E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Solution: Washer Wipe Wash Count

03-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
jc_bmw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i E90

Solution: Washer Wipe Wash Count

Just wondering have anyone tried coding the number of wipes when you do a windshield wash? Right now if you do a wash it will wipe 4 times. Is there a way to change it to 3? I find that the fourth wipe seems to smear more dirt back onto the windshield.

------ EDIT ------ SOLUTION:
You can do it in BMWhat (see post #13)

Or if you do it in NCS Expert:
  • Load ECU: JBBF (in my case it was called 2JBBF)
  • Read ECU
  • You can open up the FSW_PSW.TRC in Notepad or NCS Dummy (highly recommended - so much easier).
  • Look for ANZAHL_NACHWISCHZ_FRONT (by Default it has a value of wert_03)
  • Change it to one of the following:
  • wert_01 for 2 wipe
  • wert_02 for 3 wipe
  • wert_03 for 4 wipe
  • wert_04 for 5 wipe
Attached Images

09 E90 328i 3IM, Eurocharged, K&N, 80W LED Angel
Coding: Digi Speed, Express Up Fob, Wipe Wash Count, Weather Station, Headlight Sensitivity

Last edited by jc_bmw; 03-03-2015 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: solution found
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
wmuncaster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i PPK

JC, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have wondered if it is possible to code the car to put the wipers in "auto" every time it is started. It seems silly to me that we still have to manually activate the "automatic" rain-sensing wipers... I'd rather they just be in auto all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
jc_bmw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuncaster View Post
JC, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have wondered if it is possible to code the car to put the wipers in "auto" every time it is started. It seems silly to me that we still have to manually activate the "automatic" rain-sensing wipers... I'd rather they just be in auto all the time.
Don't think it is possible if you tried a search for it. Someone did ask that question before.

Which module would the wiper be listed under?

Coding: Digi Speed, Express Up Fob, Wipe Wash Count, Weather Station, Headlight Sensitivity
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuncaster View Post
Don't think it is possible if you tried a search for it. Someone did ask that question before.

Which module would the wiper be listed under?
"Auto" auto wipers is not possible.

Wiper functions are controlled in JBBF.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
jc_bmw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Did anyone tried pulling a trace to see if you can change the number of wipes?

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_bmw View Post
It must be something in the nettodat, and changing those hex may be tricky.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_bmw View Post
It must be something in the nettodat, and changing those hex may be tricky.
Can't recall if there are multiple wert values listed or not. But NETTODAT coding is fairly simple. If that is the case, hit me up if you need help.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #8
jc_bmw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
Can't recall if there are multiple wert values listed or not. But NETTODAT coding is fairly simple. If that is the case, hit me up if you need help.
So which model do I download first before looking into NETTODAT?

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Kenti
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: E90 06 320D

Garage List
It is possible with normal coding, at least on my 06 e90. Don`t remember the code, but it`s there
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
If you have BMWhat its possible to change, and it takes about 10sec
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #11
jc_bmw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
If you have BMWhat its possible to change, and it takes about 10sec
Any chance you have a screen shot of it? Just want to see what options there are in the BMWhat for this function.

I have pulled the trace for it under 2JBBF module.

Last edited by jc_bmw; 03-03-2015 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #12
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

JBBF: Number of wipes after windscreen cleaning
value 01
value 02
value 03
value 04
BMWhat: Number of wipes after windscreen is cleaned.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #13
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Here they are - 1st shot shows some of the available coding for the JBBF Module:

2nd is the option you are interested in:

I have been coding using NCSExpert since the Coding section of the forum first started.

While the software was free, loading it & setting it up was a slight PITA (saved my previous XP laptop specifically for this task), and having to search thru hundreds of lines of code, in German, to find what you were looking to code was not optimal.

I had already coded my car as far as I wanted with NCS or Nettodat, but decided to get the BMWhat setup just to check it out...

I got the BMWhat BT Dongle, & full version of the BMWhat app - running on both my Dell Android Tablet or LG G3 Android phone (you only need to buy the app once & then it can be installed on as many devices you own under your GMail account for free).

I must say, had this been out way back when, I would have gone with BMWhat & not bothered with NCS - the BMWhat app has just about everything that a person would normally want to code & then some - and they add more items all the time (and they take requests for items on their site also).

BT connects immediately, fast communication, user interface is relatively friendly, and best of all - all modules available & items under that module available to code are spelled out in English & very EZ to understand - with a description of what the specific coding will accomplish.

Basically, the BMWhat app is slicker than cat shit on linoleum & well worth the cost for anyone that wants to code the EZ way

Available modules to code include:
  • CAS
  • FRM
  • IHKA
  • KOMBI
  • CSM
  • DWA
  • JBBF

In addition to Coding you have:
  • Diagnosis to read any Fault codes from all your modules & the ability to clear all the faults
  • Parameter Function - set up to (6) parameters to monitor on Dashboard in real time from a list of hundreds
  • In Apps - additional add-ons available (depending on car) for Battery Registration (whether it be same type or new type) & Service Reminder Reset (for all your service reminders present)

When coding the app 1st reads your car to check for available/compatible ECU's for coding (about 10sec), after it lists them you choose the module & read in/backup all the existing data (another 10sec). It then lists all the canned items that can be coded within that module showing what you currently have set & the choices you can make. Change what you like & hit 'Code' it does the coding in about 10sec, turn car Off & back On again to realize the new values.

BMWhat Full App = $58 thru Google Play
BMWhat BT Dongle (Android) = $30 thru Amazon
Battery Reg Add-On = $11.50 thru Google Play (must have full app 1st)
Service Rem Add-On = $5 thru Google Play (must have full app 1st)

You can check out ALL the coding available for each module here:

http://www.ivini-apps.com/apps_detai...t_android.html

> A plus is that even though the company is located in Munich, either Parvis or Roman will reply to your emails usually within the same day (depending on when you call & time difference of course)

Just as an example here are the available items to code in JBBF module:

JBBF: Wiping interval standstill
3s
5s
BMWhat: Interval in seconds for windscreen wipers at standstill.

JBBF: Wiping interval rear window
not active
2s
4s
6s
8s
12s
BMWhat: Interval in seconds for windscreen rear window wipers.

JBBF: Rear wiper in reverse gear
not active
active
BMWhat: Rear wiper automatically turns on in reverse gear.

JBBF: Complete wiping cycle
not active
active
BMWhat: Wiping cycle is completed, when ignition is turned off.

JBBF: Wipe delay after windowscreen cleaning
0.1s
0.3s
0.5s
0.7s
BMWhat: Windscreen wipers wipe 0.x seconds after windscreen is cleaned.

JBBF: Wipe delay after rear window cleaning
0.1s
0.3s
0.5s
0.7s
BMWhat: Rear window wipers wipe 0.x seconds after rear window is cleaned.

JBBF: Number of wipes after windscreen cleaning
value 01
value 02
value 03
value 04
BMWhat: Number of wipes after windscreen is cleaned.

JBBF: Number of wipes after rear window cleaning
BMWhat: Number of wipes after rear window is cleaned.

JBBF: Head light cleaning
active
not active
BMWhat: Turn head light cleaning on/off.

JBBF: Number of windscreen cleanings until headlight cleaning
BMWhat: Head lights are cleaner every 3rd, 5th, 7th or 9th time the windscreen is cleaned.

JBBF: Number of splashes for head lights
BMWhat: Number of splashes for cleaning the head lights.

JBBF: Length of splash for head lights
0.7s
1s
0.5s
BMWhat: Length of a single splash for head light cleaning.

JBBF: Delay between splashes for head lights
1.3s
1s
1.5s
BMWhat: Delay between splashes for head light cleaning.
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #14
jc_bmw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Cool thanks!

I know a lot of people complain it is a pain to install INPA, NCS Expert, etc... never had that problem always worked for me the first time on Windows 7 32bit and now Windows 8 64bit. I have most of mine in English plus using NCS Dummy helps a bit too.

I have briefly tried BMWhat app and definitely is easier to setup and use.

Since I got everything setup using NCS Expert and all my previous coding done with it, I might as well finish it up using it.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #15
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

I found with other cars once you have access to translations and have coded one module it's very easy to code anything with NCS.

NCS dummy makes it even easier imo.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #16
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
I'm simply saying that even after years of experience with NCS coding, & the even easier Nettodat method - having both processes available to compare - I would recommend anyone (1st time user) that is looking to code their car - go with the BMWhat option hands down.

There's no making sure software is loaded correctly, no extra drivers to download/install, no learning curve, no chance of possibly making a mistake that yields bad results, no translation needed, much shorter coding time.

With a simple (4) clicks of a button & 1min time you can code as many options within (1) module as possible.

Cost of the BMWhat (including the App, BT Dongle, + Battery Reg & Service Reminder Reset) is still less than the cost of the proper/reliable OBD Coding cable related to NCS, & there is basically no effort involved to be effectively coding immediately after app install

If I had known all of this back when I started - the BMWhat would have been my choice without a doubt.

At this point, if I wanted to change any of my current coding, I wouldn't even bother using NCS - I'd go right to the BMWhat.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 10:51 PM   #17
jc_bmw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

OK got it working with NCS Expert! Updated my original post with the instructions for anyone else reading it from this point on.

Appreciate 0