E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > F$&$#^& RFT...Good Bye BMW

12-24-2009, 03:41 AM   #45
BMW Jet
BMW addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW 2006 330i Soon to be F80

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
Just get rid of the RFT like everyone else and put some real tires like the Michelin or Continental. Also increase the thickness from 45 to 50 and you are set to go for a more comfortable ride, sportier one if u chose quality tires like the brands I just mentioned and tires that last.

Quad Exhaust / Glossy Black Grill / Carbon Fiber mirrors / OEM Rear Spoiler / Mtec V2 AE / GP Thunder beams /
7500k Fog lights / Interior light LEDs / License LEDs / Trunk LED / Black Air scoops
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #46
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

I think you are missing the point
I have alreay paid for tyres and rims...they came with the car.
Apparrently they sell BMW's with these items and you have to pay for them.

They did not tell me I had to change them for different combination after I bought the car
The standard is 18" and they asked if I would like to UPGRADE!!! to 19", I might add at a cost.

I assumed that since I was paying $130K they were able to be used on our roads
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #47
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .dee View Post
do not agree to pay for anything, neither labor, parts, nothing.

the 19's specially the style 225, and to a lesser extent 230, are known to have some structural weakness, its fairly serious too, i.e. in UK they stopped selling the 225's all together and BMW fixes all claims out "goodwill" ie not admitting manufacturing defects.

have a look here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313184
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315301
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190162

I'm keeping an eye on mine...
Thanks
This will help
As far as paying I may have no choice I am stcuck in Noosa with two cracked wheels and have no intention of driving home on them.
Wil leave it to my lawyer if it gets ugly but these links help a lot
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #48
Scooterman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I k now this doesn't help but I don't see the point of getting the same rims (and more run flats) put back on if that is what they plan to do either

19" and run flats are no win combination anyway. They never used to put run flats on 19's and still don't on M cars.

2008 E90 335i MSport, Blacklines, Tint, V4
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #49
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterman View Post
I k now this doesn't help but I don't see the point of getting the same rims (and more run flats) put back on if that is what they plan to do either

19" and run flats are no win combination anyway. They never used to put run flats on 19's and still don't on M cars.
+1, as it seems like you will end up in the same situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 12:28 AM   #50
squeaky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
The spare tyre kit is nothing special, but it does provide a flat load space on top of the spare wheel for a price.
Do you have a part number for the spare tire kit? I'd like to see if I can order it in the US. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #51
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaky View Post
Do you have a part number for the spare tire kit? I'd like to see if I can order it in the US. Thanks.
Hi Squeaky,
The part number is 51-47-2-146-913. It includes the wheel, tyre, jack, false floor and the supports as pictured above.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #52
squeaky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Sweet. I'm crossing my fingers that I can order it here. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #53
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
+1, as it seems like you will end up in the same situation.
The reason is that they will be paying for them...and then I am getting rid of the car and buying a holden/Toyota/ (Not a Ford)
This will be my third and last BMW...they have lost me as a customer and I can tell you some of my friends as well who were thinking of buying the.
As the above articles show I am not alone.
Remember they sell the car for OUR roads, so why should I have to pay for more tyres and rims after they have sold me the car...maybe I am missing something or is it normal to buy a car (Pay extra for the wheels and rims) and then be told that the wheel and tyre combination is unsuitable for the country and cities you are going to drive in?
The pint is not wheteher RFT are any good or 19"...the issue is BMW are selling them as an option and one would think that they can handle the conditions that they are made for i.e. Driving on Roads in Australia!!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #54
.dee
Private
Rep
Drives: M3, GT3 RS, Bentayga, 600LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
This will be my third and last BMW...they have lost me as a customer and I can tell you some of my friends as well who were thinking of buying the.
As the above articles show I am not alone.
The pint is not wheteher RFT are any good or 19"...the issue is BMW are selling them as an option and one would think that they can handle the conditions that they are made for i.e. Driving on Roads in Australia!!
ditto, i bought 3 bm's this year alone, and would have no hesitation to swap to the competition should issues come up. now I'm not naive and dont expect to have a perfect ownership experience from a reliability point, (although my is250 never gave me any trouble in 3 years of ownership), but i do expect for them to stand behind their product when problems arise.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 05:52 AM   #55
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

I totally understand CADILLAC's reasoning here. I too beleive the factory supplied wheels should be "fit for purpose". You seem to have had more bad experiance with run flats than anyone else we have heard from and to be fair, I'd also be fairly peeved if this was happening to me.

The style 230 wheels are actually manufactured by BBS who are a world leading wheel manufacture and supplier to the auto and racing industry. Obviously "BBS" have a flaw in their product. Assuming the issue here is the combination of the 19" wheels with run flats, BMW are also in a position here where they cant swap out the run flats for conventional tyres as I assume it would go against their corporate stance on Run Flats. I'm confident BMW will rectify the situation in your favour however once you are out of warrenty, and your bad luch continues, then you will be on your own.

I know of a HSV owner that has cracked 2 x 19" rims in the last 12 months with conventional tyres so switching car manufacture wount assure you the issue will not arise again.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #56
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

Yes your right it's not only bmw with cracked rims lexus has the same problem our roads are shocking patch up pot holes.
I'll wait till my run flats wear out just wandering whats the handling difference is between RFT and performance non RFT and steering response like.
A lot of guys have changed their front suspension setups to M3 gear to get handling back and steering response as m3 bushes are harder than our cars.
What's your opinion.
      12-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #57
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I have to report a good outcome thanks to Brad and the guys at Coastline BMW.
BMW said they would not replace them under warranty but would do it as a goodwill gesture...I think a lot to do with the case put up by Brad at Coastline
Considering I bought the car at Trivtt in sydney I was very impressed with the way they handled this.
Now mt novated lease runs out in October so I have to decide to get rid of the car or my only alternative is to put normal tyres on it.
Will decide when I get back to Sydney
What would a Oct 2006 335i be worth?
6 Speed manual
Black Sapphire
iPod interface
Sunroof
Rear blind
Comfort access
230 Style 19" wheels (I know)
Heated seats
Mirror package including garage door remote set up
Pretty much all the options ticked, except the auto one

Now to enjoy the rest of the vacation
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #58
Scooterman
Private First Class
Rep

Don't let stupid RFT's defeat you man, replace them and you will like the car more anyway

Private sale ~ $75k if its in good shape

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #59
.dee
Private
Rep
Drives: M3, GT3 RS, Bentayga, 600LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
I have to report a good outcome thanks to Brad and the guys at Coastline BMW.
BMW said they would not replace them under warranty but would do it as a goodwill gesture...I think a lot to do with the case put up by Brad at Coastline
Considering I bought the car at Trivtt in sydney I was very impressed with the way they handled this.

Now to enjoy the rest of the vacation
hey, congrats on your outcome, that is exactly what they are doing in the UK, as per my previous post, all fixed as goodwill instead of warranty, due to legalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterman View Post
Don't let stupid RFT's defeat you man, replace them and you will like the car more anyway

Private sale ~ $75k if its in good shape
whilst i agree that the RFT's are rubbish, wouldn't having a softer sidewall as on the normal tires transfer more of the impact to the alloy?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #60
Scooterman
Private First Class
Rep

Put it this way...put a block of wood on your hand and hit it hard with a hammer. Then put a similar size chunk of rubber on your hand and hit with with a hammer. Report back with the results of which translates more impact to your hand.

The reason the runflat are rubbish is because of the stiff sidewall and a more direct translation of impacts to wheel, suspension and ultimately your ass.

whilst i agree that the RFT's are rubbish, wouldn't having a softer sidewall as on the normal tires transfer more of the impact to the alloy?[/QUOTE]

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #61
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Great outcome.... I expected this was going to happen. I've had a lot of different makes of cars before and you can tell me what you like but nobody ... and I really mean nobody, handles warrenty claims as good as BMW.

The softer sidewall absorbs more of the pounding that the rim would be subjected to. If you are going to keep the car then I would switch to conventional tyres now before any damage is done to the new rims.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 11:42 PM   #62
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
Great outcome.... I expected this was going to happen. I've had a lot of different makes of cars before and you can tell me what you like but nobody ... and I really mean nobody, handles warrenty claims as good as BMW.

The softer sidewall absorbs more of the pounding that the rim would be subjected to. If you are going to keep the car then I would switch to conventional tyres now before any damage is done to the new rims.
Heading to Sydney this Saturday
Will decide if keeping the car after that trip...if I do...next stop, new Non RFT tyres
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #63
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

OK. Took the plunge after driving back from Noosa with the two new rear rims) and replaced the RFT Crap Tyres.
4 new Non- RFT tyres
To all those who said it before...WOW...amazing difference...you are right.

265 x 30 x 19 Rear
235 x 35 x 19 Front
Plus the mobility pack
I wish I had done it earlier...I know...I know, some of you said it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:40 AM   #64
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Hi Cadillac, Its good to hear you finally got some joy out of the car/tyre situation.

My personal opinion is that its worth keeping plenty of pressure in your tyres to reduce the possibility of damaging the rims. I keep no less than 40PSI in mine when running 18" rims. I'm not sure that everyone would agree with this thinking, although it just seems obvious to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #65
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
My personal opinion is that its worth keeping plenty of pressure in your tyres to reduce the possibility of damaging the rims. I keep no less than 40PSI in mine when running 18" rims. I'm not sure that everyone would agree with this thinking, although it just seems obvious to me.
Hey I am not so sure about this.
If you have too much pressure, then the tyre won't absorb the impact.
It depends on if the rim is damaged by the tyre 'bottoming out' or just by the shock being passed on to the rim.

I have 230's with 19" runcraps as well (came with the car) so I need to keep a watch out for potholes, which means that I don't drive at night ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #66
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

The guys at Trivett Tyres said 36 front and 38 rear
Appreciate 0