E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Datalogging With Cobb

03-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #67
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Thanks for checking out my log. I am considering upgrading the IC, even know that is not my current problem. I sure the first pull when it is freezing outside does not experience heat soak. I see a lot of discussion about different brand DP's, but I really don't know what makes it better. Is there some kind of resonator or other restriction in the stock DP's? I'm not looking for maximum gains out of this engine; I just don't like it falling flat at 6k rpm. Would an IC and DP's be the magic cure that will produce an even pull to redline?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #68
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonecure View Post
I have the Cobb Stg 1 Aggressive on 93 octane pump gas. The car pulls strong, but seems to get out of breath at higher rpm's. I installed new BMS DCS intake, but it didn't make a difference. I collected some data logs from the Cobb, but I really don't know what I'm looking at. Can someone please tell me if they look normal or if something is wrong?
If you think power is falling off a cliff now, just wait for summer when your charge temps really get up there. With the OE intercooler the car is basically finished after one or two gear pulls, your power truly is falling off a cliff. Part of that is what Aenema noted, the stock turbos that just can't flow much up top, the other part (and more important part since it can be easily combated) being the extremely restrictive stock FMIC. Replace it with a good 5 or 7" core, run the Stg1+ mapping, enjoy. After a tune it's the best bolt on mod you can do for an N54, IMO.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #69
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

The stock DPs have cats in them and are relatively small/constrictive.

As far as aftermarket DPs go, price and fitment are really the only concerns. Any of the namebrand DPs will work fine: AA, AR, MS, VRSF etc...

ICs are a little more complicated. People can(and will) argue intercoolers all day, but honestly they all perform well. Pick whichever one fits into your budget the best.

They will both help the "fall off" immensely, unfortunately to fully eliminate that feeling you may need to look into a protune or e-tune. It's a common request that i've seen where people are willing to give up a little torque in the mids to pick up more power up top.
      03-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #70
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

could someone please list all the parameters to log with COBB AP for proper troubleshooting, tuning, etc since there is a maximum allowable channels?

i was trying to follow the parameters on COBB e30 guide and http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=792736&page=2
but seem to reach the limit, please help.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #71
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko View Post
could someone please list all the parameters to log with COBB AP for proper troubleshooting, tuning, etc since there is a maximum allowable channels?

i was trying to follow the parameters on COBB e30 guide and http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=792736&page=2
Depending on what you're looking for, there could be a few other channels worth logging, but the main ones I look at are: AFRs, Req. boost vs. actual boost, WGDC, fuel trims, timing, timing corrections, charge temp, throttle position, load, and revs. That should cover a "standard" datalog, and inform you of any clear issues you may be having. I'm just recalling this off the top of my head, so it's possible i'm leaving something obvious out.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #72
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko View Post

What are you troubleshooting?
      03-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #73
Aced16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

1st logs with Cobb!

Hey guys,
Just recently picked up my Cobb and am really enjoying it. Car is just BMS DCI and Cobb St1 Aggressive on 93. Let me know what you guys think, as there are times the car just starts to go and picks up a little, then half way through the powerband kicks it up again. Thanks!

PS - I also did a pull in both 3rd, then did a 4th gear pull to compare.

3rd Gear.zip
4th Gear.zip
      03-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #74
dallas_jeff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Logs seem to look fine, but it would help a lot to get an intercooler. Your charge temps increase rapidly .. especially in the 4th gear pull.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #75
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aced16 View Post
Hey guys,
Just recently picked up my Cobb and am really enjoying it. Car is just BMS DCI and Cobb St1 Aggressive on 93. Let me know what you guys think, as there are times the car just starts to go and picks up a little, then half way through the powerband kicks it up again. Thanks!

PS - I also did a pull in both 3rd, then did a 4th gear pull to compare.
Your logs are pretty clean. You had some minor corrections in the 4th gear pull but nothing serious. Also, the stock IC is really getting it's ass handed to it. Not sure what ambinet temps are in Florida but CATs were approaching 130F FAST. Those kind of temps will kill your timing.
      03-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #76
Aced16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Your logs are pretty clean. You had some minor corrections in the 4th gear pull but nothing serious. Also, the stock IC is really getting it's ass handed to it. Not sure what ambinet temps are in Florida but CATs were approaching 130F FAST. Those kind of temps will kill your timing.
Thanks Enema! Yea it was in the 50's today, but that just proves how much i need a new FMIC Now just to decide which will provide the best IAT reduction with the least amount of Pressure drop and trimming.
      03-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #77
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

boost overshoots and want to make sure timing is good.

really wanted a universal list for sanity check

is ther eone?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #78
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Just use the default logging list. For boost overshoots add "MAF requested(WGDC)" and "Boost stepoint factor."
      03-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #79
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

cool, is it easy to add timing to the stock s2+fmic map in atr?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #80
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Yes... and no.

It's easy to add timing into the timing main table and increase timing targets, whether it's easy to add timing and the car actually like it on 93(or even worse 91) octane is another story. The two main power makers are timing and boost, some cars respond better to boost and some respond better to timing.

Of coarse, if you're runing e85 or meth that makes it a lot easier to make really appreciable power gains.

If you need any help please feel free to PM me, I'm by means an expert but i can help to get you started.
      03-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #81
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Bump for a great job.
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #82
cbeers
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i xDrive

Hey guys, was curious if I might be able to get some eyes on some logs I did. I'm still really new to reading the logged information, but I feel like something might be up with some of the values I've been logging.

Initially, I went with the Stage 1 Aggressive map, but under acceleration in 5th and 6th gear I was getting a lot of chugging and jerky acceleration. Thinking it may have been the map, I went down to the Stage 1 Sport map this evening. The chugging and jerky acceleration seems to be gone or less noticeable in the higher gears now, but I'm still feel like some logged data is odd.

Acceleration in general feels a bit spotty with both maps though. Sometimes it's very smooth and other times it feels like its chugging and cutting out.

All logs were 3rd gear pulls up into about mid 4th gear using 93 octane gas. DTC was turned off as well.

If what I've been reading is right, my AFR is spiking extremely high (~230's) during peak revs and ever after I let off the gas and begin coasting.

I've attached 3 datalogs. Two from this evening labeled 032513 done using the Stage1 Sports map and another log from 032313 which was done using the Stage 1 Aggressive map.

I'd really appreciate a quick look if anyone could spare some time. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cbeers_datalogs.zip (52.3 KB, 85 views)
      03-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #83
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeers View Post
Hey guys, was curious if I might be able to get some eyes on some logs I did. I'm still really new to reading the logged information, but I feel like something might be up with some of the values I've been logging.

Initially, I went with the Stage 1 Aggressive map, but under acceleration in 5th and 6th gear I was getting a lot of chugging and jerky acceleration. Thinking it may have been the map, I went down to the Stage 1 Sport map this evening. The chugging and jerky acceleration seems to be gone or less noticeable in the higher gears now, but I'm still feel like some logged data is odd.

Acceleration in general feels a bit spotty with both maps though. Sometimes it's very smooth and other times it feels like its chugging and cutting out.

All logs were 3rd gear pulls up into about mid 4th gear using 93 octane gas. DTC was turned off as well.

If what I've been reading is right, my AFR is spiking extremely high (~230's) during peak revs and ever after I let off the gas and begin coasting.

I've attached 3 datalogs. Two from this evening labeled 032513 done using the Stage1 Sports map and another log from 032313 which was done using the Stage 1 Aggressive map.

I'd really appreciate a quick look if anyone could spare some time. Thanks.
Your logs look Ok.

Your having some minor timing corrections but nothing to be concerned about. Mostly the corrections are when the load/boost is ramping up or during a shift.

AFRs are good, it's completely normal to see the AFRs lean out when coasting back down(even moreso with our DI setup.)

The Aggressive log did have a rather severe throttle closure that can definitely cause a "hesitation" feel. You can take care of that using ATR if you're willing to spend a little time working on it.
      04-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #84
R.G.
Captain
Rep
Drives: Isetta

Appreciate any feedback if I can get some guys

Something is off in the way cars been running lately. During a cobb flash recently I got a fuel pump warning post flash that lasted for about 3 seconds then went away. Car is giving me a p29E1 mixture code that I can clear but then comes back after a short drive. Ready to install my downpipes but dont want to if my fuel pump is on the way out. Newb at logging but heres a quick 3rd gear pull I did. Hopefully sufficient to tell if anything looks funny to you guys with experience.
Cobb stage 1+ Drive ST 91 octane with about 4 gallons 100 octane
Dinan axle back, dinan intercooler, dinan intake, high flow secondary cats and stock downpipes with this pull

Thanks in advance guys

Edit: Trying to make sense of it and understand how to read these. Is something off with my AFR? Possibley causing the mixture code. Or is it more likely the secondary cat replacement causing the code?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf DATALOG.4.19.pdf (81.2 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by R.G.; 04-19-2013 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #85
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G. View Post
Appreciate any feedback if I can get some guys

Something is off in the way cars been running lately. During a cobb flash recently I got a fuel pump warning post flash that lasted for about 3 seconds then went away. Car is giving me a p29E1 mixture code that I can clear but then comes back after a short drive. Ready to install my downpipes but dont want to if my fuel pump is on the way out. Newb at logging but heres a quick 3rd gear pull I did. Hopefully sufficient to tell if anything looks funny to you guys with experience.
Cobb stage 1+ Drive ST 91 octane with about 4 gallons 100 octane
Dinan axle back, dinan intercooler, dinan intake, high flow secondary cats and stock downpipes with this pull

Thanks in advance guys

Edit: Trying to make sense of it and understand how to read these. Is something off with my AFR? Possibley causing the mixture code. Or is it more likely the secondary cat replacement causing the code?

your logs are mostly fine. I am surprised you get timing correction on the "drive" map when you have 4 gallons of 100 in the tank. Either the 91 is super shitty, or you need new plugs/coils may be.

You also have some slight throttle closures because you are overshooting the requesting load, not a huge deal in your case but you can easily fix that in ATR.

AFRs look fine...

I have not gotten that code before so I don't know what teh causes are in general. You can always log the requested HPFP and actual and compare to see whether the HPFP is falling short or not...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #86
R.G.
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
your logs are mostly fine. I am surprised you get timing correction on the "drive" map when you have 4 gallons of 100 in the tank. Either the 91 is super shitty, or you need new plugs/coils may be.

You also have some slight throttle closures because you are overshooting the requesting load, not a huge deal in your case but you can easily fix that in ATR.

AFRs look fine...

I have not gotten that code before so I don't know what teh causes are in general. You can always log the requested HPFP and actual and compare to see whether the HPFP is falling short or not...

Thanks for taking a look Marv!
I added the 100 octane a few days ago after noticing the timing corrections and it did absolutely nothing to resolve them. Going to try 2-3 gallons of e85 later today and see that helps. Again, thank you

I found this on the cobb site. Im sure it has something to do with the cats. Will have it checked out during downpipe install

29E1 - Fuel mixture control 2 Typically caused by the wrong O2 sensors in the wrong downpipe or a major exhaust leak. Grey wire loom goes to the back pipe, black wire loom goes to the front pipe.
      04-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #87
R.G.
Captain
Rep

Quote:
or you need new plugs/coils may be.
Plugs have less than 1k on them, possible its the coils

Quote:
No idea how to do that lol

Quote:
You can always log the requested HPFP and actual and compare to see whether the HPFP is falling short or not...
WOW. Did not know that going to check that out with next log. Awesome, thanks
      04-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #88
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Glad I could help
Appreciate 0