E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW-ConnectedDrive is cool

05-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #133
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Cool! Thats a new feature as they only allowed you to send business addresses before.

Would be so good if you could send proper co-ordinates to the unit as I find Google business addresses to be quite a bit off location.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #134
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
wow that is GREAT news...

I've been bodging it by locating my destination and just mailing the nearest business address I can find.

And I find the addresses to be pretty accurate !?

SJ
      05-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #135
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
wow that is GREAT news...

I've been bodging it by locating my destination and just mailing the nearest business address I can find.

And I find the addresses to be pretty accurate !?

SJ
When can I have a word with someone at Google Maps, James, via your brother?

Viv

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #136
Jools
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d SE Edition

Garage List
BMW Assist (UK)

Hi

Just recieved my bew 320d Touring - with the Pro Bluetooth/SatNav

I've looked through some of the posts regarding BMW Assist and to see how it works and what people use it for, but there isn't that much on the forum regarding it. Looks like in the US BMW Assist can unlock the door if you've locked your keys in - not sure if that is a UK feature......

So I was wondering

Do you use BMW Assist? - not for breakdown, but for "Where's the nearest Supermarket" type questions.

What sort of things can they find? - For example will they tell you whats on at the local cinema whilst they are sending you the directions?

Whats the best/funniest thing you've asked them for?

I'm planning to try it out some time this week.... I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers
Jools

edit: Thanks for moving my post - I was searching for "Assist" not "Connected Drive"

Last edited by Jools; 06-16-2008 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #137
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Viv is the man to ask.

For my part I just tend to use the google maps send to car feature to sort out my destination before leaving the house.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #138
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Viv, can you give me a demonstration of BMW Assist at UK6?

I've completed my application form so hopefully it will be active soon...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #139
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
Viv, can you give me a demonstration of BMW Assist at UK6?

I've completed my application form so hopefully it will be active soon...
No problem, Paul.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #140
jw2000
Private
Tokelau
Rep
Drives: 330d

BMW Online

How do you access BMW online on the idrive?

I also have the BMW assist on another car. I use the same mobile (obviously) but when the user name is my mobile number, how does it know which car I am in and to send the google postcode to?

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #141
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2000 View Post
How do you access BMW online on the idrive?

I also have the BMW assist on another car. I use the same mobile (obviously) but when the user name is my mobile number, how does it know which car I am in and to send the google postcode to?

Regarding BMW Assist- After you've registered for ConnectedDrive & have updated your services in the BMW Assist menu, you can send Google Map locations straight to the car.

The username you use to access the ConnectedDrive website can be changed to anything you like- the mobile number you registered with BMW Assist is just so that any account changes & texts sent from the ConnectedDrive website, can be sent to your own mobile phone, irrespective of the username they set-up for you initially.

The car has its own SIM & mobile number, which is registered with BMW when the services are initiated. Your own personal mobile number/username has NOTHING to do with the (hidden) phone number for the car.

When you send a Google Map location to your car, using your current mobile number account name, Google sends the info to ConnectedDrive online, which then forwards the data as an encoded SMS to your car's SIM, which has its own hidden mobile number, as already mentioned.

The info you've sent to your car can then be downloaded in the car by using the BMW Assist Menu -> My Info

Hope this is of some help.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 03:37 AM   #142
jw2000
Private
Tokelau
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Regarding BMW Assist- After you've registered for ConnectedDrive & have updated your services in the BMW Assist menu, you can send Google Map locations straight to the car.

The username you use to access the ConnectedDrive website can be changed to anything you like- the mobile number you registered with BMW Assist is just so that any account changes & texts sent from the ConnectedDrive website, can be sent to your own mobile phone, irrespective of the username they set-up for you initially.

The car has its own SIM & mobile number, which is registered with BMW when the services are initiated. Your own personal mobile number/username has NOTHING to do with the (hidden) phone number for the car.

When you send a Google Map location to your car, using your current mobile number account name, Google sends the info to ConnectedDrive online, which then forwards the data as an encoded SMS to your car's SIM, which has its own hidden mobile number, as already mentioned.

The info you've sent to your car can then be downloaded in the car by using the BMW Assist Menu -> My Info

Hope this is of some help.

All the best.

Viv
The username for my other BMW account is my mobile number which i put in to google map. I suppose they have to give me another user name other than my mobile number to make sure it goes to the right car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #143
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2000 View Post
The username for my other BMW account is my mobile number which i put in to google map. I suppose they have to give me another user name other than my mobile number to make sure it goes to the right car.
Each car that has Assist will need to be set-up with an individual user name, by BMW, & each account will need to be registered with a personal mobile number, for the reasons I've already mentioned. There is no reason why both accounts can't have the same registered number, but each account must have an individual user name & password.

You can change your account's user name yourself- go here, login as normal -> 'Profile & settings' -> 'Change user name' :

Name:  bmw.gif
Views: 291
Size:  19.5 KB

So, if you have 2 different cars, each with its own ConnectedDrive account, you could change the user names to something like 'jw1' (from your original mobile number user name) & the second account can be changed to 'jw2', for example.

Any account changes you make are reflected to you by a text message, which is sent to the mobile number you registered for any particular account, irrespective of the original user name which BMW set-up for that account.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #144
Atari Boy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E61 530d M Sport auto

BMW connect

I am struggling to get the Google map address text to my car. I have signed up for the service on the main BMW website and can get the weather etc on to show on the iDrive.
I have sent address from Goggle maps to the car but nothing shows up.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Jonny
2008 320d Edition M Sport Touring l Carbon Black l Black Dakota Leather l 18'' WTCC l Pro Nav l Logic 7 l DAB l Bluetooth l USB l Visability Package l Mirror Pack l Front and rear PDC l Sliding armrest
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #145
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Did you get a text to say the service had been activated?

Go to My Info then select updated messages and then you'll see the messages you've sent (providing you've been activated/set up)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #146
Atari Boy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
Did you get a text to say the service had been activated?

Go to My Info then select updated messages and then you'll see the messages you've sent (providing you've been activated/set up)
Yes, I have the text on my phone. I will have another loom tomorrow.
Thanks

Jonny
2008 320d Edition M Sport Touring l Carbon Black l Black Dakota Leather l 18'' WTCC l Pro Nav l Logic 7 l DAB l Bluetooth l USB l Visability Package l Mirror Pack l Front and rear PDC l Sliding armrest
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #147
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have only sent one message and had to go to 'My Info' to retrieve it. No other notification.

I found the so called 'Google maps' on the BMWConnectedDrive site to be pretty poor and flakey. Couldn't even find Longleat on the POI area under zoo's or parks nor Centre Parcs address. Kept putting the destination point within Warminster. Good job I actually knew how to get there. I was just testing the service on a route I already knew.

You would of thought it would have the same functionality as the main Google site eg. Postcodes!! Drag on drop of 'pins' etc.

Glad I'm not paying for the service so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #148
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Yep go to "My Info" and select "Update Messages" - it then retrieves the messages you have sent to the car
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #149
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
I have only sent one message and had to go to 'My Info' to retrieve it. No other notification.

I found the so called 'Google maps' on the BMWConnectedDrive site to be pretty poor and flakey. Couldn't even find Longleat on the POI area under zoo's or parks nor Centre Parcs address. Kept putting the destination point within Warminster. Good job I actually knew how to get there. I was just testing the service on a route I already knew.

You would of thought it would have the same functionality as the main Google site eg. Postcodes!! Drag on drop of 'pins' etc.

Glad I'm not paying for the service so far.
I use maps.google.co.uk
put in the location of where you want to go. eg the postcode
find a business nearby (it has to be a business )
click on send and then send that location to my car.

i've not used the bmw site.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 01:32 AM   #150
Atari Boy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorted, Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 03:30 AM   #151
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Yes, My Info works a treat. Before our recent road-trip through France to Spain I sent all the hotels and POI's we were planning to visit to the car from Google Maps from my home PC (Don't use the maps on the BMW website).

It's not just restricted to business's either, you can locate any address on Google Maps and select 'Send' from above the map to send the location to your car.

Once on the trip, the only problem I had was that the very last hotel we were planning to stop at was no longer showing in My Info, it had disappeared! I suspect that the messages in My Info only last 7days and then disappear if not opened. It wasn't a problem as I had access to the internet nearby and was able to Google it and send it to the car a second time.
      09-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #152
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
It's not just restricted to business's either, you can locate any address on Google Maps and select 'Send' from above the map to send the location to your car..
Thanks!!

I'd read on t'web that it was restricted to business, so assumed because the "send" button doesn't appear on non-business addresses it wasn't possible.

But it is....

Ta again
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #153
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
Yes, My Info works a treat. Before our recent road-trip through France to Spain I sent all the hotels and POI's we were planning to visit to the car from Google Maps from my home PC (Don't use the maps on the BMW website).

It's not just restricted to business's either, you can locate any address on Google Maps and select 'Send' from above the map to send the location to your car.

Once on the trip, the only problem I had was that the very last hotel we were planning to stop at was no longer showing in My Info, it had disappeared! I suspect that the messages in My Info only last 7days and then disappear if not opened. It wasn't a problem as I had access to the internet nearby and was able to Google it and send it to the car a second time.
How do you send from Google Maps to your car rather than from BMW Connected Drive?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #154
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Go on Google Maps

Put in a post code or destination

Go to top right of the map and click "Send"