E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Not much goin on here tonight eh

11-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #23
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Looking fwd to the weekend. Had a bit of a crappy week, some muppet hit the back of my car and drove off. Then went to the bodyshop to book it in and on the way back something hit my screen and left me with 3 chips.

Not my week, just want to forget it to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
...Much worse things happen in life so I am trying to be philosophical about it. It's in next Wednesday so it will be all sorted by the end of the week.
:sad0147: Ouch! You expect stone chips and so on as time goes on, but that's painful.

As you say about all you can do is be philosophical about it, get it done properly as soon as you can and just try to ignore it until then.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #24
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Thanks Gibbo. Yes Mum is only 3/4 mile away and would be staying in the same area. She's seen a bungalow & I've had a nosey. It ticks all the right boxes as they say, so time will tell.

Good news that you know one of the guys at the garage, which as you say has some quality cars in. It will be nice to leave your car there knowing that a professional job will be carried out. Peace of mind counts for alot I believe.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #25
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Thanks Gibbo. Yes Mum is only 3/4 mile away and would be staying in the same area. She's seen a bungalow & I've had a nosey. It ticks all the right boxes as they say, so time will tell.

Good news that you know one of the guys at the garage, which as you say has some quality cars in. It will be nice to leave your car there knowing that a professional job will be carried out. Peace of mind counts for alot I believe.
Yes, I agree it's so hard to get ay service in the UK nowadays. Good luck with the bungalow it sound very positive and if your mum can see herself living there it's half the battle.

I hope she can adjust and start to rebuild her life going forward.
      11-22-2007, 04:57 PM   #26
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
:sad0147: Ouch! You expect stone chips and so on as time goes on, but that's painful.

As you say about all you can do is be philosophical about it, get it done properly as soon as you can and just try to ignore it until then.
thanks
      11-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #27
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Gibbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #28
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Gibbo.
If your Mum is down sizing, watch out for the trauma of losing possessions. If furniture and belongings have to go it will be traumatic as our senior family members treasure them for the memories far more than we realize.

I speak from experience and just wish to raise a warning flag. Hopefully it won't be an issue
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #29
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Jason. She is pretty level headed and has already had quite a ruthless clear out. My Mother & all of us had a few months to come to terms with the inevitable outcome shall we say. Her biggest worry TBH is whether to sell the property in France or not. French inheritance laws, capital gains tax etc. are as you may know, different to the UK. I think I've sussed it now. Got to know quite alot about French law...yawn, yawn.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #30
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Jason. She is pretty level headed and has already had quite a ruthless clear out. My Mother & all of us had a few months to come to terms with the inevitable outcome shall we say. Her biggest worry TBH is whether to sell the property in France or not. French inheritance laws, capital gains tax etc. are as you may know, different to the UK. I think I've sussed it now. Got to know quite alot about French law...yawn, yawn.

The French are perverse from what I understand in that the property inherited has to be co-owned by the beneficiaries for a period of time before being sold
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 05:50 PM   #31
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Yes how French. It appears that there is no time limit imposed on selling the property for the beneficiaries. Own for 5 years & no inheritance is due for the main beneficiary ie. my Mum. There is more to it than that but obviously it's quite convoluted. The most blatant part of their civil law approach to property ownership is the fact that they do not recognise trustees/wills/probate as per English law. The shares of the property must be divisible to any children of the deceased thus reducing the proportionate share due to the spouse. The French do not even recognise the legal estate and beneficial interest relating to private trusts of land. English law is far more straight forward in this respect, although our capital gains tax and inheritance tax are much higher than the French. C'est la vie.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 09:04 PM   #32
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Evening Carlos,

Where did you go this afternoon Carlos - I put 'shite hole' into Google maps and it didn't recognise it
I put it in too.. it came up with Barrow-in-Furness. Followed by Baghdad, although there was the subtext that it was more a 'hole in the ground' rather than a 'shite hole'.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #33
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
I put it in too.. it came up with Barrow-in-Furness. Followed by Baghdad, although there was the subtext that it was more a 'hole in the ground' rather than a 'shite hole'.