E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > discoloration of plastic around windows

10-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
bmw_guy
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i/ seat ibiza

discoloration of plastic around windows

Hello,

I got my car cleaned at H20 valeting (westfield) a couple of weeks back. A few days later I noticed some discolouration on the plastic around the rear window (as in uploaded picture)

Tried to rub the discoloration with my fingers, but the discoloration did not go away. Did some internet research and some sites state that it is potentially from the valeting crews use some strong stuff(abrasives….) which causes discoloration issues to mouldings, the rubber trim of cars….

I later also found that the rubber around the windows and windshields have also discoloured to a grey or lightish color. In some case cases when i rub these rubber, some sort of residue rubs off - residue which appears to be dir or some white residue and the rubber below appears to go back to its original colour. (not sure if i am actually rubbing a layer of the rubber) However i have not been able to restore the plastic moulding around the back window of my car to its original color.

What do you guys say my current action should be , should i go back to H20 and claim for damage, or is this easily rectifiable by using a spray or wash of some sorts?

I am trying to balance the effort of getting H20 to fix it as opposed to the ease of just getting a can or spray of some thing to fix it myself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Try a rubber/plastic reconditioner. A lot of detail guys/gals on here have a lot of respect for Swissvax products. For the Plastic, I'd try a good old clay bar first, just to pick up all the crap on them, and then a treatment with a plastic rejuvenator, and then just treating the rubber. Any input?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

The wearing pretty normal as far as what I've seen. If it wasn't now, later on its would have eventually wore down. I don't think a claim would go through; you can always try.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Swissvax Protecton will fix the plastic trim perfectly, and seal feed will make the rubber look new!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 05:05 AM   #5
bmw_guy
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i/ seat ibiza

thanks for the replies guys,

you guys think it is just a contaminant?

i have tried rubbing it with my fingers and it appears that sue gunk has come of. i also noticed, at the base of the plastic (start of the window), accumulation of some gunky residue, which is washable.is it advisable to rub it with my fingers? would it work?

i did a search for clay bar and came across this
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...ource=shopping
what do you guys think of this as a good clar bar?

some one mentioned klasse io as a restorative option, did a search and came across this
http://www.autogeek.net/klasseallinone.html
what do you guys think of klasse io?

is this what you are recommending for restoring the shine.?
http://www.swissvax.co.uk/product_de...rotecton_250ml

and this for the rubber?
http://www.swissvax.co.uk/product_de...eal_feed_250ml

do i need to clean the rubber with some solvent as well?

i could not get myself around to calling those cowboys, so i think i have missed the opportunity for registering a claim
Appreciate 0