E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No air coming out from vents

09-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
e90will
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f30 320iA

No air coming out from vents

Hello guys,

The blower on my car is not working. When I turn on the fan either high or low (a/c or the heat) nothing is coming out from the vents. It seems the a/c compressor works fine bcuz when i turn on the a/c, i can hear the compressor activating.

Does this mean i need a new blower? Also, wanted to find out if this is something i can replace myself on my own & any tips greatly appreciated.

Having no cool air in this hot summer weather is no fun

Thanks, Will
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

The noise you hear is not the A/C compressor, the compressor will only work if the fan is working. If you drive at speed with vents open and recirculation option off, does air come through vents?

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
e90will
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

no, there's no air coming from the vents.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90will View Post
no, there's no air coming from the vents.
your cabin filter is chokedprobably with pollen and general dustwith a little rain or humidity it stops all air comming in, pull it out, if it is a foam one just wash and dry well or replace if a paper one, you should find everything then works.
Kev.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

You need a blower motor or blower motor module, a plugged cabin filter will not stop the blower from blowing.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J02 335i View Post
You need a blower motor or blower motor module, a plugged cabin filter will not stop the blower from blowing.
If the air sensor can't detect airflow the fan will not opperate, that said, depends on the age of the car, the same sensor detects if fan working to activate the A/C if no fan, no A/C

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZURICH View Post
If the air sensor can't detect airflow the fan will not opperate, that said, depends on the age of the car, the same sensor detects if fan working to activate the A/C if no fan, no A/C
So your basically saying that idling your car ie no air movement your blower and A/C will not work. Don't think so.

Either way Ive never seen a plugged cabin filter.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
trk06
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: with no spare

there is nothing wrong with your ac if your compressor is running and you got no air coming from your vents do the following.
remove your cabin filter and all other parts that cover around it. once removed you will see a hole about 3''x6'' on the passenger side, use a flashlight and look through. you should see flaps that allows the airflow to in to your cabin. make sure they are open.

sometimes they close when a forcefull current applied or sudden air impact. when you open them you should be good to go.
      09-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Me_Hi
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: *

It's actually a resistor that needs to be changed.. I remember reading something similar on the forum ...
      09-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #10
e90will
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up Got it fixed

Thank you guys for the feedback. Now i can stay cool

I also did some other checks on the car & found out it was the blower regulator (the resistor) that was defective. I just went out & bought the new part from a friend i know at my local dealer and got it fixed.

Spent a few hours in doing it myself after finding other threads that provided the instructions on getting it replaced... Also want to give big thanks to member "Eninty" for providing detailed instructions on replacing it:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=blower
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #11
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90will View Post
Thank you guys for the feedback. Now i can stay cool

I also did some other checks on the car & found out it was the blower regulator (the resistor) that was defective. I just went out & bought the new part from a friend i know at my local dealer and got it fixed.

Spent a few hours in doing it myself after finding other threads that provided the instructions on getting it replaced... Also want to give big thanks to member "Eninty" for providing detailed instructions on replacing it:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=blower
I should get paid for all the stuff I help you guys fix.

JK...

Glad it was something simple. It's rare for the resistor pack to fail on the E90. E30's used to lose them all the time, but that was a different design.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
trk06
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: with no spare

never heard the resistor gone bad with e9x. glad it was something simple.
      09-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J02 335i View Post
So your basically saying that idling your car ie no air movement your blower and A/C will not work. Don't think so.

Either way Ive never seen a plugged cabin filter.
some peopls are soooo dense Fan "squirell type" switched on lack of available supply air raises current draw on motor this is detected and opperation canceled. got it? No, ok block all the air inputs to your vacuum cleaner and see what happens.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
some peopls are soooo dense Fan "squirell type" switched on lack of available supply air raises current draw on motor this is detected and opperation canceled. got it? No, ok block all the air inputs to your vacuum cleaner and see what happens.
It would never happen, I've been working on cars for 15 years (licensed tech for 10 years) and own a repair shop and have never seen this happen. Regardless of your crazy theory your still going to hear the blower trying to do something. Also I was right anyways about the problem, blower motor module/resistor. So we can put this thread to bed now.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Well, I guess considering the European models run on a different electrical voltage and current system it's possible, but here in the USA where the electrical system is normal, the blower motor will never stall...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #16
mrtwitch
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E39

Works for me!

Quote:
Hi Zurich, I have an e39 and have had trouble with my heater blower heating but not blowing. I removed the ducts and gave the fan a spin to check for bearing problems etc and was fine. Turned fan back on full again and worked!
.............for 10 mins.
I repeated the procedure but left off the ducts this time and tried every way i could to see if the fan failed again - I couldnt. Anyway to prove your point Zurich as correct, I reconnected the ducts and it failed straight away - opened up the cabin filters and after removing all the leaves I found absolutely black and dirty cabin filters underneath. Removed them to check they were the culprit and still working for a day or two without any filter at all whilst I wait for the postman to deliver a pair of new ones.
Basically, it was like my e39 couldnt breathe............
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #17
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtwitch View Post
Hi Zurich, ....
As Zurich hasn't posted to this forum in 3 years, I doubt he'll read your response.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #18
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Thanks for the DIY! For those wanting pictures, take a look at Pelican's tutorial. (Link at bottom).
Before you go buy a new $80 resistor, take a look at my images. I had damage from a short. The wires just above the connection into the resistor had damage. The insulation had melted off about an inch and had corrosion. My quick fix, cleaned off the corrosion and fed electrical tape between the wiring; encapsulating the damaged wire. Wrapped once more and reconnected everything. Voila!

Entire thing took maybe 15 minutes following the guide applying my fix. Hope it's that simple for you! Good luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech..._Replacing.htm
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 08:21 PM   #19
Bamaboy44
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Exclamation Same issues but ive replaced the blower and resistor and the fuse is intact

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I should get paid for all the stuff I help you guys fix.

JK...

Glad it was something simple. It's rare for the resistor pack to fail on the E90. E30's used to lose them all the time, but that was a different design.
Hey so i have an 06' 325i that had been sitting through the winter (about 4 months) and finally got her up and running again, but the blower motor isnt working, ive checked the fuse, ive checked under the cabin air filter and the louvers that close off outside air to the blower are working, ive replaced the blower motor with the resistor itself but i still have no air. Any temp and any speed i get nothin. I can hear the louvers opening when i turn the air up but no blow. Any ideas? Ive been dying to drive it again but if i cant defrost in the mornings before work its kinda hard.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #20
eaglephin
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjb View Post
Thanks for the DIY! For those wanting pictures, take a look at Pelican's tutorial. (Link at bottom).
Before you go buy a new $80 resistor, take a look at my images. I had damage from a short. The wires just above the connection into the resistor had damage. The insulation had melted off about an inch and had corrosion. My quick fix, cleaned off the corrosion and fed electrical tape between the wiring; encapsulating the damaged wire. Wrapped once more and reconnected everything. Voila!

Entire thing took maybe 15 minutes following the guide applying my fix. Hope it's that simple for you! Good luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech..._Replacing.htm
Was having same issue of blower motor not working. Changed the cabin air filter first. Nothing. Then began disassembling the panel below the glove box as outlined in the Pelican Parts article to get at the resistor and inspect it. When I took off the panel, the blower kicked on. Go figure.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2021, 08:06 PM   #21
Savage_Doze
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90

There is a recall for that issue where the faulty harness is frying the resistor and the blower.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 05:28 PM   #22
eaglephin
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Doze View Post
There is a recall for that issue where the faulty harness is frying the resistor and the blower.
I googled it and it says 2006-2011. Mine is a 2012. Anyway it's working now. For the time being. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0