E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Help...my computer won't stay connected

02-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Help...my computer won't stay connected

Hey, can anyone with networking experience help me? Here's my problem:

I haven't been able to connect my computer to the internet for about a week now. Here's the problem...I'm connected to my home network using Verizon DSL and all the computers in my house can connect to the Internet except mine. The modem is fine, and the router is fine. I can't understand what the problem is, but I can't live without the internet, and I'm afraid a complete format is the only solution.

Here's the strange thing. I can get onto the Internet every great once in a while, but only for about 30 seconds, and then I get "kicked" off as it stops working...while all the other computers in the house are fine. When it stops working, I can't even connect to the router using 192.168.1.1. All my network settings are fine because I haven't touched them. Any idea what can be causing this? I'd like to download all the new security updates from microsoft, but I can't get online long enough to do anything. Could a virus be causing this?

I've got Norton Internet Security 2006, but I've already disabled it many times to see if the firewall was reconfigured and might have stopped it, but still nothing. IE and Outlok are both configured to "Automatic" so I changed them to "Permit all" before disabling and still nothing.

I also did a netsh winsock reset and netsh firewall reset (even though I don't use windows firewall) and still nothing. This is killing me! Can anyone help??? THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Have you checked the connection between your PC & the router sharp- is the cable laid ok & terminated properly?

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yeah, as far as I can tell, it's connected properly. There's a little light that comes on on the network card itself when there is a "cable" connection. That's what's driving me crazy because since I can't even get to the router, it's acting like there's literally no physical cable connected at all, which in fact there is, and from as far as I can tell, it's connected exactly the way it should be.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
if your other computers don't loose connectivity, try swapping the ethernet cables from one of them to your primary computer and see what happens. if your connection keeps dropping, there's obviously a problem with you computer. if you want to find out if it's a messed up setting in your windows env., trying booting in safe mode with networking and see if it's ok then. if it is, you'll just have to find a problem in windows. if not, there might be a hardware issue. well, there is a zillion things that could have gone wrong here, so i guess you'll just need to troubleshoot and eliminate every option one by one. you can also try removing your connection altogether and adding it back (in network connections). you can try adding/removing your TCP/IP connection, etc. etc..

good luck!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
G-man
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i w/S PKG

I had an similar issue and it was driving me nutz as well. what kinda IP address do u get.... is it 169.254.X.X

I tried everything u did and still nothing. Finally i discovered it was spywares in my computer. i ran spyware removers like

- adware
- search & destroy
- webroot spysweeper

Eventually the problem got repaired...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, thanks for the help so far guys...I'm going to screw with it more later, and I'll try some of the things you suggested....I just needed a fresh perspective from you guys because I'm trying the same thing over and over and over again and nothing works! :mad:

I know the problem is on my end and that's what kills me. Usually when I've got a really stubborn problem, I call up verizon and they'd reset my password, and I'd just reconnect that way (believe it or not, a password caused a problem once before out of the blue). But since there is a dead connection between my network card and the router says something is definitely wrong on my end. Well, I'm on the computer at work now and I'll be signing off soon and I'm going to work on it again when I get home, but if you guys can think of anything in the meantime, please let me know. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Hey, Sharp - as others have mentioned, the problem is on your end.

I would start with the basics:

1) Cable is faulty or not properly connected. Swap cables to test this.
2) Hardware configuration on your end is not optimal. Change your TCP/IP settings on your ethernet card to "obtain automatic IP" and the same goes with the DNS server. Put everything on automatic.
3) Your network card has gone bad. I've seen this happen before - namely with cards that are NOT 3Com. Swap network cards if it's not a big hassle.
4) You have spyware, trojan horses, and/or viruses that inhibit you from going online. Unfortunately, most anti-spyware programs and anti-virus programs are useless if you can't even get online to download the latest database files. Run 'msconfig' from the start menu "run...". Click on "start up" tab and unclick all applications which you feel are suspected as malicious software. Note that 'msconfig' is only valid for WinXP based OPs.
5) The port you're connecting to on the router is faulty. Switch ports to test this.
6) Make sure you have access to the router if you are using any MAC filtering. e.g. add your MAC address to the router (using a computer that has access to the router).
7) Right click your network icon in the system tray and click 'repair'. Sometimes Windows will fix the connectivity issue...most times it won't.
      02-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, thanks everybody. I guess the case is closed. I had an extra network card in my old computer and swapped it, and it turns out everything is working ok now, finally! Thanks again....looks like I'm back online. I never thought a network card could go bad, but I suppose in this case, it did

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #9
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

I guessed right! Well, I had 7 guesses...so close enough.
      02-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #10
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
I guessed right! Well, I had 7 guesses...so close enough.
Ha ha ha! I copied your list of suggestions into word and printed them out at work so I had something to go by at home.

Sure, I guess I could have used another computer on my home network to get the list, but since this problem I've found using another computer in my house while my regular one is still broken is even more frustrating!

Thanks, squawks!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #11
3some
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E90 //M Sport 320i S/Black

Garage List
Check that your "Idle time before hanging up" is set to never in the properties box of your DSL connection, I had a simmilar problem.

E90 M-Sport Package, Sapphire Black . Exterior
Logic 7 Sound, Sunroof , I-Drive, Sport Seats , Sat-Nav, Beige Dekota Leather , Aluminium Trim . Interior
Blacklines installed recently, Chrome exaust Tip, Mods :rocks: :rocks:
1999- April - E36 Special Edition 316i (Brilliant Red)
2004- April - E46 Sport Pack 318i (Alpine White)
2005- December- E90 M-Sport 320i (Sapphire Black)
Next- 2008 - E92 335i Coupe (Don't know yet)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #12
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
sharp1183, good to see you back, I was actually going to post a missing persons thread.... seriously.

You and I have been around since May, and we've been through that iDrive mp3 fiasco. Have you gotten yours updated yet? I have an appointment for tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2006, 08:06 PM   #13
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 f32

When you aren't getting connection...what is your IP Address? go to a dos prompt...type in IPCONFIG...if you are getting a valid IP address, then ping a website... ping yahoo.com and see whether or not you get a response... let me know how it goes

Pranav
http://www.nycomputerandsound.com
      02-14-2006, 10:03 PM   #14
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
sharp1183, good to see you back, I was actually going to post a missing persons thread.... seriously.

You and I have been around since May, and we've been through that iDrive mp3 fiasco. Have you gotten yours updated yet? I have an appointment for tomorrow.
Hey, thanks RedStripe! It's nice to feel appreciated!

Actually, no I haven't been to the dealer since the summertime when I had my motion sensor installed for the alarm (that fiasco! )

But no, I haven't even called about it. I figured I'd wait until I was sure that the dealer would know EXACTLY what I was talking about ...because I mentioned the mp3 thing in the summer and the service dept had no idea what I was talking about.

Anyway, yeah if you've got the appointment tomorrow, make sure you let us know how things turn out when you're done.
Appreciate 0