E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Spider Tuning Box 318D ED Review

06-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #23
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
So whats the difference between the Spider Tuning Box from Diesel Tuning Systems, and the Diesel Tuning Systems box?

Both are the same company but with slightly different websites. Both use the same shopping cart (add something to the basket at dieseltuning.co.uk and it appears in the shopping cart at dieseltuner.co.uk)

But for the same box there's £70 difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 03:56 AM   #24
webby318dEMS
Spider powered!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318d Edition M Sport saloon

I asked about that when I phoned them up. Apparently the Spider box is more advanced as it has the Adaptiscan system which the other box doesn't.
      06-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #25
monkeynuts
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d SE

Hi all...

Read with interest the comments about jumper settings as have played around with mine quite a bit. Mine currently has revs on pin 6 and power on pin 8 (in both cases, this is out of 9).

I have to say that I found changing the power setting on mine (supplied from factory, I think it was on pin 3 or 4) didn't make very big difference - even on pin 8! I haven't yet tried pin 9 as I don't want to push things too far.

The rev pin is the one the makes the most noticable difference. For a long time, I had mine on pin 7 as it seemed to give the most linear power delivery. The other week though, I moved it back to pin 5. This produced an immediate and noticable improvement in low down power and made the car feel quicker in a way that no previous changes had ever managed. Now though, it is as though the ECU has learned to compansate for the change as it feels more like it did before!

After around 6 months, a lot of tweeking and a lot of miles, if I'm honest I'm a bit dubious about the gains. This is backed up by the fact that I could barely pull away from on 05 Audi 2.0TDi the other week - and this was at in-gear speeds. Also, I could only just keep up with a 58 Audi 2.0TDi (170bhp I think) at motoray speeds the other week - I know mine's going to be heavier, but surely it can't be 195bhp if it's that much of a close run thing?

Haven't gotten round to taking it off yet - I guess that's the real test.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #26
monkeynuts
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d SE

Took mine off and there is a noticable difference - but not amazingly noticable... I noticed a lack of urgency from low revs but in the upper range it didn't feel massively different. Main thing I noticed was that it wasn't as smooth at low revs.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #27
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

I have a spider box on my 320d, must say it does deliver a noticable difference. I fitted it and ran the car for approx 200 miles. I came down the road a few months back and reset the trip computer to see if my consumption improved, on the motorway at the 'legal' limit I was showing 60.7mpg when I pulled into the driveway. I thought this was excellent. The drive around town is much more lazy, put it in 3rd and forget about tit as the torque is low down. This is my second box (since royal mail 'misplaced' my last one) and both have been impressive.
Appreciate 0