E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Problems with paintwork..

07-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 Valencia Orange 1M

Problems with paintwork..

hI guys,

Ive always been keen on keeping on top of my cars paintwork, but one thing ive noticed is that bird poop is staining the paint in a way ive never known with any other car ive owned. Even my Nissan Navara's crappy paintwork doesnt stain even if the poops been left on there for days..

The car is regularly detailed, clayed, megs 3 stage plus Colonite....

30 mins after bird poop touches the paintwork the stain thats left behind is a right ball ache to remove, which usually results in using a fine cutting polish only to find that after 30 mins of polishing the stains are still there.

Ive never known paint stain so easily and so deeply...

Anyone else had similar problems?

Looks like my idea to wrap the car is going to go ahead sooner than i thought at this rate.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Jules6
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Garage List
Yeah it's not great especially if seagull poo.

I use a damp terry cloth with Megs Scratch X. You have to apply quite a bit of effort .Wipe off remnants and turn cloth between applications as it is a diminishing polish ie the particles get smaller as it works and it'll dilute the next application. After 5 to 10 applications it should be gone then apply Megs polish followed by wax.

I've never really had this problem before my E92.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I thought that was the whole point of wax or a sealent?

I have baby wipes in my car I use the second I see shyt on my car, but it seems to leave a mark like you described, I am hoping that once my car is pro detailed that some kind of protectant can be put on paint to help avoid the staining.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 03:02 AM   #4
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

2 coats of wax, and it should just wipe off? Certainly does on mine ?
      07-03-2009, 03:44 AM   #5
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Water based paints are more susceptible to bird lime etching. Unfortunately, no wax or sealant is going to protect completely against the damage. Some say that sealants such as zaino, Jetseal etc.. offer a bit more protection, but ultimately you are still going to see the damage.

Autoglym have started to do "Bird Lime Wipes" but in my opinion they are a gimmick more than anything else.

I've found too that leaving insect remains on the car in this heat is having a similar effect.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 Valencia Orange 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
2 coats of wax, and it should just wipe off? Certainly does on mine ?
must have 2 or 3 coats of collonite,plus AG Super resin,plus Megs#21 too

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh View Post
Water based paints are more susceptible to bird lime etching. Unfortunately, no wax or sealant is going to protect completely against the damage. Some say that sealants such as zaino, Jetseal etc.. offer a bit more protection, but ultimately you are still going to see the damage.

Autoglym have started to do "Bird Lime Wipes" but in my opinion they are a gimmick more than anything else.

I've found too that leaving insect remains on the car in this heat is having a similar effect.
Looks like im just going to have to put up with it then
Appreciate 0