E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Hans Device

05-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
stltri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i M-Sport

Hans Device

Was wondering at what point of an HPDE driver is a Hans device necessary?

If helmets and long-sleeve shirts are meant for safety, why not a Hans device?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stltri View Post
Was wondering at what point of an HPDE driver is a Head and Neck Restraint necessary?

If helmets and long-sleeve shirts are meant for safety, why not a Hans device?
I fixed that for you.

Hans requires a harness. Which brings up the whole 4/5/6-point harness discussion, which brings up the stock vs racing seat discussion which ultimately leads to the risks of doing anything in-between 3-point belts on stock seats and 6-point harnesses on racing seats and a cage. Not to mention that different clubs have different rules for all the in-between situations and disallow specific configurations. You can research all of this as the topic has been beaten to death. That would be option #1.

Option #2 would be HNR devices that tether to your body instead of a harness. There was a good comparison thread on another track forum recently but, at the moment, the only ones available for sale are from Safety Solutions (bought by Simpson recently). Their advantage is that they work with 3-point belts and are very popular with instructors and intermediate/advanced students (in the NE). Both #1 and #2 are SFI approved solutions.

The quick answer to your question is "as soon as safely possible". If you want to stick with a Hans, my recommendation would be not to introduce other risks based on the harness of your choice. For An R3 type solution, there is no downside to start using one immediately. (that's what I use as well)

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
stltri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i M-Sport

Thanks for your input PeterM1. Would probably test fit one of those Safety Solution HNR device sometime soon.

I'm really surprised not everybody uses these HNR devices. I would suspect that this would also be beneficial for those that drive convertibles on the track?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Clubs typically deal with convertibles in 2-ways, either they don't allow them to run or they require a hard-mounted/non-popup rollbar extending above the driver's head.

As far as the low ratio of HnR devices during HPDE events, I attribute that to optimism (or delusion) that "an accident can't happen to me", eventually followed by partial wisdom or realization of the inherent risks of the sport as speeds pick up in the intermediate/advanced groups. As all things in life, it takes most of us quite some time to get there.
Appreciate 0