E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > HELP! wheel out of alignment badly after changing springs and shock

04-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
pguan
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i

HELP! wheel out of alignment badly after changing springs and shock

Hi

I installed the structs and springs. I have three issues.

1) I visually inspected the 4 tires, they see them may have negative camber, toe in/out. Basically, by visually inspect the wheels, they don't feel right.

2) My steering wheel is not centered. When I drive straight, I have to keep my steering wheel turn 20 degrees to the right to maintain straight line.

3) My brake and tire pressure lights are on. Is it because I disconnected the those wires during struct installation, and I should reset them? BTW, I did not reset these sensors yet.

One important information:

I think I did one thing wrong. When I worked on the driver side struct, I loosen the bolts on the front control arms, and to make my job a little bit easier, I rotate the wheels to the right to give me more space. Then I changed the struct on both sides. When I tightened the control arm bolts on both sides, I forgot to turn the wheels back to straight, and then I tightened all control arm bolts with wheels to the right. I don't know if that will affect alignment, steering wheel direction.
I followed this video:

If so, can I go ahead and loosen the bolts on the control arm, make my steering wheel straight, and re-tighten those bolts?

I visited a tire shop and they said that
for the rear, they can fix toe in/out problem, but there is only limited room for them to adjust camber, and they don't know if they can fix the camber
for the front, they can fix toe in/out problem, but there is no adjustment they can do to the camber.
Is that true?

How do you guys do the alignment and where can you do it? I am in san jose, CA, any reliable shop to recommend?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 08:48 PM   #2
Nader83
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i

Go to dinan in Campbell and ask for Matt.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:16 PM   #3
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pguan View Post
Hi

I installed the structs and springs. I have three issues.

1) I visually inspected the 4 tires, they see them may have negative camber, toe in/out. Basically, by visually inspect the wheels, they don't feel right.

2) My steering wheel is not centered. When I drive straight, I have to keep my steering wheel turn 20 degrees to the right to maintain straight line.

3) My brake and tire pressure lights are on. Is it because I disconnected the those wires during struct installation, and I should reset them? BTW, I did not reset these sensors yet.

One important information:

I think I did one thing wrong. When I worked on the driver side struct, I loosen the bolts on the front control arms, and to make my job a little bit easier, I rotate the wheels to the right to give me more space. Then I changed the struct on both sides. When I tightened the control arm bolts on both sides, I forgot to turn the wheels back to straight, and then I tightened all control arm bolts with wheels to the right. I don't know if that will affect alignment, steering wheel direction.

Well, did you torque to spec with wheels at the normal ride height?

Do you have lowering springs?
Appreciate 0