E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Heated Seat Retrofit

04-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #177
E90inSC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 328i

This is list on Ebay. Search for e90 heated seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #178
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Anyone who is interested, I am selling the retrofit kit I bought at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130671949405...#ht_843wt_1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90inSC View Post
Like Booster, I bought the parts and did not get them installed before my car was in an accident. Car is gone, but I have the kit for retrofitting the heated seats in an E-90 including the switches, cover plate, heating elements, etc.

If anyone is interested, I would like to sell the kit. I have about $600 invested in everything. Any reasonable offer would be accepted. All OEM parts.
GLWS of your kits!

I finally have all my parts but haven't had time yet as I was rebuilding the calipers on my other car. We also had 80 degree weather last weekend
      04-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #179
Relentless335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i M Package

Did anybody have any luck?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #180
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
Let us know how it goes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
yeps sorry , i am having the leather with heating elements fitted as we speak
Then i just need to put the wiring together , and it hopefully will be done
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Great to hear! My parts on on order and due by about 4/15. I plan to do the leather myself too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless335i View Post
Did anybody have any luck?
OK, a long overdue update on my progress. First of all I managed to obtain a DVD of BMW TIS from 12/2007 from an Ebay seller. Installation of the SW was a little tricky on my Windows 7 64-bit machine as TIS has to run under a virtual windows XP. I was able to obtain all of the service procedures for seat removal and disassembly. However there were a few discrepancies that probably relate to the age of my TIS version. To my knowledge a newer version is not available outside of the BMW dealer.

I completed the driver seat upgrade over the weekend. Too many steps to list and it's basically covered in TIS but there were a few extra things. I needed to adjust the seatback from fully flat (needed for removal / installation of the seat bottom cushion) to full upright (needed to remove seat back panel). The side airbag had to be removed (two 10mm nuts inside the seat and I left the electrical dangling). I removed the seat bottom cushion completely but did not (could not) remove the headrest so I just pulled the seatback cushion inside out to work on it. The thigh support cushion was removed but the leather remains attached at the end away from the seat edge.

The thigh support was first. The heating element is adhered to the cushion and the wire harness snaps into a slot in the frame.

The seat bottom cushion had 12 visible hog rings to cut. After doing that there are several hog rings that have to be accessed by folding back the leather and reaching down into the channels in the cushion. The sides have to be done first, then the retaining wires are pulled from their sleeves and then the leather can be folded in the other direction to access the hog rings in the horizontal channels. After releasing all the hog rings and pulling out the remnants, the heating element can be adhered to the seat cushion. The leather is reattached as a reversal of the former steps. The vertical channels are done after re-inserting the retaining wires. Lastly the leather is pulled around the edges and the 12 rings are installed on the bottom. There is a hole in the foam to accomodate the wire harness.

The seatback is done similarly however all the hog rings are hidden in channels. First the verticals, then pulling the retaining wires, then the horizontal ones. The heating element is adhered as before and the leather is re-attached with new hog rings. I had to take care to position the foam after having turned the leather inside out to access the last hog rings.

After completing the seat assembly I installed the seat back in the car and made the mistake of turning on the car without all electrical re-connected which set off an error in the seatbelt / airbag system. I was able to clear the error using my OBDII cable and INPA.

Seat heating on the driver side is now fully functional

Last edited by JimVR4; 07-10-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #181
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

You can use the TIS on win7...I do.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #182
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka
You can use the TIS on win7...I do.
I don't think TIS can run under 64 bit Win 7 though.
      08-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #183
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep

My passenger seat has been done for some time and I intend to update this thread with a complete description of the wiring and seat upgrades.
      01-31-2013, 02:51 AM   #184
empireurn
Rep
Drives: BMW

heated seat looms E90

hi all, the listing referred to is gone, someone in Czech repunlic is selling them for 61 euros, anyone know a reasonable UK seller..?! cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #185
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
OK so I finally did the retrofit after all this time.

For the e92, both the driver side and passenger side seats have the big seat module where the heated seats are controlled via canbus (on sedans, it's on the driver side seat). This means that there is no coding required if you replace for the e92's. It's just plug and play.

Hardest part of it all is installing the heating elements. It's a major royal pain in the a$$. To whoever that is thinking about doing it, it's very very time consuming. I seriously want to stress that it's very time & labor intensive!

After the elements are installed, it's just a matter of swapping out the seat module. No new harness are required or wiring. For the e92, it's just install elements and upgrade the seat module to ones that are meant for heated. Plug in the new switch panel and you're done.

If you get stuck on seat dis-assembly, PM me and I can give you some pointers.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #186
rickboot
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

smallseafishie, thanks for the update on the E92 retrofit.

I've got a 2011 M3 with sport seats and memory that I want to retrofit with heated seats.

Can you tell me the part number of the module? Is it 61356926433 ?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #187
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

Hi guys a just retrofitted some e92 m3 seats into my e92 and the m3 seats have heating however my car standard didn't have heating, what will i need to retrofit?
My standard PDC and heated seat panel only had PDC, however i do have a PDC + Heated seat panel at home.
What is involved for my self for the fit?
Cheers,
Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #188
m9bm
Bad Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d fake M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100 View Post
Hi guys a just retrofitted some e92 m3 seats into my e92 and the m3 seats have heating however my car standard didn't have heating, what will i need to retrofit?
My standard PDC and heated seat panel only had PDC, however i do have a PDC + Heated seat panel at home.
What is involved for my self for the fit?
Cheers,
Tom
I am interested in the answer to this as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 04:05 AM   #189
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

For coding there is an official retrofit path in the old BMW SSS, but if this doesn't work i.e. it recognises that you have sports seats and blocks it, you can manually code the VO, I did it here on an E46:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...op-gt1-37.html

I have bought a non-sport seat heating retrofit kit for cars with nav and electric seats, so I will be trying this retrofit on my sport seats. I have also ordered new leather, so I am hoping that the elements are sewn in, if not I will buy the cloth seat elements and fit those.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #190
rufsen
Registered
Rep
Drives: Manta

Quote:
Originally Posted by r200teg View Post
thanks for the reply, i'm afraid I just don't have heated seats, both seats have the large seat module, but i'm missing 2 connections on both:

the circled connections are the ones for seat heating
allthough, the seller claimed the seats were heated, it was a breaker who said he even has the "control panel" with the two heating buttons coming out of the same car. I just can't believe it...

can someone with heated seats check if he also misses those 2 connections ? But I'm afraid all heated seats will have them.
Can anyone confirm that these are the connectors for the heating on the drivers seat? What about the passenger seat?

Which wires are ground and +12 on the modules outlets (seats are from an Z4 E89 2010)? I'm retrofitting these in an older car without canbus, therefore the question. My plan is to "hot-wire" the seat heating with an aftermarket external switch/relay. Any ideas, could anyone measure the outlets with a multimeter while enabling seat heating?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 03:20 AM   #191
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

I have started my retrofit and fully stripped the seats to their frame today. I purchased new seat leathers with the heating elements already sewn in them, however the thigh support leather does not come with the heating element sewn in. So I ordered the thigh support heating element as a spare part and found that the connector plug on the thigh support element will not mate to the plug on the seat base. So I have sourced new plugs to replace the one on the thigh support and will continue the retrofit.

The white plug is what comes on the heating element base. The black plug is what you get on the thigh support.

Can anybody show me a photo of where the thigh support plug clips in to the frame?
Attached Images

Last edited by NBTBRV8; 03-15-2015 at 04:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #192
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

on the bottom side if thigh support, in metal plate
      03-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #193
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
on the bottom side if thigh support, in metal plate
There is a large hole that the wiring goes through, but it is recessed in the plate, so I don't know what type of clip it would need.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 12:42 AM   #194
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

I finished fitting my new seat covers today with the heating elements sewn in. However the EBA instructions don't seem to be correct:

The instructions vary for cars without option SA459 only elec seat adj memory, and cars without SA459 only.

They go on to say for E90 cars without SA459 only, I take this as cars with 459 and 609, the following parts are required 2 x small seat modules and 2 x module holders, yet the retrofit kit only comes with the one small and one large.

I ordered a second small module based on the above, but when I went to fit the small module in its holder to the drivers seat, there is no way it would fit next to the already installed large module. When I compared the large module that came with the retrofit kit, to what was already installed in my seat, I saw that the were three plug ports without pin outs in my car, but the large module that came with the retrofit kit had pin outs in those ports.

Given that you could not mount the small module on the underside of the seat next to the already large module fitted on the driver's side, I changed over my large module with the large module supplied within the retrofit kit.

I have therefore just fitted the small module to the passenger's seat, once I worked out how to get the thigh support off. FYI, to remove the thigh support you would need to remove the seat base, stick a screwdriver in from the back and pry the plastic barb back below the spring as per this link/photo here: http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30826

So to recap, the instructions say to fit two small modules to the seats for cars with elec seats and nav, but the retrofit kit only comes with a big and small module, not two small. The small module just doesn't have enough room to screw in properly next to the large module on the drivers side, so it appears as though you just fit the large module supplied in the kit.

Reading the EBA it says I don't need to code the driver's module first, I should just be able to go to the seat heating retrofit path in the SSS and code.

I still can't work out how the clip under the thigh support is meant to clip in to the hole the wires come through. The little plastic tab just goes to break off everytime you try to slide it in.

The EBA guide is here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/126894347/...etrofit#scribd
Attached Images

Last edited by NBTBRV8; 03-21-2015 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 02:05 AM   #195
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTBRV8 View Post
I finished fitting my new seat covers today with the heating elements sewn in. However the EBA instructions don't seem to be correct:

The instructions vary for cars without option SA459 only elec seat adj memory, and cars without SA459 only.

They go on to say for E90 cars without SA459 only, I take this as cars with 459 and 609, the following parts are required 2 x small seat modules and 2 x module holders, yet the retrofit kit only comes with the one small and one large.

I ordered a second small module based on the above, but when I went to fit the small module in its holder to the drivers seat, there is no way it would fit next to the already installed large module. When I compared the large module that came with the retrofit kit, to what was already installed in my seat, I saw that the were three plug ports without pin outs in my car, but the large module that came with the retrofit kit had pin outs in those ports.

Given that you could not mount the small module on the underside of the seat next to the already large module fitted on the driver's side, I changed over my large module with the large module supplied within the retrofit kit.

I have therefore just fitted the small module to the passenger's seat, once I worked out how to get the thigh support off. FYI, to remove the thigh support you would need to remove the seat base, stick a screwdriver in from the back and pry the plastic barb back below the spring as per this link/photo here: http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30826

So to recap, the instructions say to fit two small modules to the seats for cars with elec seats and nav, but the retrofit kit only comes with a big and small module, not two small. The small module just doesn't have enough room to screw in properly next to the large module on the drivers side, so it appears as though you just fit the large module supplied in the kit.

Reading the EBA it says I don't need to code the driver's module first, I should just be able to go to the seat heating retrofit path in the SSS and code.

I still can't work out how the clip under the thigh support is meant to clip in to the hole the wires come through. The little plastic tab just goes to break off everytime you try to slide it in.

The EBA guide is here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/126894347/...etrofit#scribd
Ok, so firstly, the clip shown in my photos above comes on the thigh support heating element wiring loom and can't be ordered as a spare part. To fit it correctly you need to clip in place UNDER the foam, NOT UNDER the metal seat frame for the thigh support. Also make sure you get it so it clamps the electrical plug in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 02:38 AM   #196
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

Right, so I have everything installed and in, new seat leathers on and wiring loom in.

My car is an ECE car and I found that the short seat loom for the drivers side i.e. the loom that runs from the under seat plug to the seat module on my seat had two extra thick wires, but the EBA said to tie the original one back and use the one supplied with the kit. If I did that the new retrofit loom would not have included the two extra thick wires already in my seat which I am guessing is something to do with the sports seat as this retrofit kit and instructions is for a non-port seat car. After checking the wiring colours and pin outs between my existing seat loom and the retrofit loom, I found that the retrofit loom had two extra wires which my loom didn't have (excluding the two mentioned above). So I unwound the retrofit loom and disconnected these two wires and taped these two wires together making a small retrofit loom and inserted them in my my existing seat plug.

The EBA says to fit the thick red and brown wire to the plug under the drivers seat in the retrofit loom that runs to the fuse box, but I found that I already had these colours in that plug at those same pins, so I just tied them back and ended up just having to connect in a couple of wires to my plug on that side out of the retrofit loom. The passengers side was different, I needed to connect everything in.

Getting the fuse box down was a PIA. The only way I found on my RHD car to get to the top right hand screw, was to undo the bracket holding the heater in place that sits directly in front of the fuse box and then get the head of a 3/8 extension and force it in between the bracket on the car and the heater which twisted the heater down enough to get a clear view of that screw.

I have coded the car with the BMW SSS software as attached. When I press the button on the centre console to turn it on, it lights up for about 5 seconds then turns off. So I found I have an issue. The SMBF (passengers seat module) isn't responding. I have checked that I have power at the fuse box, and at the seat plug under the seat. I also have a good earth under the seat, so the module is powered.

But the car can't find the module, when I run the DIS on it, it shows a fault. so if I have power and and earth, it must be one of the other two wires, one of which is the CAN BUS, but I am not sure how to check that. Ignore the other error shown in the DIS screen shot, I had the potentiometer disconnected from my centre console.

Any clues before I take it in to the dealer? I am really close to getting this all going.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 12:07 AM   #197
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

An update:
I took the car to the dealers and they said that they checked the wiring and came to the conclusion that more than likely it was a faulty passenger's seat module. I thought this would be really unlucky to have a brand new module fail, but I ordered a new one and I still have the same fault, the car won't recognise it as being plugged in.

I have double checked all the circuits for continuity from the JBE or fuse box to the plugs that plug in to the seat module itself. I have also checked the seat heating elements for continuity, the power supply and the earth, all are ok.

So I am at a loss, the only thing I will say is that the blu/wht can wire from the JBE to the module doesn't seem to have any electrical signal that I could pick up, but the other can wire seemed to have constant power. I also ran a switch test in the DIS to check the button and that worked fine.

I am changing my JBE next weekend and will code that in to the car to see if that makes a difference, but at this point there is some electronic fault that won't allow the car to see the SMBF passenger seat module.

The other thing I guess is that the module is too new for my old SSS software, so it doesn't recognise it when looking for it to code. However if that was the case I should still be able to see it in the DIS when I go to manually operate the module, but I can't. So I am not convinced it is a coding issue.

If the new JBE doesn't fix it, it will be back in to the dealers again for an in depth investigation.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 05:20 AM   #198
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep

My issue has been partially resolved. There is no passenger seat module, the JBE controls the seat heating and sends the signal to the small seat heating module. I was assuming that there was and trying to get the DIS computer to find a SMBF module when there wasn't one as the JBE does the work.

The issue I have is that the new BMW thigh supports don't come with the heating elements sewn in them like the rest of the leather. So I ordered the "64117138803 Heater element, thigh bolster, Sport" but as shown above, the plugs were different between the base and the thigh elements. So I bought a new female plug and changed it over so they mated together, but my lights switched straight off.

Through trial and error the dealer and I were able to work out that the reason for the fault is that when the thigh support is connected to the base (as it should be), the ohm resistance the computer is expecting is too low. When you disconnect the thigh support it works fine. Therefore I am guessing that I need to buy the "64116954171 Heater element, thigh support". I will have to get one and look at the plug. If this doesn't fit/work then BMW have a spare parts problem.

I will report back.
Appreciate 0