E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Current state of play regarding wastegate rattle and software updates?

07-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
Corradokid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Current state of play regarding wastegate rattle and software updates?

Ok so my car has gone in to bmw for a few issue to be looked at under extended warranty, one of which is wastegate rattle. They have told me that they need to do software updates as per bmws recommendation. I've argued the case that this is only ever going to be a bodge, and can ruin drivability and also that it's fine for bmw to recommend that trying to save costs under warranty but they won't be paying, mondial will. Anyone had to argue there case?

Is the software update reversible once carried out and has it changed from the early days of causing issues with low down performance? They can't seem to tell me how much it will cost either as the warranty won't cover software. I'm going to have a conversation with them as I remembered earlier that I also have occasional white smoke when on throttle after coasting and can be also be replicated by heavy acceleration and then coming to a stop sometimes which sounds like a turbo issue, but again don't want to be dragged into endless hours of diagnostics which warranty also won't pay for. Starting to think I may have chosen the wrong dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Tough one this. Start with the white smoke mine did this on/off back in 2013 being in the trade I kinda knew the rest then within a couple of week's it let go and oil was dripping out the rear pipes

So replaced the Turbo's now these rattle like a pig and it was booked in under the BMW parts supply warranty. They've listened to my car 100% agree with the noise and now 2 replacement turbo's are about to go on. There was no drama in the claim whatsoever.

Re the software fix on the first replacement set I carried out the software fix after these rattled, it made a small difference, be aware though like some others have reported I noticed a slight drop off in low down torque, but the fix wasn't that great TBH as again others have reported. To reverse the procedure as you've asked you'll have to request a complete ECU software update.

All I'd say is BMW are well aware of the issue, if you're not happy with the answer then you could well opt to go with another dealership as sometimes it can be the interpretation of the situation from the individual that can tip a case. Usually a master tech will have a look a the car and report the required finding in accordence to the manufacturers warranty through the relevent channels. But I dare say like the service you get in say 2 banks, 2 dealerships could tackle the same situation differently and that's the call you have to make. Vote with your feet if it doesn't feel right.

The smoke could well be the start of the seals going or possible carbon build up within the turbo housing itself, which is far more common than you'd think and perhaps is the most common single issue re turbo failure seen over time that lead the the unit internally failing, below are the pics of my unit stripped after it failed (cars had full BMW history-yet was a town car therefore had been at a guess a stop/start queen hadn't been exercised at a guess the oil was only changed once the service light came in to play. Over time oil starvation due to lenghy service intervals IMO had taken place

smoke is oil escaping in to the exhaust this in turn burns off in the exhaust usually displaying blue/grey smoke and sometimes seen as whitish smoke, you'll perhaps notice this more after setting off from idle as the engine revs rise when pulling away for instance, damaged contaminated internal bearings due to oil starvation are also issues that can/will produce smoke as seen.

Other than that the smoke could also be an issue re the poor factory PCV system thats well documented

If it were me I'd push for a series of answers. The answers being the wastegate rattle may be partially cured with the software update, but ask them to answer the question re the reported smoke, I'm guessing when you see this its out of the drivers side tailpipe? And no software update will cure that that needs to be inspected by eye
      07-12-2015, 03:54 AM   #3
Corradokid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thanks Steve, I had a feeling I would just be going round in circles with this particular dealership so didn't bother chasing it up with them and will look elsewhere. Quite why it matters so much to them when all they would do is submit the claim to mondial is beyond me but there you go.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Well it was partly this thread that got me thinking re wastewater rattle, I had my turbos as I think I stated above replaced in late 2013, the new ones rattled, not badly but they rattled nevertheless. I actually reported this on the day we fitted them and basically left it at that.

You get used to it I think but over the past 4-6 weeks I'd been aware of in my mind wanting to check the state of play and with a thread or two asking the said same question I opted to basically test the water.

Issue 1 cars got catless downpipes fitted: As we know the car doesn't come fitted with these, but would fitting these cause the problem? Well the answer is No, so I booked the car in after having a conversation with the dealerships warranty manager, I provided all paperwork for parts purchased plus proof over servicing. The car went in had to wait a couple of days for assessment but the answer came back that in my case they would due to the noise reported swap both units as there was clearly a fault as reported which couldn't be denied.

So after a further week off the road cars got 2 new turbos, noise has of course(thankfully)gone.

All I can say is if approached in a calm way, invite the dealership you use to look at the car themselves, explain the fact that you are aware that BMW has updated these components on numerous occasions then you've done your bit and all you can do is await a verdict.

If they opt to (if applicable)update the software this may, may not help on mine it made a slight difference, but low down power wasn't as good. If the car smokes well if the cars under warranty it's 100% worth getting checked out.