E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > wrapped my car

05-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #397
k-series
Rep
Drives: 95 Civic Si

I agree, his posts were helpful at first but in the end, he's like any other businessman and doesn't want to give up all his trade secrets. I get that. However, to say we're "re-inventing the wheel" just doesn't make sense. You're right though, his contributions are good (my apologies) I guess I just didn't care for the last few statements.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #398
XYR03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-series View Post
I agree, his posts were helpful at first but in the end, he's like any other businessman and doesn't want to give up all his trade secrets. I get that. However, to say we're "re-inventing the wheel" just doesn't make sense. You're right though, his contributions are good (my apologies) I guess I just didn't care for the last few statements.

Steve
thanks you steve for the apology now lets all just get along here.
1998-E36 M3
2007-E92 328i[/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #399
xtreme_sign_guy
Rep
Drives: Custom Fabricated

Holy Crap!! I leave for the weekend and come back to this clusterf**k??? Man! I thought Pops and I were helping you out. I have read everything Pops has posted here and you can sense some humour and sarcasm in a lot of it. I do feel for him to get trashed like that after all he has put into this thread.
Everybody needs to relax and think before they post...

I just have one question to K-series...How old are you? Honestly...

I found this thread by searching for vehicle wraps, and I found it quite interesting that there are quite a few people out there wanting to attempt this themselves. I am pretty sure Pops and I have answered every question thrown at us with respect to all of you in this forum. And yes we are giving away "Trade Secrets" HA! LOL! That anyone with a PC and some Grey Matter can find themselves, just like any industry. Hell I could find out how to reset my own broken arm if I wanted to... But some things are better left to the experienced "Doc". Besides I live in Canada and healthcare is free up here! (For those of you without a funnybone, that was meant to be funny and not a shot at US health system!)

If someone came into my shop and wasted a couple hours of my time, asking me how to do this that and the other thing... I would boot his ass out the door. Because, I don't make any money standing around talking about $50 worth of vinyl he just bought... I would hope he screws up, so he comes back to me to do the install for him. Which happens about 7 out of 10 times.

Not everyone can apply vinyl... It doesn't come easy... Those of us who could wrap a car flawlessly and quickly on their first try have a talent that none of you will ever have. To think anyone can do it, well... you have another thing coming.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #400
wrapster
Registered
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Don't slam us for asking, you came on here to slam the OP for using sub-par material because you know better. When we start asking what's best, you slam us for not paying you to do it. Why not just say that from the beginning then we'll know not to ask you anything....

Since the largest part of this kind of work is labor, it's of course the easiest way to save money since DIY is all about removing the cost of labor. Now, if you don't have anything constructive to offer, just relax and watch as we re-invent the wheel. I'll say this however, once I figure out how to do it with some success, I'll gladly share my findings for FREE. :P

Steve
Dude. You OBVIOUSLY are not a business owner. Ahyesiam (aka Pops) was not slamming you for doing it. He and I both linked to this thread from a site we are members of. Pops knows his stuff! He would be more than happy (like Xtreme Sign Guy said) to let you mess up a bunch of vinyl and have you come back so he can put it on right. When you pay a pro to do it you aren't just getting a jacked price just because he feels like it. You are getting years of invested time, knowledge and training to give the customer the quality product they deserve. He also has to cover any overhead (if he owns a shop) and cover and insurance (if he is pro installer) and employee wages which includes insurance for them, any wage matching, benefits, etc that may come with retaining employees. Steve, back it down a notch buddy!

I will give props to the OP on a really really good first time installer. I think he wasted his time installing an inferior vinyl that quite honestly Pops is right when he says it has great potential to ruin the paint job. And again everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon blindly thinking he knows what he is talking about. I would question the quality of the work of his friend who supplied him the vinyl to wrap the car. Who in their right mind who makes decals who suggest that vinyl???? Not someone experienced with that. Seriously, trust Pops with what he is saying. He has WAY more experience than me and I learn from him all the time! He is very respected in our trade and is the real deal!

Last edited by wrapster; 05-03-2010 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #401
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325 is

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapster View Post
Dude. You OBVIOUSLY are not a business owner. Ahyesiam (aka Pops) was not slamming you for doing it. He and I both linked to this thread from a wrap site we are members of. Pops knows his stuff! He would be more than happy (like Xtreme Sign Guy said) to let you mess up a bunch of vinyl and have you come back so he can put it on right. When you pay a pro to do it you aren't just getting a jacked price just because he feels like it. You are getting years of invested time, knowledge and training to give the customer the quality product they deserve. He also has to cover any overhead (if he owns a shop) and cover and insurance (if he is pro installer) and employee wages which includes insurance for them, any wage matching, benefits, etc that may come with retaining employees. Steve, back it down a notch buddy!

I will give props to the OP on a really really good first time installer. I think he wasted his time installing an inferior vinyl that quite honestly Pops is right when he says it has great potential to ruin the paint job. And again everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon blindly thinking he knows what he is talking about. I would question the quality of the work of his friend who supplied him the vinyl to wrap the car. Who in their right mind who makes decals who suggest that vinyl???? Not someone experienced with that. Seriously, trust Pops with what he is saying. He has WAY more experience than me and I learn from him all the time! He is a very respected senior member on our vehicle wrap forum and is the real deal!
Dude, you made me blush. BTW my site is almost ready. this thread got me inspired over the weekend to get my online wrap magazine going.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #402
k-series
Rep

Quote:

Steve
I'll quote it since everyone is having a good time slamming me again. I already apologized and yes, I'm a business owner and I'm 34 for those wondering.

Again, I just didn't like how I read some of the responses, but I will say that it all could have been in how I interpreted them. It's not like we're sitting at the bar shooting the shit where sarcasm and such are easily detected.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #403
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'll quote it since everyone is having a good time slamming me again. I already apologized and yes, I'm a business owner and I'm 34 for those wondering.

Again, I just didn't like how I read some of the responses, but I will say that it all could have been in how I interpreted them. It's not like we're sitting at the bar shooting the shit where sarcasm and such are easily detected.

Steve
Thanks for the apologies Steve. I was trying to throw out a little humor there with the re inventing the wheel. I just saw a fresh group that is new to our craft and could not help but think history is repeating itself. Hey that is why we teach and it is refreshing to those of us that do to know we will always have students.

Now I must disappear again because I am swamped with work at the moment and after last winter I need all I can get. I am putting together a DIY forum and hopefully supply connections for all you so be patient I will be back as time permits.

~Pops
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #404
sshawk98
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black WS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahyesiam View Post
Thanks for the apologies Steve. I was trying to throw out a little humor there with the re inventing the wheel. I just saw a fresh group that is new to our craft and could not help but think history is repeating itself. Hey that is why we teach and it is refreshing to those of us that do to know we will always have students.

Now I must disappear again because I am swamped with work at the moment and after last winter I need all I can get. I am putting together a DIY forum and hopefully supply connections for all you so be patient I will be back as time permits.

~Pops
Who are some good installers in the Dallas TX area you would recommend ?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #405
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep

install

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshawk98 View Post
Who are some good installers in the Dallas TX area you would recommend ?
Send me you email to pops@wrap-lication.com
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #406
sshawk98
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black WS6

Quote:
Send me you email to pops@wrap-lication.com
Thank you will send now!!

Edit

I sent the email

Thank you Sean

Last edited by sshawk98; 05-04-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:53 AM   #407
Ghicks99
Rep
Drives: 07 M5/ 06 Trailblazer SS

Can any of you guys in the vinyl industry or can the OP possibly get vinyl at a decent price. Im looking to do this myself also
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #408
Navith@Varrstoen
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 5spd

My 48" x 10yd Oracal 651 Gloss Black Vinyl Came in yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #409
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navith@Varrstoen View Post

Please keep us informed with the experience of your application and take lots of pictures.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #410
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghicks99 View Post
Can any of you guys in the vinyl industry or can the OP possibly get vinyl at a decent price. Im looking to do this myself also
I will have an answer for you soon. I want to make sure before I say anything that it will be quality and reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #411
Lhand17
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jeep grand cherokee on 22s

VInyl wrap

Where did you get the Vinyl wrap enough for your whole care for only 120, please let me know because i am going to wrap my 350 z
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #412
XYR03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

Quote:
I will have an answer for you soon. I want to make sure before I say anything that it will be quality and reasonable.
def waiting on this before i start anything.
1998-E36 M3
2007-E92 328i[/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #413
Lhand17
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jeep grand cherokee on 22s

Pleas Let me know where you got your vinyl wrap for only 120 because i am trying to wrap my 350 z
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #414
k-series
Rep

He said he got it from a friend who works for a vinyl place. You won't find it that cheap. It'll be closer to $300.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #415
houseofgrafix
Registered
Rep
Drives: Rice

Been checking out this thread for a bit.

I thought you could never wrap a car in 631 but I was wrong.

djaemac

Great job thinking outside the box and finding a cheaper way to get stuff done.

I ordered some 631 in blue and am doing my car.

About 45 in to it so far.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #416
335iSSA
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

I want some Pringles! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofgrafix View Post
Been checking out this thread for a bit.

I thought you could never wrap a car in 631 but I was wrong.

djaemac

Great job thinking outside the box and finding a cheaper way to get stuff done.

I ordered some 631 in blue and am doing my car.

About 45 in to it so far.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #417
houseofgrafix
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navith@Varrstoen View Post
This 631 is way easier to work with then 651.
Watch out with the black its super easy to scratch.

Use some app fluid and heat.. take your time and you should be fine

I did a CF roof wrap.. turned out pretty cool

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #418
houseofgrafix
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iSSA View Post
I want some Pringles! LOL
Appreciate 0