paying extra attention today I noticed every time I started my car it idled rough for about 30sec-1min and that was after my car was parked for about 4 hours each time.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

Injectors can absolutely leak and act up without throwing any codes. They only throw codes if they die completely.
I had an index 5 and index 9 leaking when I pressurized the rail with the injectors outside the engine.
I would want to look at the smooth running values and injector values in INPA
Appreciate 3
      06-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #6
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: From the passenger seat

Quote:
Bank 2 is the one that fluctuates but doing the test I talked about above showed no leaking/spraying. Paying extra attention today I noticed every time I started my car it idled rough for about 30sec-1min and that was after my car was parked for about 4 hours each time.
Rough idle after sitting like that were my symptoms for leaking injectors and I never threw any codes. You can also let the car sit over night and than pull your plugs and check for gas on them(which is why it could be running a bit rough after sitting). I definitely recommend replacing them also for the fact you are running index 5.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White330 View Post
Rough idle after sitting like that were my symptoms for leaking injectors and I never threw any codes. You can also let the car sit over night and than pull your plugs and check for gas on them(which is why it could be running a bit rough after sitting). I definitely recommend replacing them also for the fact you are running index 5.
I actually did that today. This morning after letting the car sit overnight I pulled all my plugs they all looked ok except cylinder 4 smelled pretty strong like gas but had no visible wetness on it. I then put them all back in and disconnected all electrical from the injectors and coil packs and cranked the car several times to pressurize the fuel more. I then took cylinder 4 out again and again didn't see any visible wetness but it did have a strong fuel smell.

At this point seeing the AFR fluctuate in bank 2 and finding cylinder 4 with the smell is almost conclusive but it bugs me that I can't actually see any fuel on the plug and doing the test when pulling out the injectors showed no fuel. I agree replacing injectors would probably be good considering they are index 5 anyways but money is tight right now so $1k is hard to swallow if not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually did that today. This morning after letting the car sit overnight I pulled all my plugs they all looked ok except cylinder 4 smelled pretty strong like gas but had no visible wetness on it. I then put them all back in and disconnected all electrical from the injectors and coil packs and cranked the car several times to pressurize the fuel more. I then took cylinder 4 out again and again didn't see any visible wetness but it did have a strong fuel smell.

At this point seeing the AFR fluctuate in bank 2 and finding cylinder 4 with the smell is almost conclusive but it bugs me that I can't actually see any fuel on the plug and doing the test when pulling out the injectors showed no fuel. I agree replacing injectors would probably be good considering they are index 5 anyways but money is tight right now so $1k is hard to swallow if not necessary.
Yeah I agree. I only like to replace more expensive things when necessary. I like in the Sacramento area and i've recently replaced my injectors. Ill see if I have any that are close to index 5 and you can have them if you'd like. I had 1 leaking but just ended up replacing them all because of all the horror stories i've heard about them leaking.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:13 AM   #9
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I agree. I only like to replace more expensive things when necessary. I like in the Sacramento area and i've recently replaced my injectors. Ill see if I have any that are close to index 5 and you can have them if you'd like. I had 1 leaking but just ended up replacing them all because of all the horror stories i've heard about them leaking.
That would be great! I could use one to verify if it is in fact leaking. I think if I could just prove to myself that one was definitely leaking I would do the same and replace them all to be safe
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #10
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That would be great! I could use one to verify if it is in fact leaking. I think if I could just prove to myself that one was definitely leaking I would do the same and replace them all to be safe
I’ll check them today after work and I’ll let you know! Also do you have a way to code them? If not I’ve got a schwaben tool lying around here somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
If you have a bad injector, you will get a code.
Couldn't be farther from the truth.
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2018, 10:49 PM   #12
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I’ll check them today after work and I’ll let you know! Also do you have a way to code them? If not I’ve got a schwaben tool lying around here somewhere.
Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it! I do have INPA on my computer which I believe works for coding the injectors.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #13
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No problem! So I checked mine and sadly mine are all index 8 and 9. But my buddy swapped his out as well and said he will check to see if he's got anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 01:21 AM   #14
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No problem! So I checked mine and sadly mine are all index 8 and 9. But my buddy swapped his out as well and said he will check to see if he's got anything.
I really appreciate you checking for me, hopefully the one your buddy has will work.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #15
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I really appreciate you checking for me, hopefully the one your buddy has will work.
So I Just checked his, and they are all Index 8 except for one which is Index 4.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 12:38 AM   #16
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So I Just checked his, and they are all Index 8 except for one which is Index 4.
If it wouldn't be too much trouble it would be great if I could get the index 4, that way I could swap it in and hopefully that will tell me for sure if mine is bad or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 01:49 AM   #17
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I’d be more than happy to give you the injector. If you like you can take one of the index 8 just in case. Message me when you would like to meet up
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #18
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Couldn't be farther from the truth.
Is there any further insight on how to test the injectors? My car has a stumbling idle on cold starts (6+ hours) that goes away after 5-10 seconds. I have index 1 so i'm feeling it might be the injectors but I don't want to spend $1200 on injectors if that's not the issue. I let the car sit for 2 days and then pulled the plugs and they were all dry, didn't look fouled, and none smelled like gas.

The stumbling seems to be getting progressively worse in the rpm variation, but seems to clear up in 5-10 seconds no matter what. I'm not getting any codes related to injectors...but I did get a 2A17: DMTL System Fault...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #19
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Is there any further insight on how to test the injectors? My car has a stumbling idle on cold starts (6+ hours) that goes away after 5-10 seconds. I have index 1 so i'm feeling it might be the injectors but I don't want to spend $1200 on injectors if that's not the issue. I let the car sit for 2 days and then pulled the plugs and they were all dry, didn't look fouled, and none smelled like gas.

The stumbling seems to be getting progressively worse in the rpm variation, but seems to clear up in 5-10 seconds no matter what. I'm not getting any codes related to injectors...but I did get a 2A17: DMTL System Fault...
Well... it's not like the dripping injector is dropping right onto the plug. It would be down on the cylinder head, leaking past the rings, etc.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      08-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #20
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post

Could be your spark plugs as well. I have two index #1 in perfectly good order with new Teflon seals if you need replacement. But look unto the spark plugs first.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #21
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
To tell if you have a leaking injector at your oil change get it sent out to black stone. It should show up. Wont narrow it down but will prepare you. I have all index 1 injectors so ow well. Maybe buy some fuel injector cleaner .
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #22
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
This will show if there’s gasoline in the oil?

Also...to couch this a different way...what else might the be? I have 90k miles...new plugs and coils...new pcv...not throwing any codes...the fuel pumps are original but they looked okay last time I logged and the WOT pulls felt strong before the boost leak i’m also trouble shooting showed up...

Last edited by Bimmer_Engineer; 08-21-2018 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0