E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Heads Up Display?

11-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Heads Up Display?

Hi All,

Title says it all really...

Mainly just for Speed and Selected Gear?

Is there anything out there after market that can project onto the windscreen?

Best,

Josh
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

its for the navigation too. my wife has it in her X3 and she loves it
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

OHHHH SO they do have it...

Where and how do i get it bud?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
its for the navigation too. my wife has it in her X3 and she loves it
Are you talking about oem HUD or aftermarket?

I didn't think 3 series had HUD available - I know it is option in 5 & 6 series, but even retrofitting it into one of those models would be too costly.

You would need the HUD module, appropriate wiring, HUD dash, HUD specific windshield (as BMW uses a specially curved windshield for this app that eliminates blurring/double images and incorporates a reflective film layer), and coding.

I too have been looking for a quality aftermarket HUD unit that uses OBDII connection for it's signals, has a slim/unobtrusive dash mounted unit, and displays well without addition of a reflective area applied to windshield.

> Defi used to make a unit (since discontinued in 07') but it had to be hardwired into electrical circuits & needed a pulse signal for speed such as the BMW DWS signal available in earlier models. Apparently the pulse provided by BMW was out of range for this unit and a custom pulse modulator needed to be made to divide factory signal by 2 or 4 to allow unit to work.

> ADD currently makes both a OBDII connection unit and GPS Unit:

http://www.amazon.com/Head-Display-S.../dp/B004YPBGLY

But unsure if the OBDII unit works properly with BMW?

> Another OBDII unit available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heads-Up-Dis...item3f105d665e

> Finally, there was another company from Taiwan (Springteq) that was supposed to be releasing a promising unit in 4th quarter 2010 called WeGo HUD, but I haven't seen it actually for sale anywhere...

It would be great to hear from someone that has installed an aftermarket HUD unit with good results
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

I can imagine an OEM unit being difficult and VERY EXPENSIVE!

all i want to display is the gear i am in, as well as the RPM and Speed...

I am sure those kits you linked too can do this... and they dont seem like they would be too difficult to install nicely...

Would be great to see someone who has installed it...

Im going to look around for aftermarket kits... But all help is much appreciated!!!

I am surprised that more people do not want HUD on their faster cars... i do not usually have time to look down at the Dials

edit...

Found this... but i dont think it would show the selected gear.. but looks smart and non obtrusive on the dash...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=6383976

whoops sorry... you had already amazon linked to that

Last edited by Josh1a1h; 11-23-2011 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

never considered this but it looks cool as shit and i want it. price tag isnt too bad either. whats involved in the install, i noticed the 360 infinite unit says "professional installation may be required"?
      11-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Actually, in this ad from 360 it states:

Quote:
Plug and Play for any 1996 and up Vehicles. install in 10 minutes or less.
No Professional Installation Required HUD System
This is same unit as I posted from Amazon - price is the same $159.99 everywhere I have looked.

Basically, the unit plugs into your OBDII port under DS dash to get power/signals, from there to control module, then finally on to the HUD unit on dash.

Don't think you'll need a pro to plug into your OBD port
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Actually, in this ad from 360 it states:

This is same unit as I posted from Amazon - price is the same $159.99 everywhere I have looked.

Basically, the unit plugs into your OBDII port under DS dash to get power/signals, from there to control module, then finally on to the HUD unit on dash.

Don't think you'll need a pro to plug into your OBD port

duuuuuudee... the showoff factor on this little gadget is through the roof!!
      11-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Is that darked out screen area a decal

It looks like you have to have a darkened area on the windshield to make it
work . Its kind of distractive if you have to put it to high.
I wonder how many values you can project at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
I've seen reviews of this on other BMW forums, and it was stated that the display was bright enough to work without the reflective area applied, idk how true that is, or just how well it shows up without it, but I do agree that having to use the reflective area is it's only downfall, as it appears it can be seen fairly well in daylight from the outside when it is applied.

Guess I could pick one up and try it out after the holidays - my $$ is all spent till end of year on toys due to upcoming vacation
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
You'll need some kind of glass to reflect the info off of. Otherwise, you'll have ghosting.

Basically, you just need a bright enough panel to reflect off the glass.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 01:20 AM   #12
Vee2k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI

sorry to bring up a old thread...but did anyone end up buying a aftermarket one?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #13
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
I am surprised that more people do not want HUD on their faster cars... i do not usually have time to look down at the Dials
I agree speed on screen for plod/cameras, nav directions etc. are useful but to suggest its just for fast cars is a bit???

if your driving fast then why on earth do you care about any of the above get used to the car and...

you know if you're in the right gear
you can feel/hear when to change up
you don't care how fast it is
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #14
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #15
Vee2k
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI

I've been using Vision Hud on the play store on my s4 and it works really well. I used it driving back in hard rain and never looked down once at my gauges. best of all it's free! Really cool for the all the techies on here.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #16
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Are you talking about oem HUD or aftermarket?

I didn't think 3 series had HUD available - I know it is option in 5 & 6 series, but even retrofitting it into one of those models would be too costly.

You would need the HUD module, appropriate wiring, HUD dash, HUD specific windshield (as BMW uses a specially curved windshield for this app that eliminates blurring/double images and incorporates a reflective film layer), and coding.

I too have been looking for a quality aftermarket HUD unit that uses OBDII connection for it's signals, has a slim/unobtrusive dash mounted unit, and displays well without addition of a reflective area applied to windshield.

> Defi used to make a unit (since discontinued in 07') but it had to be hardwired into electrical circuits & needed a pulse signal for speed such as the BMW DWS signal available in earlier models. Apparently the pulse provided by BMW was out of range for this unit and a custom pulse modulator needed to be made to divide factory signal by 2 or 4 to allow unit to work.

> ADD currently makes both a OBDII connection unit and GPS Unit:

http://www.amazon.com/Head-Display-S.../dp/B004YPBGLY

But unsure if the OBDII unit works properly with BMW?

> Another OBDII unit available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heads-Up-Dis...item3f105d665e

> Finally, there was another company from Taiwan (Springteq) that was supposed to be releasing a promising unit in 4th quarter 2010 called WeGo HUD, but I haven't seen it actually for sale anywhere...

It would be great to hear from someone that has installed an aftermarket HUD unit with good results
This is interesting. I have an aftermarket navigation and the connects2 harness has a wire for speed pulse. I wonder if it would also work for something like this.
Appreciate 0