E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > I have a 2006 BMW 325i... Looking for best HID/AE retro kit option

12-29-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
vomheimlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i SEDAN AUTO

I have a 2006 BMW 325i... Looking for best HID/AE retro kit option

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and need some help. I have a 2006 BMW 325i with iDrive, and I was hoping to upgrade the headlamps and fog lights. The car currently has the stock halogen setup. I am wondering if it is possible to upgrade to a HID Bi-Xenon setup with Angel eyes... preferably with chrome housing and clear side markers. This car seems fickle though, as it doesn't seem to like the red/clear taillight kit I bought recently - it flickers sometimes and often sets off an error code a startup but goes away shortly thereafter. Please post your recommendations or solutions.

Thanks

Last edited by vomheimlin; 10-09-2015 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
_shim
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: an e90

Get a set of the Depo projectors from Umnitza with the FX-R projector retrofit, then install a set of HIDs (talk to Jeff@topgearsolutions too see if there are any error free solutions for you).

But before you do anything, I'd wait for rollinstone157 to chime in. Dude knows his stuff
      12-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Your best option would be to get custom lights made for your vehicle... OSSdesigns and Umnitza are the top two names out so far. OSS is fully booked on making headlights for the next month(s) or so, so Umnitza may have what you want.
A chrome housing is hard to come by actually, usually stock is flat black so to make it reflective would mean a different material all together. You may have to purchase a set of lights off ebay that you like and get Umnitza to modify them to your specifications.

The flickering you're seeing on the tail lights are probably from LED lights in the rear without a ballast. The reason this is because LEDs pull less current to run bright... your car's computer still thinks there's filament bulbs back there that aren't pulling enough current... it flickers because of the bulb check the car does when you start it up. You can do one of two things about this: you can get a ballast to correct this (search around on the forums for fixes) or you can code it out (check in the coding section of the forums for details) so you don't do the bulb check at all; if you do the latter, you will not know when a bulb is out from then on, you'll have to regularly check like the old days.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shim! View Post
Get a set of the Depo projectors from Umnitza with the FX-R projector retrofit, then install a set of HIDs (talk to Jeff@topgearsolutions too see if there are any error free solutions for you).

But before you do anything, I'd wait for rollinstone157 to chime in. Dude knows his stuff
Haha I'm on the beach right now, later tonight I'll give my speech, thanks for the recommendation
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
vomheimlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i SEDAN AUTO

I've been exchanging PMs with rollingstone157. I think I'm gonna roll with his suggestions as soon I can get the scratch together. I post an update and let everyone know how it all went when I get done.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
srohang1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomheimlin View Post
I've been exchanging PMs with rollingstone157. I think I'm gonna roll with his suggestions as soon I can get the scratch together. I post an update and let everyone know how it all went when I get done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Haha I'm on the beach right now, later tonight I'll give my speech, thanks for the recommendation
Hey fellas! I'd love to hear the suggestions. I need to upgrade my bimmer headlights from halogens! Thanks in advanced and Happy New Years!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
_shim
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: an e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by srohang1 View Post
Hey fellas! I'd love to hear the suggestions. I need to upgrade my bimmer headlights from halogens! Thanks in advanced and Happy New Years!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157
You're going to want to get some DEPO headlights. There are several vendors that sell them. If you want the best quality, and are willing to pay up a little bit, get them from Umnitza with the FX-R projector retrofit. More expensive, but the stock DEPO projectors are pretty shitty. If you don't want to pay that much, then get the fishcake DEPOs from ebay. Around 600, full LED angel eyes and LED turn signals. However, if you want to put an HID bulb in there, you will have errors. 06 cars are extremely picky. However, getting them coded out isn't terribly difficult.
      01-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by srohang1 View Post
Thanks Shim! That's a very condensed summary of what needs to be done. Srohang1, if you want help/more info/have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW e90

I have a set for sale; http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629135

you can easily paint the reflector.
Appreciate 0