E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > SE Front Aero Splitter Install Questions

05-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

SE Front Aero Splitter Install Questions

I recieved my SE front aero splitter a while ago and just got round to having some time to get it installed. It's the proper plastic one which slips over the existing SE bumper, however while the 3 bodyshops I have spoken to have all been happy to paint it, none of them are keen on trying to fit it.

I know from previous posts on here that most seemed to think it was a simple install and some have even used 3M double sided tape to attach it but the fitters I have spoken to aren't convinced and neither am I.

In order for the splitter to fit properly flush and all lines to match up correctly to the existing bumper, it needs to be pushed up and held with some force to prevent it slipping. All 3 have stated the 3M tape isn't sufficient to hold it in place and it will need to be bonded. However even bonding it the spliiter will need securing and firm pressure applied to it during the 24 hour bonding process to prevent it slipping out of true.

I have seen some pics of installs of other splitters and to be honest I wouldn't have been pleased with the results but then I am a bit of a perfectionist, I don't want the splitter to look like some tacky add on.

Can anyone advise on their experiences of getting this splitter installed or make any recommendations on where I could go to get this done properly in the North London area?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & Golf GTI Mk7.5

Not sure how mine is attached as I got it done by my dealer. No doubt cost me a bit extra but I was determined it would line up properly and they did a fantastic job. I imagine its bonded on rather than tape but can't be certain.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

It seems that all three of those "body shops" had no idea what they were talking about.

I fitted mine using No More Nails tape which is crazy strong in all conditions (rain, sun, hot, cold etc). It really is very easy to do.

A) Fix tape to the splitter in the little indented parts (have a look, you'll see what i mean). Make sure the bits you've stuck the tape to are clean etc
B) Remove screws from bottom of current bumper. These screws currently hold your bumper and undertray together.
C) Make sure current bumper is clean, unwaxed, dry.
D) Fix splitter to bumper using tape and hold for 1 minute firmly. Make sure you line it up properly. It's a 2 or 3 man job to do this part if you want to be 100% it's ok.
E) Fasten screws onto the underneath of the bumper again. The screws should now go through the splitter, bumper and undertray to provide a bit more hold on the splitter.

TOP TIP: before you start, have a look at the underside of your bumper so make sure all is in order. My bumper had been run over a couple of low kerbs and as such, the kerb ripped a couple of screws off and pull the undertray over the bumper in places which meant that this 30 minute job ended up taking 3 hours.

I did mine some 6 months ago and it hasn't moved a millimetre and has been through all sorts of conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep

Oh and i really don't rate 3M tape. Get No More Nails (red) tape from B&Q. It is stunning how much it can bond.

Apparently a strip of like 15 cm can hold 50kg of weight to a wall!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #5
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the tips subzero, I had bought the 3M tape but I'll try the NMN instead. I've given the splitter in to be sprayed now. Should get it back in a couple of days so I'll call a couple of mates round and have a go at the weekend.

I've checked the underneath and all the screws and undertray seem to be in place.

Just a few questions?

Does anything drop down and need to be held in place once the screws come off, i.e. do I need the car to be jacked up or up on ramps to do this?

Did you find it easy to line everything up correctly? I tried putting the splitter up against the bumper just to check fitment and it seemed that I needed to push fairly hard to get it to all to line up properly although admittedly this was done without undoing the screws.

Lastly did you use the tap in large strips or just smaller sections\tabs all along the bumper.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Send a message via MSN to m1bjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
It seems that all three of those "body shops" had no idea what they were talking about.

I fitted mine using No More Nails tape which is crazy strong in all conditions (rain, sun, hot, cold etc). It really is very easy to do.

A) Fix tape to the splitter in the little indented parts (have a look, you'll see what i mean). Make sure the bits you've stuck the tape to are clean etc
B) Remove screws from bottom of current bumper. These screws currently hold your bumper and undertray together.
C) Make sure current bumper is clean, unwaxed, dry.
D) Fix splitter to bumper using tape and hold for 1 minute firmly. Make sure you line it up properly. It's a 2 or 3 man job to do this part if you want to be 100% it's ok.
E) Fasten screws onto the underneath of the bumper again. The screws should now go through the splitter, bumper and undertray to provide a bit more hold on the splitter.

TOP TIP: before you start, have a look at the underside of your bumper so make sure all is in order. My bumper had been run over a couple of low kerbs and as such, the kerb ripped a couple of screws off and pull the undertray over the bumper in places which meant that this 30 minute job ended up taking 3 hours.

I did mine some 6 months ago and it hasn't moved a millimetre and has been through all sorts of conditions.
+1 totally agree.

I just refitted mine last month after a respray.
Previously it was bonded with some rubberised glue that I could not locate again.

So I also used the tape as above and its excellent.
You have to line it up well and wap it right into place quickly all in one go - no adjustment as it grips fast!

I found you only need the tape around the middle upright parts, the screws hold everything at the botton and sides perfectly.
Been to 155 a few times, and out in a storm. Not fallen off!

Steve.
      05-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
I've checked the underneath and all the screws and undertray seem to be in place.
That's good news!

Quote:
Does anything drop down and need to be held in place once the screws come off, i.e. do I need the car to be jacked up or up on ramps to do this?
Nope, the screws simply hold the undertray to the bumper. And since the undertray is sitting on the bumper, the undertray doesnt drop down or anything. If you see what i mean?

Quote:
Did you find it easy to line everything up correctly? I tried putting the splitter up against the bumper just to check fitment and it seemed that I needed to push fairly hard to get it to all to line up properly although admittedly this was done without undoing the screws.
Yep, was fairly easy. You need to put a little bit of force into it, but providing its the Genuine BMW splitter, the holes should line up nearly perfectly.

Quote:
Lastly did you use the tap in large strips or just smaller sections\tabs all along the bumper.
I found the splitter had little indented bits on the non painted side (side to stick to the bumper) and i assumed this is where the strips of tape went.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64480

See there. That's the thread i used and it was awesome.

Also, find attached to this post for the official BMW Aero kit fitting instructions. Just ignore the bits it mentions about the glue!

Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E92 Aero Kit.pdf (291.6 KB, 268 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Thanks Subzero, that is brilliant info. I bought the bumper from SSSD and it's a replica but from what I have read on here, it is an exact match for the OEM part, i.e. same material and measurements. They are ordered from Germany so they may even come out of the same factory.

At any rate all the bolt holes etc line up perfectly but I was more worried about the sides and the top of the splitter lining up correctly with the existing bumper. It seemed I had to put quite a bit of force\push the splitter to get it to line up correctly but this might be because I haven't screwed it in place. NMN tape and Windex to be purchased and assuming it doesn't rain this weekend, I'll be giving it a go. Thanks for all the info everyone, pics to follow post install!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Great thread!...you guys should open up a body shop!...I'll be your first customer!...
Appreciate 0