E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Sales Reps of Tischer / BMW of Silver Spring Review Help

07-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #23
NU//bmw
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayd11 View Post
I bought an 08 Mini in '08, an early trade in at Mercedes. I picked the guy who was a die hard Merc fan. He had no idea... nothing about the car he was selling and it was easy to take advantage of his lack of knowledge when negotiating. I trimmed 3k off market value as he did not understand how to identify packages included on the car.
Did the same thing when I bought my e90 from an Infiniti dealer. The salesman wasn't too familiar with the package abbreviations. Managed to knock another 2.5k off an already discounted price (end of the month).

This might be obvious, but sometimes the best deals aren't necessarily at a BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #24
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
I also try and think of the seller in your case. You have an 85k car. people looking for a car will most likely put in a search result of "50-100k" or "up to 100k." This means your car is competing with those on the market. Clear Book has a 99k car trade in value of about 17.4k.

These numbers are stil very bullish and you may have to come down, but a quick look on auto trader has every 335i listed above 20k.

When I traded one car in, I went 750 under Clear Book, but used that difference for the dealer to thrown in delivery (a 4 hour drive) and new tires all around.
makes 0 sense for me to really think of the seller especially since hes making money off of me on the car im purchasing.
he offered me THOUSANDS less than clearbook. not a few hundred. ive seen 335s going for at least 20k with the higher mileage ones listed for about 23k and the lower ones going for 27K.

why would i take 12 - 13500 when i know the car sells for much more?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #25
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj505 View Post
makes 0 sense for me to really think of the seller especially since hes making money off of me on the car im purchasing.
he offered me THOUSANDS less than clearbook. not a few hundred. ive seen 335s going for at least 20k with the higher mileage ones listed for about 23k and the lower ones going for 27K.

why would i take 12 - 13500 when i know the car sells for much more?
I just did a pull from the main online car sales here and haven't seen one 07 335i SEDAN with over 50k going for 27... only convertibles.

The high mark sedan for my area (25 miles around DC) is 24k. Yes there is one private seller listing at 28k, but I don't think anyone is going to call him for that one.

As for what I said about thinking of the seller, you spelled it out but disagree for some reason. These folks are here to make a living... and afford their own bimmers. They are not going to be able to do that by buying your car for 500 under the sale market, sell you a another car for 500 hundred over what they paid and still pay for the lot, sales team, service team, and all the other fees it takes to run a business. If you are buying new, they can offer you more on your trade (unless you have haggled out every other option you could) but for a low priced online used car, they have little room to gift you on your trade.

If you want high profit/sales margins... try selling and buying privately.

Just expect A LOT of pain in the ass procedures you never realized a dealer took care of.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #26
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just did a pull from the main online car sales here and haven't seen one 07 335i SEDAN with over 50k going for 27... only convertibles.

The high mark sedan for my area (25 miles around DC) is 24k. Yes there is one private seller listing at 28k, but I don't think anyone is going to call him for that one.

As for what I said about thinking of the seller, you spelled it out but disagree for some reason. These folks are here to make a living... and afford their own bimmers. They are not going to be able to do that by buying your car for 500 under the sale market, sell you a another car for 500 hundred over what they paid and still pay for the lot, sales team, service team, and all the other fees it takes to run a business. If you are buying new, they can offer you more on your trade (unless you have haggled out every other option you could) but for a low priced online used car, they have little room to gift you on your trade.

If you want high profit/sales margins... try selling and buying privately.

Just expect A LOT of pain in the ass procedures you never realized a dealer took care of.
Um, i stated that higher mileage 335s are going for the lower 20s so im not sure what your point in stating that you havent found any going for 27K.

and im still not sure how i spelled it out yet disagreed on the seller part. your just telling me that if i go to a dealer, be prepared to get ass raped on the trade in value on my car because the dealer wont give me kbb, nada, or clearbook trade in value. they are going to give me THOUSANDS less than that. makes no sense and ive traded cars before without that bs.
i clearly know the difference between trade in value and suggested retail.

i think you got lost in the numbers because you clearly are not differentiating between trade in value and suggested retail.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #27
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

you won't get any where near KBB, NADA, etc at a dealer for trade, it just won't happen unless they are making up the difference somewhere else (like on the sale of a car you're buying). I've bought/sold cars via private sale many times and I can fully understand why dealers gives nothing on trade (the headache of dealing with the MVA is worth a few thouands IMO).

if you want to get anything close to KBB then buy/sell privately, its the only way

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #28
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
you won't get any where near KBB, NADA, etc at a dealer for trade, it just won't happen unless they are making up the difference somewhere else (like on the sale of a car you're buying). I've bought/sold cars via private sale many times and I can fully understand why dealers gives nothing on trade (the headache of dealing with the MVA is worth a few thouands IMO).

if you want to get anything close to KBB then buy/sell privately, its the only way
maybe i drive the wrong car then when its standard to lowball trade-in values on BMWs. im definiltey not about that culture especially when there is a clear difference between trade and suggested retail.

i can understand there has to be some give and im all for it in negotiating. but to say, hey, its a bmw so im going to give you at least 3K less than trade in value so i can sell it for at least a 7K profit. it makes no sense. and this was at a bmw dealer.
its not like i was going to buy another 3 series. i was buying a M3 which has a higher cost anyways.

i traded in an 08 civic si with 70k on it for 13500 when bb trade in was 13500. 0 haggle. just hey it says ur car is worth this so here you go. i doubt im being unreasonable at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
maybe i drive the wrong car then when its standard to lowball trade-in values on BMWs. im definiltey not about that culture especially when there is a clear difference between trade and suggested retail.

i can understand there has to be some give and im all for it in negotiating. but to say, hey, its a bmw so im going to give you at least 3K less than trade in value so i can sell it for at least a 7K profit. it makes no sense. and this was at a bmw dealer.
its not like i was going to buy another 3 series. i was buying a M3 which has a higher cost anyways.

i traded in an 08 civic si with 70k on it for 13500 when bb trade in was 13500. 0 haggle. just hey it says ur car is worth this so here you go. i doubt im being unreasonable at all.
I don't know the details of the trade for the civic... but to clarify, you are not buying an M3 from the dealer, you are buying a used M3 from the dealer.

Way different experience and haggle strategy.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep

i quit. its like explaining things to someone that sees things from one perspective.

ive dealt with dealers before and silver spring was just plain old bad.

and the fact that ive seen a tischer person in here and nobody from tischer replied or messaged me further shows how much they care.

it is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #31
Eric the Ricer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan

Go to Passport. My roomate/best friend is a client advisor there. He'll take care of you.

Slammed 335i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #32
platnumdesi01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

I drove all the way to Checkered Flag in VA Beach, the salesman was very nice and their cars are well priced. I've had 14 cars and finally caved in to buy from the dealer cuz all the paper work sucks.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #33
NU//bmw
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:

You're also assuming a dealer flips every trade in for a profit. Most trades end up going to auction. If a dealer does keep a car, they have to deal with reconditioning and holding costs. When a dealer takes in a trade it's basically dead money because the car isn't generating a profit until it's sold. Because of this, each dealer has a set risk tolerance towards trades, so the way they evaluate cars can vary.

Think about it from their perspective. If a dealer gives you a bad offer, what's the worse case? You walk. Best case? You still want a specific car on their lot and will make it happen. For every person like you who recognizes the true value of your car (and walk), there are 5-10 people who don't have the energy, idle cash or knowledge to sell their car privately. So they take what they can get.

I don't think you're being unreasonable, but, for the most part, low offers are the norm. Your civic experience was an anomaly. The question usually isn't whether you'll get lowballed, it's by how much.

The only thing I can think of is to find a dealer with a larger pre-owned inventory as they might be more trade friendly.

TL;DR Dealers have their reasons for making bad offers. Good luck with the M3 purchase.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #34
D_Smiderreen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Please delete my account

That's unfortunate; my sales experience was quite the opposite. My SA still emails me after 2 years. Admittedly, I service my car at Tischer of Silver Spring, just because I reside closer to them. I haven't had any bad experience with Tischer, but if I'm in the market to purchase another BMW, I would go to Passport first, IMO they have a larger inventory.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #35
diamondbimmer92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Smiderreen View Post
That's unfortunate; my sales experience was quite the opposite. My SA still emails me after 2 years. Admittedly, I service my car at Tischer of Silver Spring, just because I reside closer to them. I haven't had any bad experience with Tischer, but if I'm in the market to purchase another BMW, I would go to Passport first, IMO they have a larger inventory.
Smiderreen-- do you take your 3 into tischer for service with the mods in your sig. on?? I want to swith over to them from Northwest
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #36
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Lowballs are to be expected. Was looking at an M3 as well at Tischer, and they offered me $16K; granted, my car has 13,000 less miles than yours does. Trade in values don't come anywhere close to what you think your car should sell for, which is why many members sell them directly on here, or via other social media to see if they can get a better deal. Its just the way shit works. I also think race and age may have had to do with something in my case, but I won't speak anymore on that; it is what it is.

That said, I have decided to keep the 335i and look elsewhere once the F80 M drops, as the previous models are now outdated and the E90/E92 M's cost far too much for what they are, IMO. You definitely made the better choice in keeping your car.

As for the service reps, they are a completely different story. Jack Barber has taken care of our cars since 2005 when he worked at VOB, and he is now at Tischer. Best guy to have on your side!

My $0.02.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #37
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

nice two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Lowballs are to be expected. Was looking at an M3 as well at Tischer, and they offered me $16K; granted, my car has 13,000 less miles than yours does. Trade in values don't come anywhere close to what you think your car should sell for, which is why many members sell them directly on here, or via other social media to see if they can get a better deal. Its just the way shit works. I also think race and age may have had to do with something in my case, but I won't speak anymore on that; it is what it is.

That said, I have decided to keep the 335i and look elsewhere once the F80 M drops, as the previous models are now outdated and the E90/E92 M's cost far too much for what they are, IMO. You definitely made the better choice in keeping your car.

As for the service reps, they are a completely different story. Jack Barber has taken care of our cars since 2005 when he worked at VOB, and he is now at Tischer. Best guy to have on your side!

My $0.02.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #38
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post

My $0.02.
thanks man. 16K is much better than what dude offered me. im pretty sure dude had an issue with me. as stated in the 1st post, he was solid on the phone but his demeanor changed once he saw me.

made 0 attempt to make a sale. none.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #39
D_Smiderreen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Please delete my account

I've taken it in with DP, FMIC and tune only. I haven't been back with the intake but I suspect it won't be a problem as long as it not to fix something engine related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondbimmer92 View Post
Smiderreen-- do you take your 3 into tischer for service with the mods in your sig. on?? I want to swith over to them from Northwest
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #40
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bigj505 - Just checking in on how things are going. Did you get your M3 yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #41
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
bigj505 - Just checking in on how things are going. Did you get your M3 yet?
honestly, i finally took the time to think about things and i remembered how the bmw world works.

its nearing the end of 2012 and original owners of the 2008 m3s are starting to get rid of their cars due to expired factory warranties so there will be more in the market in the next coming months. this + the fact that a new m3 is on the horizon means i should be getting a nice deal when i finally get ready to pull the trigger. ive already seen some nice, nice, nice private listings to kind of back my thought process.

i plan on taking my time until i get a good situation. nothing is wrong with my 335 and i still have 11 1/2 months of CPO warranty so im definitely not in a rush.
Appreciate 0