E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > The IOWA thread

07-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #45
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Not to hijack the Iowa guys thread, but I have a sparkling graphite coupe. Silverevo, another guy in Omaha has a black coupe.

Mine stands out because I have aftermarket black wheels.

This hot weather really does a number on our turbos!

And yes, Iowa guys, we will take it to the Omaha thread (that is unfortunately pretty dead)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #46
Gossamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
Not to hijack the Iowa guys thread, but I have a sparkling graphite coupe. Silverevo, another guy in Omaha has a black coupe.

And yes, Iowa guys, we will take it to the Omaha thread (that is unfortunately pretty dead)
Have you had a chance to drive the Mid-America Motorplex track?

http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/default.asp

I have a couple friends that go there regularly for SpecMiata racing and think it would be great to have a group get together there for a 1/2 day of driving and then watch some others race.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #47
07 coupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post

And yes, Iowa guys, we will take it to the Omaha thread (that is unfortunately pretty )
Just a heads up, if you see my Roady driving around during the next 3-4 weeks, it won't be me because I'll be in England... so don't chase it down or honk or anything

and sorry for
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #48
WERND
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Have you had a chance to drive the Mid-America Motorplex track?

http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/default.asp

I have a couple friends that go there regularly for SpecMiata racing and think it would be great to have a group get together there for a 1/2 day of driving and then watch some others race.
We're going to do a Fast Friday there the 25th of July. Going to tirerack this weekend to get rims and tires for it. If you'd like to join us just let me know.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #49
Gossamer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERND View Post
We're going to do a Fast Friday there the 25th of July. Going to tirerack this weekend to get rims and tires for it. If you'd like to join us just let me know.
I'd love too...I'll be in Wyoming with my wife hiking and avoiding being eaten by bears. Any chance you'll do another one this year?

What rims and tires are you getting?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #50
WERND
Captain
Rep

Not sure if we'll do another befor BooBash or not.

TRMotorsport 18X9 with Dunlops
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 08:14 AM   #51
Gossamer
Private First Class
Rep

well, I'll give you all my review of Eurowerkzlc. I had Doug pick up my car and install the Koni FSD/Eibach kit on my e92 on Wednesday. I have to tell you, it was nothing but top notch service and professionalism.

Again, I only knew of Doug through some other people but have found him to be very knowledgeable and courteous. Now that I've met him and had him do some work for me, I'll be going back if I ever need anything...just my 2 cents.

As for the FSD/Eibach set up, WOW! I didn't think it would actually ride better. The ride is more refined under normal driving conditions but the shocks definitely change character when you push them. I'll be excited to get them on a track to see what they really do.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #52
RuSport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

German Grand Prix

Achtung!
German Grand Prix
Sunday at Ru's
11:30 am
Burgers
Bring your drink of choice
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #53
dsch01
Rep
Drives: 2001 M3 - 2019 M240i

Thanks for hosting!

I plan to be there.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #54
BMWtiiim3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 / E46 M3/ E92 M3

I'll be ther too. I will try and see if Jim wants to come over too.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #55
WERND
Captain
Rep

Don't be tryin' to give me any of those soy burgers either.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #56
Prez
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a few

I'm in.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #57
WERND
Captain
Rep

Might have KC also.

Well got the MT1s on the car with the 245 Dunlops. Just barely fit so I doubt the 255s would have fit. With camber plates and 3mm spacer though, no problem. So the next set will be the 255s (they were out of stock). Actually the next set will probably be the BFG Competition tires they have. They're only $265 and I'm told they last like a Toyo which is a great selling point for me. Always had good luck with the Toyos so I hope the BFGs compare well although I probably won't need a set for quite some time.

Tire Racks building is freakin' huge! Seen it many times from the outside but man when your inside it's just amazing, I can't believe they're ever out of stock on anything. Next year they're going to add 260,000+ sq ft, it will put them over 900,000 sq ft!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #58
RuSport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Might have KC also.

KC will want a soy burger Sounds like a successful trip.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #59
WERND
Captain
Rep

Specs on the rims/tires
Stock 335 rear rim 53.5lbs
Breyton rear 55lbs front 50lbs
TRMotorsport MT1 46lbs
The rim weighs 18.5lbs and the tires weigh 27lbs so I guess the TPS weighs under .5lbs
Car should be fun Friday. Running square seems to have helped with understeer and the car seems to have more power with the significant reduction in weight. Saw .83 on the GMeter in one of the on ramps.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #60
Gossamer
Private First Class
Rep

Have any of you guys used the stock RFTs autocrossing? If so, how did they handle. I'm not sure I can afford new wheels/tires this season so I want to know if I'm going to have a hard time with these.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #61
Another White Car
Rep
Drives: BMW 330Ci

Quote:
Have any of you guys used the stock RFTs autocrossing? If so, how did they handle. I'm not sure I can afford new wheels/tires this season so I want to know if I'm going to have a hard time with these.
First off, how much experience do you have?

If you don't have a bunch of experience autocrossing, it will not make a difference at all. In fact it may teach you more than you expected!

The whole idea of autocross is to get you to drive what you have at the limits of control, and find those limits. I always suggest that if you cant say what you want the car to do, you shouldn't change anything. Once you know can identify the weakness of the car and not your weakness, then it is time to make the change. Spend your cash on learning to drive and not on the parts. Once you start the spending, you start going down the slippery slope of no return (and for usually a very small incrimental difference in speed or time).

And the mantra is "It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow".
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #62
Another White Car
Rep

Quote:
Might have KC also.

Well got the MT1s on the car with the 245 Dunlops. Just barely fit so I doubt the 255s would have fit. With camber plates and 3mm spacer though, no problem. So the next set will be the 255s (they were out of stock). Actually the next set will probably be the BFG Competition tires they have. They're only $265 and I'm told they last like a Toyo which is a great selling point for me. Always had good luck with the Toyos so I hope the BFGs compare well although I probably won't need a set for quite some time.

Tire Racks building is freakin' huge! Seen it many times from the outside but man when your inside it's just amazing, I can't believe they're ever out of stock on anything. Next year they're going to add 260,000+ sq ft, it will put them over 900,000 sq ft!
I know that Russ tried the BFG's. Russ had a hard time getting them to be as fast as he wanted on the track. He told me that they felt like they had a bunch of grip, but ultimately still slower than the Hoosier and he thought they were about the same lap times as the Toyo RA-1 takeoffs that he had run just before. He also commented that they heat cycled out fairly quickly. Joe used a set if I am not mistaken...ask him what he thought I thought about a set, but based on price, I would be more inclined to look at the Michelins, or better off staying with the Toyos or Victoracers.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #63
Gossamer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another White Car View Post
First off, how much experience do you have?

If you don't have a bunch of experience autocrossing, it will not make a difference at all. In fact it may teach you more than you expected!

The whole idea of autocross is to get you to drive what you have at the limits of control, and find those limits. I always suggest that if you cant say what you want the car to do, you shouldn't change anything. Once you know can identify the weakness of the car and not your weakness, then it is time to make the change. Spend your cash on learning to drive and not on the parts. Once you start the spending, you start going down the slippery slope of no return (and for usually a very small incrimental difference in speed or time).

And the mantra is "It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow".
Thanks for your input. I'm simply trying to see what people have learned by autcrossing on their RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #64
Another White Car
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I'm simply trying to see what people have learned by autcrossing on their RFTs.
No problem. Overall, you can expect much more slide and late turn in bite. You will need to slightly overslow for corner entry and then use the power of the car to rotate the rear, thus steering the car with throttle rather than the wheel. Entry speed will be the most critical. Overall lateral grip is not that bad compared to equivalent tires. Just getting to that point is a bit harder to accomplish. The fastest times will be generated with a slight/slow drift through all parts of the course. And it goes without saying that if you are experiencing push or understeer, you are going too fast and need to slow down.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #65
Gossamer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another White Car View Post
No problem. Overall, you can expect much more slide and late turn in bite. You will need to slightly overslow for corner entry and then use the power of the car to rotate the rear, thus steering the car with throttle rather than the wheel. Entry speed will be the most critical. Overall lateral grip is not that bad compared to equivalent tires. Just getting to that point is a bit harder to accomplish. The fastest times will be generated with a slight/slow drift through all parts of the course. And it goes without saying that if you are experiencing push or understeer, you are going too fast and need to slow down.
Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback. I don't have experience in autocrossing but do understand what you are referring to. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet you and the others in the Des Moines area at an upcoming event.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #66
Prez
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a few

I uploaded most the photos that RuSport sent me from the Longest Day.

http://se7enmotorsports.com/main.php/v/08season/ldsch/

Appreciate 0