E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Advice?

04-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport/Auto/Luxury

Advice?

I read the whole recommendations thread and my research continues, but

My stock suspension is going out - a shock is actually leaking. Instead of forcing the replacement under CPO, I'm considering doing a full suspension workup. Well, by which I mean springs/shocks.

I come from the EM and FD world, so I've dealt with front and rear drive cars, both econoboxes and real sports cars (in a way the E92 won't ever be *cough*pig*cough*). My understanding has always been that the only advantage of coilovers over regular springs was adjustability - you can raise and lower your car by adjusting the coilovers. After all, aren't coilovers just springs in an adjustable compression perch? Adjustable shocks are something that is separate from your spring decision.

What do I want?

I want a daily drivable car (on mediocre roads, Austin's no winner on the public works side).
I want reduced float at high speeds (135+).
I want slightly tighter feel in the steering.
I want a car I can autocross (half a dozen times a year, tops).
I want a car I can do an occasional track day in (a few times a year).
Most importantly, I want minimal ride quality sacrifice.

Money isn't that important a factor, but obviously matters - I've no desire to pay $1,000 more for a 5% increase in handling.

I'm currently on stock sport wheels with runflats (yeah, I know, but there's a story and it's kinda hilarious, but in short when I get ready to buy new tires I inevitably receive a pair of new runflats for $75). I intend to move to a 19" wheel with similarly profiled tire, and I recognize that the smaller profile will cost me ride quality, but I like the look enough to make the sacrifice.

To put it in perspective, my goal is 500whp - I have an FMIC and a chargepipe/BOV in the trunk (in addition to the Cobb, ardesign catted downpipe, and BMS DCI already installed), and once they're installed I'll be doing a protune with Wedge. That's the extent of my power goals for a long while. I have another FD to buy, after all.

So what do you think, fellas?
      04-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

I suggest m3 front control arms, m3 front sway, m3 rear subframe bushings (a must), and Koni adjustable yellows with Swift Spec R Springs. I did research based on wanting the same type of end result for the same reasons as you. This was my conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport/Auto/Luxury

That sounds both highly involved and expensive. While I don't have a fixed budget, how much are we talkin' here?