E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo Seal, Turbo Replacement Help

04-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FR F82 M4

Turbo Seal, Turbo Replacement Help

I just recently got my car taken to a shop and it turns out that there might be a turbo seal problem that causes oil to leak from one of the turbos. I have heard that I should get both replace if I were to replace one but I would like to see what the best course of action is. I no longer have warranty and also am running stage 2+FMIC (catless DP). The shop is still diagnosing my car but he thinks that a puff of black smoke is the oil leaking from my turbo and it is the turbo seal. I am trying to keep cost to a minimum, any help please?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also, I forgot to ask, what I am looking at, price-wise, typically for turbo replacements including labor?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Turbo seals usually blow a bluish smoke. Black smoke is usually a car running rich, fuel issue (injector leaking, o2 sensor ect). I can do turbos in 6-8 hrs. Book time is 25 hours.
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
FRMTL2_335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

i replaced one blown turbo last year, now the wastegate in the other is done, you should do both and not worry about it anymore. im replacing mines with RBs this week. i did my turbo in 8hrs, first time doing it, in my driveway with jackstands. im sure i can cut it back to 6-7hrs at the most.
FFTEC 6466 Gen2, MHD Flash Tuned by Wedge, BMS PI Kit, FUEL-IT Stg 3 pump, HALTECH PS-1000, MFactory LSD w/lock down brace, ECS Trailing Arms, M3 control arms, M3 brace, DGR Coilovers, N20 tmap sensor, BMS OCC, VRSF exhaust w/4" tips, VRSF CP, Tial BOV. BigTom FMIC, Msport front & rear, m3 sides skirts.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Turbo seals usually blow a bluish smoke. Black smoke is usually a car running rich, fuel issue (injector leaking, o2 sensor ect). I can do turbos in 6-8 hrs. Book time is 25 hours.
I am thinking that this could be the case. The smoke coming out of the exhaust is black. I am also getting Cobb AP codes for bank 1 and 2 before and after catalytic converter. I just would love to not have to do a turbo replacement as those don't come cheap if that is not the problem.

Can anyone please verify this?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFish View Post
I am thinking that this could be the case. The smoke coming out of the exhaust is black. I am also getting Cobb AP codes for bank 1 and 2 before and after catalytic converter. I just would love to not have to do a turbo replacement as those don't come cheap if that is not the problem.

Can anyone please verify this?
Dude the cheapest thing is to put in 5w-40 oil and let it run till it turbo's are toast & it starts affecting boost ... If u're boosting fine, let the oil burn, all its doing is burning out into DPs, so what ... start putting in $$ when performance is affected, just my 2c

PM me if you wanna discuss more, I have pics from my car when I pulled the DPs off and saw oil
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
BADS335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 335i E90

I have same issue. But I am getting oil in the intake side, not just exhaust. So I am going to gum up the valves fast. Taking it to the dealer Thursday and crossing fingers for warranty repair.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 01:08 AM   #8
BigBoss
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i or 535i

Is this a common issue with 335is?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFish View Post
I just recently got my car taken to a shop and it turns out that there might be a turbo seal problem that causes oil to leak from one of the turbos. I have heard that I should get both replace if I were to replace one but I would like to see what the best course of action is. I no longer have warranty and also am running stage 2+FMIC (catless DP). The shop is still diagnosing my car but he thinks that a puff of black smoke is the oil leaking from my turbo and it is the turbo seal. I am trying to keep cost to a minimum, any help please?

Thanks.
Black smoke and soot. The car is running rich.
Catless DPs and black smoke, you have one or more leaky injectors.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #10
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADS335 View Post
I have same issue. But I am getting oil in the intake side, not just exhaust. So I am going to gum up the valves fast. Taking it to the dealer Thursday and crossing fingers for warranty repair.
It could just be the oil housing gasket that is leaking plus if you get the BMS oil catch can, that could help as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Black smoke and soot. The car is running rich.
Catless DPs and black smoke, you have one or more leaky injectors.
I was thinking that too. The black smoke must be gas and not oil as I've heard it runs rich. I think you could be right.

Note: Also, for anyone that is on stage 2 + FMIC, I notice something just recently. I am only throwing codes when I am running this map. If I am on stage 2, I do not throw codes at all but have P2AAF all by itself and I heard, also from what I've researched, this is okay as long as it is by itself. I just switch back to stage 2 aggressive from stage 2 + fmic and will see if any codes are thrown. I was at stg2+FMIC-agressive, to stg2+FMIC-sport, to stg2 sport, to stg2+FMIC-sport, and now back to stage 2 aggressive.

I have only gotten a CEL (SES) once on stg2+fmic-aggressive and threw other exhaust related codes in the "+fmic" stages. If I am in stage 2, it seems to be fine. Maybe it could be how my FMIC is installed? There could be a problem somewhere with that? I am not sure.
Appreciate 0